HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Skokie History Project

   
<-- Prev records |   Records 51 to 101 of 938   | Next records -->

  1. Affiliated Bank Building Photograph, 1991
    Photograph of the Affiliated Bank building (formerly the Skokie Federal Savings & Loan building) located on the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street in Skokie, Illinois in 1991. The dome of the Village Hall can be seen in the background to the right. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  2. Agreement and Grant with the Northwestern Gas, Light & Coke Company.
    Agreement and grant for the Northwestern Gas, Light, and Coke Company to service Golf Rd. from North Branch Rd. to the Glenview Golf Club Grounds for 40 years. The owners of land in that section were John D. Derves, D. G. Drake and George P. Merrick.

  3. Albert Lies Greenhouse Postcard, circa 1910
    Postcard depicting the Albert Lies Greenhouse and residence in Niles Center, Illinois circa 1910. These buildings were located at Floral Avenue and Cleveland Street. Albert Lies was also a partner in Fred Stielows flower business. Handwritten note on the face of this card reads: Albert Lies Green Houses, Niles Center, Ill 2083. This postcard is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  4. Alfs Hall Grand Dance Admission Ticket, 1927
    Admission ticket to the Grand Dance sponsored by the Oakton Sunshine Club at Alfs Hall in Niles Center, Illinois on Saturday, February 6, 1926. Shown here are both sides of the ticket, side by side. The front of the card (left) shows the name of performing group, the Morton Grove Syncopaters, and an admission price of fifty cents. The back of the card (right) shows the song lyrics to "Cecilia" and "Normandy," along with an advertisement for the Niles Center Tavern; Chas. Landerer, Prop. Albert Alf was the proprietor of Alfs Hall. This ticket is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  5. Alma Elizabeth Klehm Studio Portrait, before 1900
    Studio portrait of Alma Elizabeth Klehm, the daughter of George C. Klehm and Eliza Harms Klehm. She was born in 1876 and died in 1974.Alma Klehm served Niles Center well as a teacher, school principal, Township treasurer, and organizer of several community organizations and social clubs. A free spirit as well as civic-minded, she traveled the country from Florida to Alaska and staked a claim as a pioneer in the American West. Upon returning to Niles Center she is known to have single-handedly protected her sister, Dr. Amelia Louise Klehm from the Black Hand, an extortionist gang. This photograph appears on page 48 of Skokie, 1888-1988: A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  6. Alma Klehm and Louise Klehm in a Buggy Photograph, 1904
    Photograph of Louise Klehm and Alma Klehm in a horse drawn buggy in a yard in front of a house in Niles Center, Illinois in 1904. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  7. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps Drum Section Photograph, 1956
    Photograph of the drum section of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320, located at 8212 Lincoln Avenue in Skokie, Illinois in 1956. People shown (left to right) back row: George Munser; unidentified; unidentified. Front row (left to right): Slingerland Rep; Frank Arsenault; unidentified; Len Penk. Drums read: "Skokie indians [sic]. American Legion Post 320. Skokie, ILL." The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  8. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps in New York, 1956
    Photograph of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 at Randalls Island in New York, New York in August 1956. People shown: Art Ripple, Music Director (on left in white jacket); Bob McGowan and Harold Holland (both in front row; exact location is not indicated). The rest of the people in this photograph are unidentified. Photograph is labeled: "American Legion National Convention. Randalls Island. New York City. August 1956." The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  9. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps National Championship Photograph, 1950s
    Photograph of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 at the Niles East High School football field in Skokie, Illinois in the 1950s. The Corps is shown here during their national championship celebration performance in a V-Shaped formation with flags in the middle. The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  10. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps on Armed Forces Day Photograph, 1950s
    Photograph of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 in the Armed Forces Day parade in Skokie, Illinois in the 1950s. The Corps is shown marching south on Lincoln Avenue just south of Oakton Street. Businesses shown (left to right): A & P Store; Northern Illinois Gas Company; Consumers Millinery Store; Florsheim Shoes; Walgreens Drug Store. The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  11. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps on Memorial Day Photograph, 1955
    Photograph of the members of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 in Skokie, Illinois in May 1955. Shown: Drum and Bugle Corps members on the steps of Niles East High School on the occasion of the Memorial Day parade. Drums read: "Skokie indians [sic]. Skokie Post 320. American Legion." The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  12. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps Recording Session Photograph, 1955
    Photograph of the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 in Wilmette, Illinois in 1955. The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph shows the entire band recording an album on the stage of the Wilmette Junior High School. The record came out April 1956. The individuals in this photograph have not been identified. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  13. American Legion Post 320 Drum & Bugle Corps Truck Photograph, 1954
    Photograph of the truck owned by the Skokie Drum & Bugle Corps of the American Legion Post 320 located at 8212 Lincoln Avenue in Skokie, Illinois in 1954. The truck was used to transport musical instruments and other equipment. Person shown: Len Pierkerski. Side of the truck reads: "Skokie indians [sic]. Drum & Bugle Corps. State Champions 52 - 53 - 55." Two American flags are attached to the front bumper of the truck. The Corps won the Illinois state championship in 1952, 1953, and 1955. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  14. American Legion Post 320 Hall Photograph, 1950s
    Photograph of the American Legion Hall Building, Post 320, located at 8212 Lincoln Avenue in Skokie, Illinois in the 1950s. Shown: the American Legion Hall Building with tank on display. Sign reads: "Home of Skokie Post 320; The American Legion Auxiliary." This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  15. American Legion Post 320 Members Photograph, 1940s
    Photograph of two members of American Legion Post #320 in Skokie, Illinois in the 1940s. Shown: Herman Giannini (left) and Ray Haben (right). This photograph appears on page 165 of Skokie, 1888-1988: A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  16. Anton and Gertrude Doetsch Family and Homestead Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the Anton and Gertrude Doetsch homestead located at 9901 Gross Point Road in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. Shown: family and friends gathered at the side of the Doetsch home. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  17. Apartment Building in College Hill.
    Apartment building in College Hill Subdivision.

