HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Plainfield Public Library District

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 284   | Next records -->

  1. A T Corbins in 1901 (McKinley Assassination)
    This picture shows the window decorated in mourning for the death of Wm. McKinley, who was shot in 1901 and was the show window of A.T. Corbin's Store, now A.C. Steiner's (1934). A.C. Steiner was employed as clerk by Corbin and was the decorator. This store was built in 1870 and was first occupied by Corbin and Chittenden, later by A.T. Corbin, and now A.C. Steiner, making 64 years under three firm names.

  2. Abraham Francis
    This is a picture of Abraham Francis. Mr. Francis was one of the early setllers of New Lenox, having come to the state in 1831. He came from Brown Co. OH. He located on 160 acres of government land and also floated 160 acres in Section 9 where his son A.A. Francis lived afterward. Mr. Francis was a lieutenant under Captain Sisson in the Black Hawk War [and] also served as Deputy Sheriff in the early day. Abraham Francis was born in Cavan Co. Ireland Sept. 29, 1808. Although born in Ireland, he was of Scottish ancestry. he married Miss Mary Davison just before moving to IL, and to this union was born 11 children. Mr. Francis died Jan. 28, 1862 at the old homestead, and his wife died Jan. 15, 1884. Many of their descendants are still (1934) living in and about New Lenox.

  3. Abraham Lincoln
    Abraham Lincoln, the emancipator and conservor of our union and Constitution. His history is in the minds of every American citizen and he is known and honored by every nation of the earth. When Mr. Lincoln called for volunteers, the State of Illinois rushed to the colors and furnished more men than any state in the US. The Plainfield Light Artillery, under Capt. Ed. H. McAllister, was organized in 1856. In 1861, they went to Cairo and took part in many of the battles. Illinois was the key state in this Civil War.

  4. Abraham Lincoln House
    This is a picture of the cabin built by Thomas Lincoln and his son Abraham in Coles County IL in 1831. Abraham Lincoln was born Feb. 12, 1809 in Harding Co. KY. His parents were of the early pioneer stock, and the cabin in which he was born had a dirt floor and was but a grade better than the ordinary Indian lodge. His first school was nearly five miles away, and his studies were the three Rs. He owned but five books at the age of 21. It was from these lowly beginnings that he rose to the highest honor that could be attained by any man. He died at Washington from as assassin's bullet in 1865.

  5. Al Worst Barber Shop
    Al Worst's Barber Shop on the south side of Lockport St. and on the same lot on which Floyd Worst now has his shop (1934). This building was burned at the same time when the Livery Barn and Sonntag's Harness Shop burned. The men in the picture are from left to right: Geo. Baron, Ed Gage, Al Worst, Ed Arter. This building was at one time the office of Dr. Spencer, also Grant Williams had a barber shop here.

  6. Al Worst Barber Shop 1899
    This was Al Worst's Barber Shop after the Fire of 1899. The men in the picture are: Al Worst, John Laydon, Jonathan Hartong, James Beggs and his dog Tippie. Boys are not known. This shop was in the rear end of the old building on the SE corner of Lockport and [Des Plaines] St. There were four barber shops in Plainfield at one time and were operated by Al Worst, Grant Williams, Frank Snure, and M.V. Hartong. The prices were 10 cents or 12 shaves for a $1.00; 25 cents for a haircut.

  7. Alexander Robinson
    This is a picture of Alexander Robinson, also known as "Chicago" Robinson. His Indian name was "che-che-pin-qua" which meant "blinking eyes." He was chief of the united Pottawattamies, Chippawas, and Ottawas. There was some dispute as to his age and parentage. In 1866, a Mr. Draper interviewed him and he said he was born at Mackinaw in 1789, and that his father was a Scotch trader and his mother an Ottawa woman. We first find him in Chicago in 1809 where he bought 100 bushels of corn to ship into MI. At what date Robinson came to Chicago to live is not known. Previous to 1825, he had a trading post at Hardscrabble. On June 8, 1830 he was a licensed tavern keeper, and later he had a store or trading house at Wolfs Point. He served as Indian interpreter at various times. He had been married twice and had a family of 14 children. His wife died Aug. 7, 1860, and he died Apr. 22, 1872. They were both buried near their home on the Des Plaines River.

