HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Southeast Chicago Historical Society

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 290   | Next records -->

  1. Acme Steel - Compact Strip Production Facility Panoramic Drawing
    Artist's rendition of Acme Steel "World's First Mini-Grated Compact Strip Production Facility", Riverdale, IL.

  2. Acme Steel - Interlake Iron Corporation Family Tree, 1932
    "Family tree" of Interlake Iron Corporation from World's Work Magazine, January 1932.

  3. Acme Steel - Whaleback Ship
    Early whaleback lake boat unloading at Federal Furnace, predecessor company to Acme/Interlake Steel. Boats tied up along the Calumet River to unload cargo at Federal Furnace. Blast furnace and stoves are visible in the background. Location at approximately 107th and Calumet River. c1913

  4. Bridges - 106th Street Swing Bridge
    An early version of the 106th Street swing bridge across the Calumet River, looking northeast, c1912. Note the electric trolley crossing the bridge and, far in the distance, Gallistel School. At right is the Keystone grain elevator. The bridge connected the East Side and South Deering communities.

  5. Bridges - 92nd Street
    c1912. Old 92nd street swing bridge over Calumet River connected communities of South Chicago and East Side. View looks west across river toward earliest section of South Chicago near Harbor Avenue. The scene also reflects the river traffic bottleneck caused by swing bridges which were built on piers in the middle of the river channel.

  6. Bridges - 95th Street Draw Bridge
    Photo from postcard. View of 95th Street Bridge looking north from west bank of the Calumet River. The bridge connected the South Chicago and East Side communities and was built in the early 1900s to replace a swing bridge that was located at this site. This bridge was replaced in the late 1950s.

  7. Bridges - Calumet River at 106th Street
    c1915. 106th Street bridge over the Calumet River. View NW from east side of the river.

  8. Bridges - Calumet River Railroad Bridges
    Four railroad elevator lift bridges crossing the Calumet River at 96th Street. Lake boat passing under, steel mills in the distance. Small structures on top center of the bridges were occupied by bridge tenders. c1915

  9. Bridges - New 95th Street Bridge
    c1910. Color postcard aerial view of 95th Street Bridge over the Calumet River. Bridge is open for river traffic. Trolley cars on 95th Street on both sides wait for bridge to close. Beyond the bridge on left is early grain elevator. On right is Turning Basin No. 1 and in the distance, steel mills are visible. Bridge was constructed in early 1900s.

  10. Bridges - New B & O Railroad Bridge
    View of bridge north across the Calumet River at about 96th Street. One of the most important rail crossings connecting Chicago with rail lines to the east and northeast. This single leaf bascule bridge was built in 1912. In the background a swing bridge can be seen. By 1915, four new lift bridges had been built allowing ten sets of tracks to cross the river.

  11. Bridges - Pennsylvania Railroad Bridges
    Construction of railroad elevator lift bridges crossing the Calumet River at 96th Street. View shows construction of the two bridges for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago RR. Old Lake Shore & Michigan Southern RR swing bridge is visible in the distance. View is north toward mouth of Calumet River and Lake Michigan.

  12. Bridges - Pennsylvania Railroad Bridges c1915
    Ralroad Elevator lift bridges crossing the Calumet River at 96th Street, looking north. First two bridges in view were built for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago RR and were completed in September, 1913. Next two bridges were built for Lake Shore & Michigan Southern RR and were completed in 1915. Beyond four lift bridges is the B&O single leaf bascule bridge completed in 1913 but not open to traffic because of conflict with earlier bridges. Bridges in view are open to allow lake boats to pass under. In distance, steel mills can be seen. In 1965, the second bridge in this view was demolished. Currently, only the bridge closest in view (farthest south) is still used by rail traffic.

  13. Bridges - Railroad Bridge Across the Calumet River
    South Chicago, IL. Substructure of new bascule bridge across the Calumet River, built for the Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Company for Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company. Bridge design is described as a single leaf bascule bridge, also called a "jack knife" bridge. Page 102 from Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company book.

  14. Bridges -Calumet River Railroad Bridges
    View toward SW of multiple railroad bridges crossing Calumet River at about 98th Street. In foreground is B&O RR single-leaf bascule bridge. Beyond B&O are four lift bridges. Next two were built for the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern RR (later New York Central). Last two were built for Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago RR (later Penn. RR). c1918

  15. East Side - 100th and Ewing Avenue
    Streetscape of Ewing Avenue looking south from 100th street c1910. Filson Saloon, 10003 South Ewing, at left. Streetcar tracks visible.

