HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Skokie History Project

   
<-- Prev records |   Records 501 to 551 of 937   | Next records -->

  1. Niles Center Glamor Girls Group Photograph, circa 1922
    Photograph of the Niles Center Glamour Girls group. People shown (left to right): Agnes Dahm; Irene Blameuser; Helen Siegel; Catherine Nelson; Agnes Blameuser; Frances Blameuser; Marie Miller; Caroline Harrer; Margaret Lies. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  2. Niles Center High School Girls Basketball Team Photograph
    Niles Center girls basketball team photograph. Helen Ruesch Alf is pictured in the front row, lower left.

  3. Niles Center Hotel Building Photograph, 1900s
    Photograph of the Niles Center Hotel located on the southeast corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street in Niles Center, Illinois in the 1900s. People shown on porch: unidentified. The hotel was started by Henry Harms in 1865 and destroyed by fire in 1911. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  4. Niles Center Hotel Interior Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the interior of the Niles Center Hotel located on the southeast corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. People shown (left to right): unidentified woman; Mrs. Rose; Fritz Rose (with mustache and hat); possibly Constable Andrew Schmitz next to Fritz Rose. The hotel was started by Henry Harms in 1865 and destroyed by fire in 1911. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  5. Niles Center Incorporation Papers, March 8, 1888
    Four-page printed and handwritten legal document finalizing the incorporation of Niles Center, Illinois into a village, dated March 8, 1888. An election was held March 6, 1888 to determine if the residents of Niles Center wanted to incorporate as a village. Out of 58 votes cast, 41 were in favor of incorporation, 16 were against incorporation as a village government, with one vote against incorporation in any form whatsoever. This is a reproduction from a photocopy. This document is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  6. Niles Center Mercantile Company Building Photograph, pre 1945
    Photograph of the Niles Center Mercantile Company located at 8045 Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois prior to 1945. The Niles Center Mercantile Company was established sometime after 1909 by George Busscher, Jr. and Anthony Paroubek . The awnings read: Paints, Hardware, Automobile, Harness, Furniture, Buggies, Wagons. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  7. Niles Center Mercantile Letterhead, 1917
    Niles Center Mercantile Co. letter dated January 18, 1917 and signed by A. Paroubek. Names listed: George Busscher, Jr., President; Anthony Paroubek, Vice-President and Treasurer; John E. Brown, Secretary. The Niles Center Mercantile Company, a large general store originally geared towards truck farming, was founded by the three men around 1909 in Niles Center, Illinois. This document is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  8. Niles Center Northwestern Station Building Photograph, 1926
    Photograph of the Niles Center Northwestern Railroad station located at Oakton Street just west of Cicero Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1926. Shown: Niles Center Northwestern station with Depot Master Thompson standing on platform. Note the train passing behind the station. The Northwestern Railroad began service to Niles Center some time between 1910 and 1915. Before this station was built, Niles Center residents had to travel to the station in Morton Grove, Illinois. This photograph appears on page 69 of Skokie, 1888-1988 : A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  9. Niles Center Northwestern Station Building Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the Niles Center Northwestern Railroad station located at Oakton Street just west of Cicero Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois circa 1900. Shown: a view of the station facing south. Photograph is labeled: "C. & N. W. R. R. Sta. Niles Center ILL." The Northwestern Railroad began service to Niles Center some time between 1910 and 1915. Before this station was built, Niles Center residents had to travel to the station in Morton Grove, Illinois. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  10. Niles Center Police Department at Village Hall Photograph, circa 1935
    Photograph of members of the Niles Center Police Department standing on Village Hall steps in Niles Center, Illinois circa 1935. Shown: Five unidentified men standing before a police vehicle (left); five unidentified men sitting on motorcycles (right); eight standing unidentified men (background). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  11. Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter
    This Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter includes the Armistice Day program as well as a list of upcoming American Legion events.

  12. Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter
    The main article of this Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter is about the show Beauty Secrets, a comedy performed by Legionnaires dressed as women.

  13. Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter
    This Niles Center Post No. 320 American Legion Newsletter discusses the proposed American Legion Universal Service Bill.