  8. Alonzo Huntington
    A photo of Alonzo Huntington, who was born Sept. 1, 1805 in Shaftsburg, VT. In 1833, he married Patience L. Dyer of Rutland Co. VA. He first worked as a mason, but later took to the study of law. He came to Chicago in the fall of 1835. He was chosen States Attorney of the 7th Circuit in 1837. He was a good attorney and showed great talent. He died in his home in Chicago Nov. 17, 1881.

  9. Anson Keene Playing Croquet
    This picture shows the old Croquet Grounds in Plainfield, IL. This ground was laid out in the [18]70s by some of the old boys of the village. The names of some of them are: Dan Robinson, Norman Pratt, Wright, Joe Davis, Cadd, Anson Keene, Alec Brown. This ground has been in almost constant use for 60 years. The Plainfield Croquet Association now has two grounds with concrete borders and are considered the best-kept grounds in the state (1934). The old stone roller was brought from Joliet by Geo. Daily and was part of the column of the court house, and the iron work on the roller was done by Keene and Hoffer. This picture shows the old veteran, Anson Keene, showing some of the boys how to make a few arches.

  10. Archibald Caldwell
    A photograph of Archibald Caldwell, one of Chicago's first tavern keepers. He was born April 30, 1806 at Pearisburgh, WV. He came by way of Fort Wayne to Chicago, arriving in July of 1827. He made the journey on horseback. In 1829, Caldwell and James Kinzie built the log tavern at Wolf's Point. In 1830, he sold his interest in the tavern to Kinzie and went to Green Bay, WI.

  11. Archibald Clybourn
    This is a picture of Archibald Clybourn, born August 28, 1802 at Giles Co. VA. In August 1824, Jonas Clybourn and 2 sons Archibald and Hanley and also their half-brother John K. Clark, came to Chicago to make it their permanent home. Archibald was married to Mary Galloway at Grand Rapids, now Marseilles, on the Illinois River. This wedding was on June 10, 1829. The Clybourn family settled on the north branch of the Chicago River. Here they built two log cabins as their first homes. Archibald Clybourn was the first Constable at Chicago, and was appointed Sept. 26, 1825 by the Peoria County Court as Constable of the 1st Precinct of Peoria Co. IL

  12. Armstead Runyon
    A picture of Armstead Runyon who was born in KY, and with his parents moved to OH when he was 15 years old. He lived in OH until 1827 when he moved to Danville, IL. In 1830, he moved to Lockport, IL. That was the winter of the deep snow, and the hogs that he had brought with him all starved as food of all kinds was impossible to get. Some of the old settlers of 1830 and 31 were Edward Poor, Butler, Lyman Hawley, Cyrus Brown, Holden Sisson, Hutchinson, Farley, Gooding, Taylor, Norton, Bush, and others. Runyontown was just north of the present city of Lockport. The first lock on the Illinois and Michigan Canal, and also the first lock on the drainage canal, is located there; hence the name Lockport.

  13. Bachelor Club 1890s
    This was back in the "gay 90s" when girls wore shirtwaists and skirts and women in general wore real clothing. This group was known as the Bachelor Club of Plainfield. Their names are, from left to right: Alyce Cole, Lillian Kerstin, Maud Weese, Daisy Pilcher, Mrs. Chet [Sarah] Whipple, Irene Mottinger, Sadie Davis, Miss [Florence] Burnett, Lou Johnson, Grace Mottinger, Maud Mottinger, Lucy Hoffer

  14. Baptist Church
    This church was built in 1857 by the Baptist Association and was the second building on this lot. This building was remodeled in 1914, but burned before it was completed. The present building was erected the following year and now (1934) has a good membership.Note the old style of structure. The bell was bought near Chicago in '18 and was one of the best sounding bells in the village. The Baptist Church was organized om 1834 with five members and the first pastor was J. E. Ambrose. The first church was built in 1836, later, in 1857, it was moved west of the town house and used as a blacksmith shop by Keene and Hoffer.