  16. East Side - Calumet Park Beach
    Early 1900s. Beach scene of Calumet Park. View looks east toward Indiana. People are in the water and on the beach. Picnic pavillion and beach house are visible in the background. Photo from postcard.

  17. East Side - Ewing Avenue
    Streetscape of Ewing Avenue looking north from 100th Street c1910. Hotel St. Elmo (9921 South Ewing) at right. Street car tracks visible. Original shopping district of East Side community was centered around 99th Street and Ewing Avenue. As community grew, development moved south.

  18. East Side - Panoramic View
    View of East Side from Albert Schwill Plant located at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of five images. Shown in foreground is dirt road, currently Indianapolis Boulevard. Also in view at center is Bethlehem Lutheran Church, at right center is St. Francis De Sales Church and School, and grain elevators along the Calumet River.

  19. East Side - Panoramic View
    c1912. View of East Side Albert Schwill Plant located at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of five images. Shown in the foreground is a dirt road, currently Indianapolis Boulevard. Also in view is Gallistel School (center right). In center background are Keystone Grain Elevator and mills along the Calumet River.

  20. East Side - Panoramic View from Albert Schwill Company c1912
    View of East Side from Albert Schwill Plant location at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of six images. Shown at lower left are railroad tracks running parallel to Indianapolis Blvd. Most of the photo shows Calumet Park and Taylor Pier. Lake Michigan is at right. In distance in smoke and haze is Illinois Steel South Works.

  21. East Side - Panoramic View from Albert Schwill Company c1912
    View of East Side from Albert Schwill Plant located at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of six images. Shown at left and right are railroad tracks running parallet to Indianapolis Blvd. Currently the Chicago Skyway runs along with same route. At right, trees of Calumet Park and Lake Michigan can be seen.

  22. East Side - Panoramic View from Albert Schwill Company, 1912
    View of East Side from Albert Schwill Plant located at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of six images. Shown in foreground is dirt road, now Indianapolis Blvd. Also in view are Pennsylvania RR tracks, now Burnham Greenway.

  23. East Side - Panoramic View from Albert Schwill Company, c1912
    View of East Side from Albert Schwill Plant located at 103rd and Avenue C. Part of a set of six images. Shown in foreground are railroad tracks running parallet to dirt road, now Indianapolis Boulevard. In background St. Francis De Sales Church and School are visible, and in the distance, grain elevators along Calumet River.

  24. East Side - Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
    Pennsylvania Railroad East Side station, c1908, located at 100th Street and Ewing Avenue. The station is at ground level. The tracks would be elevated a few years after the photo was taken. View looks west, intersection of 100th Street and Avenue L is to the left of the station in the background. House visible at right on Avenue L.

  25. East Side - Von Zimgibl Grave Site
    c1950. The grave site of Andreas Von Zimgibl is located near 93rd and the Calumet River in the middle of a scrap yard. This view shows the grave surrounded by a wooden fence. Stacks of nearby steel mills are in the background. Vin Zimgibl was an early resident of the area and requested that he be buried on his land.

  26. East Side - Willy Hardware Store
    Willy Hardware was established by George Willy in 1902 at 10550 Ewing Avenue. Picture shows Geroge Willy in front of the store.

  27. East Side and Calumet River
    Photograph of a postcard. Bird's eye view of East Side and Calumet River, South Chicago IL. In view are 95th Street, 95th Street Bridge, Iroquois Iron and Steel, railroad swing bridges across the Calumet River at 96th Street and grain elevator south of Railroad bridges. View looks south. c1908

  28. East Side Centennial Commoration booklet
    East Side Centennial Commemoration booklet, "History and Progress of East Side 1851-1951 July 4, 6, 7 and 8 Chicago 17, Illinois"

  29. East Side parade float
    Robert E. L. Brooks, Inc. float, part of the 106th Street Bridge Opening Celebration, in front of the East Side Bank, 101st and Ewing Avenue. Truck was property of C. G. Osterberg Co. Circa 1930

  30. General Mills - Big G Conveyor, September-October 1982
    General Mills plant magazine, the Big G Conveyor, September-October 1982. Issue includes article about Charley Gill, Plant Manager from 1971 to 1982 and pictorial article about improvements at plant in 1982.

  31. Hegewisch - Beacon Tower
    In 1936, Hegewisch resident John Serafin built this radio tower to house a planned local radio station. Serafin was injured during construction, and the project was never completed. The tower stood for a number of years on 133rd and Baltimore Avenue. The land was sold to a funeral parlor next door for a parking lot. The tower was referred to as the "Beacon".