  14. Niles Center Post Office Interior Photograph, 1901
    Photograph of the interior of the Niles Center Post Office located in the Schoeneberger General Store on the southwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Brown Street in Niles Center, Illinois in 1901. Shown: three unidentified men and four unidentified youths posing with a stack of empty mailbags. Note the handcart loaded with mailbags which are probably filled with mail (right foreground). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  15. Niles Center Public School 1898 Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1898 class photograph. There are three rows of students standing in front of the school. The teacher is standing in the second row at the far left. The students are most likely in grades kindergarten through 2nd grade.

  16. Niles Center Public School 1898 Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1899 graduation photograph. The photograph is of the graduating exercises on June 30, 1899. Julia and Herman Meyer are identified in the photograph. Julia is in the third row, fifth from the left and Herman is in the fourth row, top left.

  17. Niles Center Public School 1898 Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1898 class photograph. There are three rows of students standing in front of the school. The teacher, Alma Klehm, is sittting in the second row , second from the left. The students are most likely in grades 3rd thorugh 5th.

  18. Niles Center Public School 1902 Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1902 class photograph. The students and teacher are posing outside the school building. The following are identified: Harold W. Klehm is kneeling in the first row, fourth from the left, and Ms. Addie Rosein is standing in the third row at the far right.

  19. Niles Center Public School 1916 Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1916 class photograph.The students and teacher are in front of the school. The students are indetified as follows: first row, sitting (left to right): Walter Ruesch, ? Zinkel, Herburt Lieger, Fred Lumpp, Wally Hanson, Robert Lumpp, Alphonse Lieger, Herbert Artelt; second row, sitting (left to right): Robert Kutz, Lisle Kruse, Carl Lange, ? Kester, ? Mainhofer, ? Gross, Otto Drickey, Edward Rail, Ted Schwartz; third row, standing (left to right): Dororthy Middlestade, Mildred Tess, Evelyn Maier, Florence Landeck, Mildred Lang, ? Neuman, Therese Schwitzer, Adeline Kaisen and Agnes Hardy. The teacher standing at the far left is not identified.

  20. Niles Center Public School 1929 7th Grade Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1929 7th grade class photograph. The students and teacher pose in the gymnasium. The students and teacher are indentified as follows: first row, seated, (left to right): ? Rohde, 5 unidentified boys, Fred Tiegert, Milton Remke, Willie Gross, Harold Baumhardt; second row, kneeling (left to right): Ralph Rierdean, Robert Kreegier, Pat Gross, Harvey "Slim" Lange, Harold Ide, Sidney Dijon, Art Honickel, Robert Von Gillern, Ervin W. Brei, Leon ?; third row, standing (left to right): Mr. Martin Smyser (teacher), Lucille Tiegert, Virginia Rhode; Helen Swieberg, Anna Lisa Munch, Violet Brei, Mildred Brunger, Rose Wenzel, Florence Biesman, Grace Baumhardt; fourth row, standing (left to right): Nina Owens, Doris Lump, Margaret Katke, Mary June Sparr, Maria Yates, Frieda Lewe, Helen Whalebrundt, Pearl Rhode, Ann Katke, and June Stenson.

  21. Niles Center Public School 1st & 2nd Grade Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School first and second grade class photograph. The school had four rooms; one for the 1st and 2nd grade; one for 4th through 6th grade; one for 7th and 8th grade; and one room not yet completed when the photograph was taken. The students and teacher pose outside the school buildng and are identified as follows: first row, seated (left to right): Irene Klehm, unidentified girl, Pearl Klehm, Ruby Klehm, Kate Scherer, Anna Quiram, Maggie Weiss, William Stielow; second row, seated (left to right): Walter Baumann, Lizzie Hachmeister, Stella Ensch, unidentified boy, Herbert Wendt, Elmer Galitz, unidentified boy, Fred Lumpp, three unidentitified boys; third row, standing (left to right): unidentified girl, Evelyn Brown Flynn, Grace Klehm, unidentified girl, Ella Lindemann, unidentified girl, Jeanette Proesel, Willie Segenousch, Albert Baumann, George Weiss, Herman Rade; fourth row, standing (left to right): Herman Scherer, Art Stielow, Pearl Quiram, unidentified boy, ? Glauner, Otto Gerhardt, two unidentified boys, Frank Maierhofer, Miss Scott (teacher), and unidentified boy.