  15. Baseball Team 1916
    These boys played ball in 1916 and they are not as young as they used to be. They are, left to right standing: Chas. Countryman, John Morgan, Chas. Evans, James Shipley. Sitting: John Gates, Geo. Pollard, Al Worst - mgr. Harold Smiley. On ground: Sam Weinholt, Herman Worst, Antone Rausch, Brown

  16. Big Eagle
    This is a picture of Big Eagle, a Sioux Chieftain. In 1862, the Sioux Indians in IA and MN fell upon the settlers and massacred some 1200 persons. Military authorities at once took action and killed and captured a large number of them. 30 Indians were hung at Mankato, MN. Big Eagle was sent to prison at Davenport, IA. He was released in 1864 by the War Dept. and by order of Abraham Lincoln.

  17. Billy Caldwell House
    A sketch of the home of Billy Caldwell, whose Indian name was Sauganash. In 1828, the Indian Dept. built this house for Caldwell in consideration of services rendered. It was no doubt the first frame house in Northern IL. The framing timbers were furnished from the well-timbered land that lay north of the Chicago River, and the brick for the chimney, the siding, sashes, nails, and finishing lumber were brought from Cleveland, OH. In the Treaty of July 29, 1829, at Prairie de Chien, Caldwell was granted 2 1/2 sections of land on the Chicago River above the Line of Purchase of 1816. Billy Caldwell married an Indian woman, daughter of Pottawattamie Chief Yellow Head. Caldwell was born in Canada about the year 1780. His father was an Irish officer in the British service and his mother a Pottawattamie Indian. He died at Council Bluffs, IA, Sept. 28, 1841. He served as Secretary to Tecumseh from 1807 to 1813. In 1816 he was Captain of the British Indian Department and in 1826 was a Justice of the Peace at Chicago in Peoria County.

  18. Black Hawk
    This is a picture of Black Hawk the Sauk Chieftain. He was born near the junction of the Rock River and the Mississippi in the year 1767. Early in life, he was recognized as a brave chieftain. His first warring party was against their old enemy, the Osage Indians. His father was slain near St. Louis in the wars with the Cherokees, and he was at once announced Chief of the Sauk Nation. By 1800, he had conquered the Cherokee and Osage Nations. Black Hawk never fully agreed with the Treaty at St. Louis which was made in 1804. Also through English treachery, he allied with them in the War of 1812. After the Sauk and Fox Indians were forced to cross the Mississippi into Iowa in 1831, he and members of the Sauk and Fox Tribes, with their women and children, recrossed the river in an effort to regain the homes of their fathers, peaceably if possible; if not, to die in the attempt.

  19. Brass Trio
    Studio portrait of a local brass band trio

  20. Buckner S. Morris
    This is a photograph of Buckner S. Morris. He was born Aug. 19, 1800 at Augusta, KY. [He] married Eviline Baker of Madison, KY in 1832. In 1830, he was elected to the Legislature. In 1834, he came to Chicago on horseback, and he said there were less than 40 houses here on his arrival. He formed a partnership with E.W. Casey but soon dissolved it, as he also did with another partner. He was elected Mayor in the spring of 1838. In 1840, he [and] Lincoln were nominated presidential electors on the Whig ticket. In 1844, he was president of the Chicago Hydraulic Co. He was associated with many of Chicago's attorneys. He died on December 16, 1879, at his home in Chicago.

  21. Buffalo Skinning
    This is a picture of a prairie scene of an early day showing how the Indian squaws skinned and cut up the buffalo after their chieftains made the kill. The hides were made into robes and clothing, and the flesh cured for future use. Other parts were made into sinew threads for sewing shoes and garments.