  18. Architectural Drawings for Clara and Stella Blameuser Residence at 7915 Lorel Ave.
    Arcitectural Drawings for the home of Stella and Clara Blameuser at 7915 Lorel Ave. The drawings show the exterior views of the house, including the front, back, porch and overhead plot view. Detailed interior floor plans are included, as are detailed plans, for the bathroom, fireplace and bay windows. The architect and engineer was Joseph A. Dockendorff, 7900 Lorel Ave.

  19. Architectural Drawings for Edwin T. Klehm Residence.
    Architectural Drawings for Edwin T. Klehm home, which was located at the Northwest corner of Oakton St. and Floral Ave., until it was torn down in 1959. The home was the first to have indoor plumbing, powered by windmill, and the first to have electricity. The highly detailed drawings show all exterior views of the house including the front, back, sides, and roof. There are also interior floor plans for the entire house, including the first and second floors, the attic and the basement.

  20. Architectural Rendering of the North Shore Channel.
    Architectural Rendering of the North Shore Channel (As it could be developed and beautified North of Dempster Street.). Visualized by Eugene L. Swenson. View is of channel and surrounding neighborhood, looking East-Northeast toward Evanston and bound to the North by the Church Street Bridge and to the South by the Dempster Street Bridge. Possible improvements to the area include parks, fountains, playgrounds and tennis courts on both the East and West banks of the channel, as well as several boat landings.