  22. Niles Center Public School 1st Grade Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School first grade class photograph, taken in 1916, in front of the school. The teacher, Evelyn Brown, daughter of John W. Brown, is standing in the top row fifth from the left. Bess Rudolph is identified as standing in the top row furthest to the left.

  23. Niles Center Public School 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School 1906 8th grade class photograph. May have included 6th and 7th grade students, as well. The students and teacher are standing in front of the school, which has the sign District Number 7 Public School above the door. Tthe students are identified as follows: first row, seated (left to right): Kate Sherer, Ella Lindemann, Myrtle Harms, Irene Klehm, Grace Klehm, Jessie Gay, Ruby Klehm; second row, seated (left to right): Albert Baumann, Herbert Wendt, Henry ?, Fred Lumpp, Elmer Galitz, Edward Harms, Willie Stielow, Walter Stielow, Harold Klehm; third row, standing (left to right): Arthur Baumann, Gertrude Baumhardt, Jeanette Proesel, Ruth Fromhold, Evelyn Brown Flynn, ? Gabriel, Walter Baumann; and fourth row, standing (left to right) Mrs. Sara Gay (teacher), and Emil Proesel.

  24. Niles Center Public School Building with Children Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the Niles Center Public School building located at Madison Street just east of Niles Center Road in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. Niles Center Public School was later renamed Lincoln Junior High School. The building was used until 1927. Shown: Niles Center Public School building with unidentified children in front. Note the boy on a bicycle (center, right) and a girl using a water pump. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  25. Niles Center Public School Children and Building Photograph
    Niles Center Public School group photograph. Students and teachers pose in front of the school building. The entire building can be seen in the phtograph. The school was located at Niles Center Rd. and Madison St., on the present location of the post office.

  26. Niles Center Public School Class Photograph
    Niles Center Public School class photograph. The students and teacher are posing in front of the school, and there is a sign above the door reading District Number 7 Public School. The students are seated, while the teacher stands in the back.

  27. Niles Center Public School Classroom Photograph, 1901
    Photograph of a Niles Center Public School classroom in Niles Center, Illinois in 1901. Niles Center Public School was later renamed Lincoln Junior High School. The building was used until 1927. Shown: teacher Elizabeth E. Scott (standing in center background) and schoolchildren seated at desks. Note the peacock feathers, possibly from the Niles Center Hotel, on the wall above Scotts head. This photograph appears on page 153 of Skokie, 1888-1988 : A Centennial History, which is available online http://skokiecentennialbook.com .