  22. Businessmen vs Professionalmen 1896
    In 1896 the business men challenged the professional men to a baseball game. The players were: Business men; Ray Spangler, Ed Whitley, John Overman, Almon Mottinger, G.H. Williams, J.I. Evarts, Richard Capps, M.V. Hartong and A.J. McCreery. Professionals are; I (sic) R. Rhodes, Rev. C. Robinson, J.P. Browne, H.H. Newton, Rev. Strong, George Arbiter (sic), U.S.G. Blakely, A.J. Vinson, Dr. E.C. Hoffman, J.C. Owens, Frank Gascoin. Al Worst is holding the large sign in the center. Thomas Hayse is holding the small sign on the right and William Cain is taking Dr. Perkins place as chief sergon (sic).

  23. Cantelever Bridge - Ship and Sanitary Canal Construction
    [M.V. Hartong has no notes with this slide. His hand-written ledger begins to relate a short history of the I&M Canal, which he then crosses out] This is another of Almon Mottinger's pictures of the construction of the Ship and Sanitary Canal, most likely taken in the Lockport area.

  24. Cantelever Bridge Ship and Sanitary Canal Construction
    This is one of the cantelevers that was used in making the drainage canal through the rock cut that started near Chicago and ended at the controlling works at Lockport. The sides of the channel were cut by steam drills. The center was broke loose with dynamite and loaded in large buckets which were carried to the west bank of the channel and there dumped. This will show those unfamiliar with the work how such a large bank of rock was all piled to one side of the channel. While this channel was being built, charges of dynamite were set off at all hours of the day or night and could be heard over ten miles. The drainage canal is 32 miles long and from 162 to 290 feet wide and 22 feet deep. This project was started in 1889. First ground broke Sept. 3, 1892, and on Jan. 2, 1900, the first water was turned into the channel and again the water of Lake Michigan flowed to the Gulf of Mexico. Thousands of years ago, the Calumet-Sag and the Des Plaines Valley were the natural outlet for Lake Michigan.

  25. Captain Ed H McAllister
    This is a picture of Captain Ed H. McAllister who was born December 24, 1828. He was educated in Washington Academy at Salem, NY, and he came to Plainfield in 1852. He bought 160 acres of prairie land without any improvements. He was a Republican and held the Office of Supervisor in 1885. On June 4, 1860, he married Fannie Beebe, and to this union 4 children were born. The only son, Clyde McAllister, now owns and operates the home place (1934). In 1856, the Captain organized a militia known as the Plainfield Artillery, and when the Civil War broke out, he was among the first to enlist. On April 19, 1861, we enlisted and was elected Capt. of Artillery. McAllister's Battery first went to Cairo, then to Fort Holt and Fort Henry, KY. This Battery took part in the Battle of Shiloh, Stanford, and many others. For a full war record, read Woodruff's history, "Fifteen Years Ago."

  26. Captain Jack the Modoc Chieftain
    A picture of Captain Jack the Modoc Chieftain. He was located in the Oregon and California country where he allied himself with some of the desperate characters of that region. On April 11, 1873, Captain Jack, Black Jim, Nasty Jim, Ellens Man, and Hooker Jim had a council with Gen. E.R.S. Canby, Rev. Dr. E. Thomas (a Methodist minister), and a number of others. The appointment had been made by one of their band named Bogus Charley, but scarcely had the council begun when they massacred almost the whole party.

  27. Central Hotel
    This picture shows the south part of the hotel known as the Beggs House. This building first stood on the SW corner of Commercial and Division Sts. where A.C. Steiner has his home (1934). It was used as a general store by Corbin and Chittenden until 1870 when their new store on the corner of Lockport and Illinois Sts. was built. Mr. Beggs bought it and moved it to this location and it is a part of the Beggs' fireproof hotel. This building has been on fire a number of times but by some mistake it was always put out.