  21. Architectural Rendering of the Sanitary District New Church Street Bridge at McCormick Boulevard.
    Architectural Rendering of the Sanitary District New Church Street Bridge at McCormick Boulevard. The image was copyrighted by Eugene L. Swenson. There is text on the back of the photograph, which reads, Photographic reproduction of a painting showing perspective of the Sanitary District New Church Street Bridge over the North Shore Channel at McCormick Blvd. You are at liberty to use this picture as you wish -- Eugene L. Swenson 3336 Church Street, Evanston, Illinois, Briargate 8224 -- Bridge Dedication Ceremonies at 2 p.m. Eugene L. Swenson Chairman Committee of Celebration--

  22. Arie Crown Hebrew Day School Photograph, 1986
    Photograph of the Arie Crown Hebrew Day School building located at 4600 Main Street in Skokie, Illinois in 1986. The school is on the former site of the Cleveland Public School. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  23. Arista B. Williams Portrait, circa 1900
    Photograph of Arista B. Williams, circa 1900, attorney-at-law and a co-founder of First National Bank of Skokie in 1907 (formerly known as the Niles Centre State Bank). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  24. Armond D. King Portrait, 1957
    Photograph of Armond D. King from 1957. King was a real estate agent in Niles Center and then later Skokie, Illinois, and was active in the community beginning in 1926. He was a member of the original Niles Township School District board; an organizer and a chairman of the Planning and Zoning Commissions; and chairman of the committee organized in 1940 to come up with a new name for Niles Center. It was King who suggested the name Skokie, a Potawatomi word for "big swamp." This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  25. Arthur Harrer Farm Photograph, 1915
    Photograph of the Arthur Harrer farm located at 4100 Dempster Street in Niles Center, Illinois in 1915. Arthur Harrer was the son of Benjamin Harrer. Shown: unidentified people on the grounds of the Harrer farm (background) with rhubarb crop (foreground). In 1920 a tornado destroyed the barn but left the house intact. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  26. Assessors Subdivision of Section 16, April 29, 1872
    This is an Assessors Subdivision map of Section 16 dated April 29, 1872. Properties/names listed (Note: Not all names on document are complete or legible.):H. Harms (2 acres; subdivision 1); C. Hoffman (10 acres; subdivision 2); H. Bodde (10 acres; subdivision 3); Daniel Biesman (10 acres; subdivision 4 and 10 acres; subdivision 5); Jno. Theobold (20 acres; subdivision 6); Jno. Schoethan [?] (4 11/100 acres; subdivision 7); Andreas Ross (15 89/100 acres; subdivision 8); P. Conrad (50 acres; subdivision 9); C. Dohm (30 acres; subdivision 10); John Kirscht (25 25/100 acres; subdivision 20); P. Kirscht (36 acres; subdivision 19); Mat. Dohm (10 acres; subdivision 11 and 65 acres; subdivision 31); C. Schaneck (10 acres; subdivision 12 and 10 acres; subdivision 13); Jno. Landeck (20 acres; subdivision 18); Henry Harms (10 acres; subdivision 14); Wm. Eggert (20 acres; subdivision 15); Peter Emmerich (20 acres; subdivision 16); Mat. Dotegge (20 acres; subdivision 17); Andreas Doigle (39 74/100 [?] acres; subdivision 23); Geo. Dant[illegible] (19 acres [?]; subdivision 24); Jas. Mills (26 88/100 [?] acres; subdivision 25); Jno. H. Kirscht (29 96/100 acres; subdivision 22); N. Hower (15 90/100 acres; subdivision 21 and 14 10/100 acres; subdivision 32); John Dohm (29 39/100 acres; subdivision 30); C. Ower (10 [?] acres; subdivision 29); John Wendott [?] (44 acres [?]; subdivision 28); Theodore Maas (10 acres; subdivision 26); Mich. Conrad (8 [?] acres; subdivision 27). It appears that subdivisions 33-36 are unclaimed.