  28. Niles Center Public School Photograph, circa 1900
    Photograph of the Niles Center Public School building located at Madison Street just east of Niles Center Road in Niles Center, Illinois, circa 1900. Niles Center Public School was later renamed Lincoln Junior High School. The building was used until 1927. Shown: Niles Center Public School building with three individuals standing in front. Teacher Alma Klehm is in the center. The other two people in the photograph are unidentified. Note the American flags held by the man at left and on the flagpole on the buildings roof. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  29. Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior Photograph, 1928
    Photograph of the interior of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms, located at 8146 Floral Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1928. The building was built in 1925. Shown: metal-embossed ceiling fans with pull cords (top); spectator seating (center); bowling lanes with bowling balls (bottom). The Niles Center Recreation Rooms, owned and operated by Al Lies, offered billiards, miniature golfing, bowling and a bar. It was Niles Centers first bowling alley and still stands today as the Skokie Lanes. In 1925 Lies built a miniature golf course (now a parking lot) on the north side of the building. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  30. Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior View of Bowling Lanes Photograph, 1928
    Photograph of the interior of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms, located at 8146 Floral Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1928. Shown: metal-embossed ceiling fan with pull cord (center foreground); bowling lanes with hand set pins (center background); bowling balls and score board (right foreground). The Niles Center Recreation Rooms, owned and operated by Al Lies, offered billiards, miniature golfing, bowling and a bar. It was Niles Centers first bowling alley and still stands today as the Skokie Lanes. In 1925 Lies built a miniature golf course (now a parking lot) on the north side of the building. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  31. Niles Center Recreation Rooms Interior with Pool Tables Photograph, 1926
    Photograph of the interior of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms, located at 8146 Floral Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1926. Shown: front entrance and bar (left, background); pool tables (center); cues hung on rack (right, background). The Niles Center Recreation Rooms, owned and operated by Al Lies, offered billiards, miniature golfing, bowling and a bar. It was Niles Centers first bowling alley and still stands today as the Skokie Lanes. In 1925 Lies built a miniature golf course (now a parking lot) on the north side of the building. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  32. Niles Center Recreation Rooms Miniature Golf Course Photograph, 1925
    Photograph of the miniature golf course located on the north side of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms at 8146 Floral Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1925. The golf course was built in 1925 as an addition to the Niles Center Recreation Rooms, a recreation facility with a billiard hall, bowling alley, and a bar; which still stands today as the Skokie Lanes bowling alley. The site of the miniature golf course is now a parking lot. Shown: Al Lies standing in the center of the course. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  33. Niles Center Recreation Rooms Photograph, circa 1920
    Photograph of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms located at 8146 Floral Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois circa 1920. Shown: front entrance of the Niles Center Recreation Rooms with an automobile parked in front on Floral Avenue. The Niles Center Recreation Rooms, owned and operated by Al Lies, offered billiards, miniature golfing, bowling and a bar. It was Niles Centers first bowling alley and still stands today as the Skokie Lanes. In 1925 Lies built a miniature golf course (now a parking lot) on the north side of the building. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  34. Niles Center Road and Dempster Street Intersection Photograph, 1926
    Photograph of Niles Center Road facing north towards Dempster Street in Niles Center, Illinois in October 1926. Note the unusual architecture of the Krenn & Dato Real Estate "temple" building (far right background). Photograph is labeled: "Niles Center Road and Dempster Street looking Northeast on Niles Center Road. Oct. 1926." This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  35. Niles Center Road at Skokie Boulevard Photograph, 1964
    Photograph of the intersection of Niles Center Road Skokie Boulevard in Skokie, Illinois in 1964. Shown (clockwise): Fergus Ford sign with a car on pedestal (left); Sure Save Food Mart (right); Phillip 66 gas station (center, background); Gulf gas station (left, background). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  36. Niles Center Road from George Street Photograph, circa 1910
    Photograph of Niles Center Road from George Street in Niles Center, Illinois circa 1910. Shown: St. Paul Lutheran Church (left); Niles Center water tank located at the intersection of Niles Avenue, Elmwood Avenue and Searle Parkway (center, background). Photograph is labeled: "Main St. Looking No., Niles Center, ILL." This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  37. Niles Center School 1908 Graduating Class Photograph
    Niles Center School 1908 graduation photograph. The students are wearing ribbons and holding their diplomas. The students and teacher are identifed as follows: first row, seated (left to right): Pearl Klehm, Otto Gerhardt, Jeanette Proesel, Lydia Brunger, Adam Busscher, Ruby Klehm; second row, kneeling (left to right): Grace Klehm, Arthur Stielow, Evelyn Brown; third row, standing (left to right): Gertrude Kindt, Albert Baumann, Jessie Gay, Walter Baumann, Mrs. Sara Gay (teacher), Ruth Fromhold and Arthur Baumann. On the back of the photograph the class motto, colors and flower are identified as such: motto: Work & Win; colors: pink and green; flower: pink rose.

  38. Niles Center State Bank Building Photograph, 1910s
    Photograph of the west main entrance of the Niles Center State Bank building on Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in the 1910s. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  39. Niles Center State Bank in the Blameuser Building Photograph, 1900s
    Photograph of the Niles Center State Bank, located in the Blameuser Building on the northwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street in Niles Center, Illinois in the 1900s. Peter Blameuser, Jr. built the Blameuser Building in the 1800s. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  40. Niles Center Telephone Exchange Map, July 31, 1912
    Niles Center Telephone Exchange Map, July 31, 1912