  28. Central Hotel 1868
    Another of the oldest pictures of early Plainfield taken in 1868-1869 looking S.E. and shows the old Kent building, the Central Hotel and the spire of the new M.E. church, which was dedicated in 1868. There was a Barber shop on the second floor of the corner building and I think Mrs. John Funk's Millinery and Dress Making shop below. I am told that these buildings were built in the 40s by Root Kent. 1.Unidentified 2. James Beggs 3. Unidentified 4. Ed Gilbert 5. Unidentified 6.Unidentified- Collins (seated on hitch rail) Note the old poplar tree in front. This tree has been cut down and two soft maples have grown to large trees and have also been cut down for some years.This picture was taken nearly 70 years ago. (written in 1934)

  29. Chicago Hydraulic Company
    A picture of Chicago's first water works. On Jan. 18, 1836, the Chicago Hydraulic Co. was made possible by the State Legislature and on March 19 an organization was formed with Geo. W. Dole, President; G.S. Hubbard, D. Hunter, G. Kercheval, and W. Forsythe, Directors. E.W. Casey was Secretary and J.H. Campbell, R.A. Kinzie, and S. Wells were members. The limited capital stock was $250,000, but owing to the Panic of 1837, the actual work did not begin until 1840. The first water was pumped into the reservoir in May 1842. The water pipes were made of wood, and many were dug up at a much later date. The plant stood on the corner of Lake St. and Michigan Ave. which was later the site of the old Adams House. A large steam engine was installed here and the power was also used for other purposes.

  30. Chicago River 1779
    This is a picture of what is now known as the Chicago River. The small cabin that is seen to the right was that of Point Du Sable. This picture was supposed to have been taken in 1779. One historian says this was the only cabin except that of Guarie on the North Branch of the river. This trading post was supposed to have been kept by 2 brothers. The North Branch was known as Guarie River, and the South Branch as Portage River. The Guarie trading post was on the west bank of the river, and Mr. Hubbard said that the corn hills were plainly visible as late as 1818 when he first arrived in Chicago.

  31. Chief Shabbona
    This is a picture of Shabbona, an Ottawa chief. He was born in about 1775 in an Indian village on the Kankakee River in Will County and died at Morris July 27, 1859. He was known as the white man's friend. He, with Billy Caldwell, used their influence in keeping Chief Big Foot, who had a village at Lake Geneva, from joining the Winnebagos in the War of 1827. Shabbona married the daughter of a Pottawattamie Chief. This chief soon died, and Shabbona became Chief of the tribe. His village was at Shabbona Grove in DeKalb Co. Shabbona had an exceptionally good record as a chieftain and citizen of the US. This picture was taken at Oswego, IL in the later days of his life.

  32. Clark and Company Cheese Factory
    This is a sketch of the old cheese factory that was built by Clark & Co. in 1877 or 78. It was operated by Edward Clark, who organized the company among the farmers. The first story and engine room were built of stone, and the second story was of lumber. Frank Wattle operated this factory at a later date and handled as high as 20,000 pounds of milk per day. He made about 60 fifty-pound cheeses per week. Most of this cheese went to the Chicago market. It was hauled to Joliet by team and wagon each week, and from there is was shipped to Chicago by railroad. James McAdams was the last to operate it as a creamery. It was abandoned about 1906. M.O. Mottinger bought the building and some time later it was torn down. This factory stood a little NW of the Walter Gray home, and just E of the Old Red Mill. Traces of the old foundation are still visible (1934).

  33. Clark St Chicago 1857
    A view of Clark St. in 1857 which shows the old and new street levels. Prior to this, the streets were a mass of mud. In 1855, a new street level was established and in 1857, another new grade was set that would require the raising of the streets and sidewalks from six to eight feet. Many were dissatisfied and said it could not be done, but in a few years the fills were made and the buildings were raised to the new grade. This act raised Chicago out of the mud. We can hardly realize at this time the importance of this new grade level.