  27. Auto Vehicle Tag Photograph, 1922
    Photograph of an auto vehicle tag from 1922. The circular metal tag reads: Niles Center; Auto Vehicle; 1922; 153. This photograph appears on page 78 of Skokie, 1888-1988: A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  28. Bachelor Maiden Club of Niles Center Group Portrait, circa 1900
    Photograph of members of the Bachelor Maiden Club of Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. The Bachelor Maidens arranged socials and sponsored an annual dance. Several members of the group later founded the Niles Center Womens Club in the 1920s. People shown (left to right, married names in parentheses): Alma Klehm; Louise Stielow; Emma Kruse (Wolters); Lucille Harrer (Little); Ann Schmitt; Florence Klehm (Freund); Elsie Stielow; Mae Stielow; Elizabeth Stielow. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  29. Baumann Home located at 7823 N. Kilbourn Ave.
    Baumann home located at 7823 N. Kilbourn Ave. The house was relocated from the 7300 block of Skokie Blvd., the site of the Allstate Insurance Property. The brick facade was added after relocation.

  30. Baumhardt Ice Cream Parlor Photograph, circa 1917
    Photograph of the Baumhardt Ice Cream Parlor located at 8023 Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1917. Shown: two unidentified women in an automobile (foreground) and an unidentified woman holding an infant is shown entering the store (background). Sign on Baumhardt window reads: "Ice Cream Soda." This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  31. Bed Warmer Photograph, circa 1800
    Photograph of a bed warmer from the 1800s. The photograph was taken around 1988 and appears on page 21 of Skokie, 1888-1988: A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  32. Behrendt Family Photograph, 1904
    Photograph of the Henry Charles Behrendt family in Niles Center, Illinois in 1904. People shown (front, left to right): Sophia (daughter); Sophia (nee Langfeldt); Marie (Mary); Henry Charles; Alvina; Minna (Minnie). Back, left to right: Henry Charles, Jr.; Bertha; Frederika (Freida); William; Charles; Caroline (Carrie); Louise (Loisa); Louis. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  33. Benjamin and Florence Emerson Residence, circa 1910
    Photograph of the Benjamin and Florence Emerson residence located at 3658 Church Street in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1910. Shown: unidentified women standing before the house. Benjamin Emerson built the house as a rental property. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  34. Berman Family ranch home under construction at 9339 Kostner Ave.
    Berman Family ranch home under construction at 9339 Kostner Ave. Notice the man standing on the roof.