  32. Hegewisch - Dedication of 130th Street Bridge, 1949
    Veterans orginizations lead parade dedicating bridge. The fixed span bridge replaced a swing bridge. The bridge marks the end of the St. Lawrence Seaway, which handles lake boats and ocean ships and the beginning of the Illinois Waterway primarily used by barges and recreational boats.

  33. Hegewisch - Delaware House
    The Delaware House, a Hegewisch institution located at 130th Street and Wolf Lake, was originaly used as a state building for Delaware at the 1893 Columbian Exposition (World's Fair) in Jackson Park. It was purchased by a French-Canadian fur trapper and adventurer, Elias Bennet, who relocated the house from the Columbian Exposition by putting it on a barge and towing it down Lake Michigan into Wolf Lake. He set it on the best piece of land he saw, even though he didn't own it. Since then it has been operated as a tavern, eating house, and living quarters. Muskrat dinners were served to notables such as John G. Shedd, Honore Palmer, and Anton J. Cermak. Due to poor maintenance the Delaware House caved in and was eventually torn down in the 1950GÇÖs.

  34. Hegewisch - Greetings from Hegewisch, IL
    c1900. Photo from postcard. Includes various scenes from Hegewisch including streetscapes, houses, churches, and Henry Clay School.

  35. Hegewisch - Looking Northwest
    Streetscape view of Hegewisch looks northwest from Braniard Avenue and Brandon Avenue.

  36. Hegewisch - Looking South on Erie Ave. cor 133rd Street
    Photo from postcard. Streetscape looking south toward intersection of 133rd and Erie Avenue (former name of Baltimore Avenue). Opera House is visible on the left beyond intersection. This was the major shopping district in the community of Hegewisch.

  37. Hegewisch - Ontario St. No. of 135th Street
    Streetscape of Ontario Street (former name of Brandon Avenue). View looks north toward horsedrawn wagon and people in the street. Small businesses, including tavern with "Manhattan Beer" sign and residences are in view.

  38. Hegewisch - Train Station
    c1920. Exterior view of Pennsylvania RR station located at 133rd and Green Bay Avenue. Photo shows group of people, mostly children, standing outside of the station.

  39. Hegewisch - Wolf Lake State Park Dedication 1946
    Illinois Governor Dwight Green unveiled this marker to dedicate Wolf Lake Conservation Park on October 13, 1946.

  40. Hegewisch Opera House
    Photo from postcard. Exterior view of Hegewisch Opera House, 13305 Erie Avenue (now Baltimore Avenue). Theater space was located on the 2nd floor. Opera House Buffet (restaurant), 13301 Erie and Chicago Post Office were on the first floor of the building. Wooden hitching rail is visible in front of the building. Plaque at the top of the structure reads "1888".

  41. Industry - Aerial Photo of Steel Mills on the Calumet River
    Aerial photograph looking ESE from over South Deering toward steel mills on the Calumet River between 106th and 116th Streets. South Deering neighborhood and Bright School are in the foreground. Wisconsin Steel is located across the middle of the photo on the west side of the river. On the east side is Acme/Interlake Furnace Plant at left and Republic Steel at the top right.

  42. Industry - Albert Schwill and Company
    Exterior view of Albert Schwill and Company. View northwest toward Calumet River, Gallistel School, Keystone grain elevator, Calumet River, Wisconsin Steel in background.

  43. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire Factory
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from area mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view looks northeast across the intersection of 103rd and Torrence Avenue. Photo is from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943".

  44. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire Storage Yard
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from area mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view shows the storage yard for the plant. Photo from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943"

  45. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire, 16" Wet Wire Drawing Department
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view shows the 16" Wet Wire Drawing Department. Photo from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943."

  46. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire, 8" Continuous Wire Drawing Department
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from area mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view shows the 8" Continuous Wire Drawing Department photo from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943."

  47. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire, Bookbinders' Rolling and Spooling Department
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from area mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view shows the Bookbinders' Rolling and Spooling Department photo from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943."

  48. Industry - Chicago Steel and Wire, Wire Rod Drawing Department
    Chicago Steel and Wire was a finishing plant which used steel from area mills to make wire and welding rods. It was located on the 102nd block of Torrence Avenue on the east side of the street. This view shows the Wire Rod Drawing Department. Photo from book titled "Chicago Steel and Wire Company 1914-1943."

  49. Industry - Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company Divers
    Bill Lehndorf and Grandpa Blank at the Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company dock "suiting up" in diving outfit.

  50. Industry - Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company Divers
    Bill Lehndorf and Grandpa Blank at the Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company dock "suited up" in diving outfit.

  Records 1 to 51 of 290   | Next records -->