  34. Clippinger Building 1887
    A sketch of the first brick building on the south side of Lockport St. It was built by I.A. Clippinger in 1887. To the left is the old brown store building at one time used by I.A. Clippinger as his drug store; later is was used as a barber shop operated by a negro whose name was David Dishman. He lived upstairs, and this is the only negro family that ever lived in Plainfield. At the time it burned, it was occupied by Willet and Beebe as a general store. To the right you see a portion of Daniel Zimmerman's shoe shop. The left side of the double store was Glispie's Restaurant and Bakery. This was the first bakery for Plainfield. In the right side was located Plainfield's first bank. It was started by Jeremiah Evarts in 1888. Evarts was a resident of Yorkville, IL. The E.J.& E. had their offices on the second floor while the road was being built. There was also a dance hall and lodge room for the I.O.G.T. over part of the second floor. The building was known as the Clippinger Block and was burned in the spring of 1888. The Marsh and Wood and Druley Bros. Elevators were also built in 1887.

  35. Clybourne House
    This is a picture of the Clybourn House. The main part was built in 1836. The bricks were made near the site by Francis C. Sherman who in later life built the Sherman House. [He] also was many times elected Mayor of Chicago. The house as shown had 20 rooms and was known as the Clybourn Mansion. This house was built before there was any survey for streets, and when it was platted, the house stood in the middle of a lot with the west side facing Elston Ave. and the front with its columned porch was facing another lot. This mansion stood on the north branch of the Chicago River.

  36. Colonel J.B. Beaubien
    This is a photo of Col. J.B. Beaubien who was born at Detroit between the years 1778 or 1780 and was the father of Madore Beaubien. At just what date the Colonel came to Chicago is not known, but being of an adventuresome nature he started in the fur trade at an early age. We find him at Milwaukee as early as 1800. His first wife and mother of Madore was an Indian woman. It is known that he was at Chicago in 1812, and his house was known as "the Wigwam", and stood near the lake in the vicinity of Harrison St. His second wife was a daughter of Francis Laframboise, and at a later date he was interested in the old trading post known as Hardscrabble. He was at one time an employee of the American Fur Co. While he had just claims on land on the lakefront, his claim was never allowed. He was very prominent in the early history of Chicago.

  37. Colonel William Whistler
    This is a portrait of Col. Wm. Whistler, son of Capt. John Whistler, who came to Chicago in 1803 and built the first Fort Dearborn. He had been an officer in the Revolutionary War, but very little is known of his early life. Capt. John Whistler died at Bellefontaine, MO on Sept. 3, 1829. Wm. Whistler was born in Hagerstown, MD about 1784 and was a 2nd Lt. in his father's comapny, then stationed at Detroit. He came to Chicago overland and assisted [the elder] Whistler in the construction of the first Fort Dearborn. Capt. John Whistler and Mrs. Wm. Whistler, with her infant son, came from Detroit to St. Joseph, MI on the schooner Tracy Dorr and by row boat to Chicago. The Tracy Dorr continued on to Chicago and anchored 1/2 mile from shore and unloaded its men and supplies by row boat. Chicago had no harbor at that time.

  38. Combination Atlas Map of Will County Illinois 1873
    Will County Atlas with Maps for the 23 townships are reproduced in watercolor. Each map contains property owners, cemeteries and churches for each township as well as natural landmarks. This book also includes exquisitely detailed etchings of dozens of significant farms, churches and businesses in Will County. Lists of tax payers along with brief histories of each township are also included.

  39. Community House
    This is a sketch of the first school building in Plainfield. It was built around 1833 and stood at 401 Division St. It was a log cabin about 14 feet square containing one door and two windows. A fireplace was built at one end. The building was used for school five days a week, two evenings for singing school and spelling bees, and both the Methodists and Congregationalists used it for church services.