  41. Niles Center Theatre Building Postcard, early 1900s
    Postcard depicting the Niles Center Theatre in Niles Center, Illinois in the early 1900s. The theatre was located at 7924 Lincoln Avenue. The Niles Center Theatre was owned by Samuel Meyer. This postcard is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  42. Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company Photograph, 1898
    Photograph of the Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company taken at Floral Avenue Engine House in Niles Center, Illinois in 1898. People shown standing near horse (left to right): unidentified; Andrew Schmitz; Peter Baumhardt. People shown on ground (left to right): unidentified; unidentified; Carl Harrer; Edwin Harms; George Busscher. An unidentified man sits on a wagon hitched to a horse on the far right. The spire of St. Peter Catholic Church can be seen in the far background (center). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  43. Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company Photograph, pre 1918
    Photograph of seven members of the Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company on a fire truck on Lincoln Avenue at Cleveland Street in Niles Center, Illinois before 1918. People shown: fire truck driver Elmer Baumhardt (left); five unidentified fire fighters dressed in oilskin and hats (center); unidentified man in shirt and tie standing on back of fire truck (right). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  44. Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1 Photograph, 1881
    Photograph of the Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1 taken in front of Niles Centre House owned by Peter Blameuser, Jr. located at 8046 Lincoln Avenue in Niles Center, Illinois in 1881. People shown (left to right): Fred Stielow, Vice President; H. Kolf, Secretary; George C. Klehm, President; Adam Harrer, Chief. The Niles Center Volunteer Fire Company was organized on May 6, 1881 after a fire destroyed a local home. The other people in this photograph are unidentified. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  45. Niles Center Volunteers Photograph, 1917
    Photograph of wartime volunteers holding American flags in Niles Center, Illinois before leaving for Camp Grant in Rockford, Illinois in 1917. People shown (back, left to right): Joe Weiss; unknown; Howard Klehm; unknown; unknown; unknown; unknown; unknown; Meinke (first name unknown). Front, left to right: unknown; unknown; unknown; Penny Baumann; Arthur Stielow; unknown; Bucknerhauer (first name unknown). This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  46. Niles Center Water Tank Photograph, 1915
    Photograph of the Niles Center water tank in Niles Center, Illinois in 1915. The water tank was located at the intersection of Niles Avenue, Searle Parkway, and Elmwood Avenue. Water was pumped from a ground well into the upper storage tank. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  47. Niles Center Womans Club Photograph, 1930s
    Photograph of seven members of the Niles Center Woman's Club in Niles Center, Illinois in the 1930s. Shown: Pearl Mayer (far left, middle row). The other women are unidentified. The Niles Center Woman's Club was formed in 1926 at the suggestion of Dr. A. Louise Klehm. It continues today as the Woman's Club of Skokie, making it the oldest community service organization in Skokie, Illinois. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  48. Niles Center Womans Club Photograph, 1968
    Photograph of members of the Niles Center Woman's Club in Skokie, Illinois in 1968. Shown are members of 25 years or more: Margaret Suel Haben (second from right, in black dress with wide-brim hat); the other women are unidentified. The Niles Center Woman's Club was formed in 1926 at the suggestion of Dr. A. Louise Klehm. It continues today as the Woman's Club of Skokie, making it the oldest community service organization in Skokie, Illinois. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  49. Niles Center, Illinois Village Board Photograph, 1915
    Photograph of Niles Center, Illinois 1915 Board of Trustees shown in the old firehouse. People shown (left to right): Christian Blameuser, Trustee; Robert Hoffman, Trustee; Albert Lies, Trustee; Samuel Meyer, Trustee; George H. Klehm, Mayor; John W. Brown Sr., Trustee; Richard Kruse, Trustee; Charles Langfield, Clerk. This photograph is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

  50. Niles Centre Bachelor Maidens Party Invitation, 1907
    Party invitation from the Niles Centre Bachelor Maidens dated May 25, 1907. The invitation reads: "The Niles Centre Bachelor Maidens desire your presence at their Annual May Party. May Twenty-Fifth; Nineteen Hundred and Seven. Seven OClock. Morton Grove Hall. One Dollar a Couple. Extra Ladies, Fifty Cents." Envelope (not shown) addressed to: Mr. & Mrs. John Paroubek. The Bachelor Maidens arranged socials and sponsored an annual dance. Several members of the group later founded the Niles Center Womens Club in the 1920s. This invitation is part of the collection of the Skokie Historical Society.

<-- Prev records |   Records 501 to 551 of 937   | Next records -->