  35. Bernard Marsh Photograph, 1959
    Photograph of Bernard "Ben" Marsh, Village Manager from 1959 to 1966 of Skokie, Illinois in 1959. Shown: Ben Marsh with an unidentified Boy Scout. This photograph appears on page 107 of Skokie, 1888-1988: A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  36. Bernard Marsh Portrait, circa 1960
    Photograph of Bernard J. (Ben) Marsh, circa 1960. Marsh was the Skokie Village Manager from 1959-1966. Marsh was the first Village Manager, a position that was created due to a groundswell of protest against corruption in certain departments of the village government. Although considered at first to be an inexperienced outsider, Ben Marsh proved to be a diligent reformer and an effective leader. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  37. Blameuser Bros. Florist Invoice, 1895
    Invoice written to Maggie Luebbers from Blameuser Brothers Florists, dated June 2, 1895. The invoice gives the address of the Blameuser Brothers greenhouses as 745 Wells Street and 8 Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois. This invoice is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  38. Blameuser Building Fire -- Crowd Photograph, 1940
    Photograph of the crowd gathered around a fire at the Blameuser Building on Oakton Street in Skokie, Illinois on November 25, 1940, just a little more than a week after Niles Center, Illinois was renamed Skokie, Illinois. The building was located on the northwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street and was built in the late 1800s. Peter Blameuser, Jr. was the buildings original owner. The Blameuser Building was eventually torn down. Businesses shown: The Gingham Shop; Ure Beauty Shop; Niles Center Tavern; Marion Shoe Repair; Oakton Barber Shop. People shown: not identified. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  39. Blameuser Building Fire -- Firemen and Volunteers Photograph, 1940
    Photograph of the fire at the Blameuser Building on Oakton Street on November 25, 1940, just a little more than a week after Niles Center, Illinois was renamed Skokie, Illinois. Shown: unidentified women serving coffee to unidentified fire fighters. Peter Blameuser, Jr. was the building's original owner. The Blameuser Building was eventually torn down. Businesses shown (in background): Pontiac; Drug Store; First National Bank of Niles Center; Sinclair Gas Station. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  40. Blameuser Building Fire Photograph, 1940
    Photograph of the fire at the Blameuser Building on Oakton Street on November 25, 1940, just a little more than a week after Niles Center, Illinois was renamed Skokie, Illinois. Shown: Firemen working to control the fire at the back of the building, second and third floor. Firemen shown are not identified. Peter Blameuser, Jr. was the buildings original owner. The Blameuser Building was eventually torn down. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  41. Blameuser Building Photograph, 1895
    Photograph of the Blameuser building in Niles Center, Illinois in 1895. The building was located on the northwest corner of Oakton Street and Lincoln Avenue and was built by Peter Blameuser, Jr. in the 1800s. The corner store was a furniture and coffin store run by Matthew C. Conrad. The top floor was a dance hall and the second floor rooms were rented. The people in this photograph are unidentified. Note the plow next to a boy (far left) and a man sitting in a wagon hitched to a horse (far right). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  42. Blameuser Building Postcard, 1907
    Postcard depicting the Blameuser Building on the northeast corner of Oakton Street and Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1907. Peter Blameuser, Jr. built the Blameuser Building in the 1800s. The people in the picture are unidentified. The Niles Center State Bank occupied the storefront seen on the far right. This postcard is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  43. Blameuser Homestead Photograph, 1970
    Photograph of the Blameuser homestead located at 4900 Oakton Street in Skokie, Illinois in 1970. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  44. Blameuser Motor Company Building Photograph, 1924
    Photograph of the Blameuser Motor Company in Niles Center, Illinois in 1924. Note the gasoline pump to the right. The building was located at 8008 Lincoln Avenue. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  45. Blameuser Residence Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the Blameuser residence at 8011 Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in the early 1900s. The house was built by Peter Blameuser, Jr. in 1872. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  46. Blameusers Residence & Lagoon Postcard, circa 1900
    Postcard showing Blameusers residence and lagoon located on the northeast corner of Oakton Street and Niles Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. Shown: the buildings of the Blameuser residence enclosed by a fence reflected in a lagoon. Handwritten note on the face of the card reads: Lagoon Niles Centre, Ill. This is followed by a note with an arrow that reads: Blameusers residence. Note the grain elevator and windmill (far left). The postcard is postmarked 1909 and is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  47. Blank real estate contract for Foreman-State Trust and Savings Bank.
    The contract was sent to Eugene L. Swenson to complete, regarding land that would be in possession of Foreman-State Trust and Savings Bank. The contract contains a caucasian clause, stating that no one who is not caucasian is allowed to lease or occupy the premise in question.

  48. Blueprint Map of Krenn and Datos Devonshire Manor Annex.
    This Krenn & Dato blueprint map of the Devonshire Manor Annex shows the area bordered by Simpson St. on the North, Lyons St. on the South, Kildare Ave. on the East and Kilbourne [sic] Ave. on the West. Other streets included in the area are Kostner Ave., Lowell Ave., Hamlin St., Foster St., Kenneth Ave., and Emerson St. There is an inset map indicating where Devonshire Manor is located in relation to Downtown Chicago and the surrounding North side of Chicago. Also on the map is a list of covenants and restrictions for the subdivision, regarding what can be built and where it can be built.

  49. Blueprint Map of Krenn and Datos Devonshire Manor.
    This Krenn & Dato blueprint map is of the entire Devonshire Manor subdivision, which is bordered by Church St. on the North, Dempster St. on the South and Niles Center Road on the West, and at its furthest point Keeler Ave. on the East. There is an inset map indicating the subdivisions location in relation to Downtown Chicago and the North side of Chicago. There is information regarding subdivsion restrictions, improvements to the area, contract terms and title information.

  50. Blueprint Plat Map of Dedication for Jefferson Avenue Survey, 1922
    Blueprint Plat Map of Dedication for Jefferson Avenue Survey, 1922

<-- Prev records |   Records 51 to 101 of 938   | Next records -->