  40. Cook County Courthouse 1858
    This is a picture of the second [Cook County] Courthouse as it was when it was completed in 1858. The cornerstone was laid September 12, 1851, and the first three stories were completed and occupied in 1853. The expense was $111,000. The fourth story was added in 1857-58. The building was used for city and county business and was destroyed by the Fire of 1871.

  41. Cook County Courthouse 1884
    A photograph of the Cook County courthouse in 1884. At that time, it had cost the county $2,320,000 and was considered a rather expensive place to use for county business. This courthouse was replaced by the present (1934) building which was built in 1891.

  42. Cook County Courthouse after Fire of 1871
    A picture of the [Cook County] Courthouse built after the Fire of 1871. The ground for this building was broken on August 26, 1875 and not until July 4, 1877 was the cornerstone laid. Work moved slowly owing to financial difficulties. The estimated cost was $1,878,000.It was not completed until the fall of 1881 and at a cost of $2,320,000 which was much more than estimated in 1884. The county courthouse and city hall were finally finished and had this appearance.

  43. Daniel P. Cook
    This is a photograph of Daniel P. Cook. He was born in Scott Co. KY in 1794. He had a common school education and a short experience in merchandising. He entered the law office of John Pope in 1815. He moved to Kaskaskia, then the seat of government for IL. On May 6, 1821, he married Julia C. Edwards, oldest daughter of Ninian Edwards, Governor of IL. He died Oct. 16, 1827 at the age of 33. No doubt no man in the history of the NW did so many things for his community as did D.P. Cook in so short a life. Cook County, when set apart from Peoria Co. was named in honor of this great legislator.

  44. Darr and Cain Hardware and Grocery Store
    A picture of Darr and Cain's Hardware and Grocery Store, which was in the same building now occupied by Harry Bayles (1934) and is on the north side of Lockport St. and on the same lot where the second M.E. Church stood. The men in the photo are from left to right: Chas. Geist, John Overman, James Smiley, Wm. Cain, Ben Whitley, David Darr and Margaret Erwin on the tricycle. Other children not known.

  45. Darr and Spangler Hardware and Grocery 1893
    This was the Darr and Spangler Hardware and Grocery Store and is now the store operated by Harry Bayles (1934). How many people of today remember the old white delivery horse? Those that are known in the picture are: unknown, unknown, John Van Horn, James Smiley, Adam Spangler, David Darr, Jonas Bronk, Nate Waltz, Fred Burgstahler. This store was once operated by Wertzbaugher and Shumeman.

  46. David Hall
    This is a picture of David Hall, who came from VA at an early date. Mrs. Clybourn states that David Hall and James Kinzie kept store at the Points as early as 1826, and the records show that he was there as late as 1834, and that Dr. Enoch Chase, now of Milwaukee, was their clerk. Mr. Hall and James Kinzie were half-brothers.

  47. DeMeritt Livery Stable 1895
    A picture of the livery barn on the south side of Lockport St. now Lincoln Way, in Plainfield and was taken in about 1895. It stood on the lot where Ording's Bakery now stands (1934). It was run under the management of a number of different people; namely: Lou Mottinger, Speicher and Dew, Scott and Wraith, and at the time of this picture W.A. DeMerritt. Standing in front and from left to right are: Henry Hartwig, Wm. DeMerritt, Winwright Willis, Joe Countryman, Jim Buntz, Frank Rausch, Ebenezer Zimmerman, Collie Countryman, Art Keene, Bob Laydon, Ed Gage, Al Worst, Bert Stopp.

  48. Dennison Green Blacksmith Shop
    A sketch of the old stone blacksmith shop on Main St. It was built some time in the (18)50s by Dennison Green who used it as his shop for some years, but later Sam Glispie did some smithing work here. The house to the right was built by Dennison Green, and is now occupied by Mr. Cucci (1934). This building was torn down to make room for the Druley Grain Co. offices which were then on the S side of Main St. Homer George tore this building down shortly after 1885, and still has a good pile of stone on his farm.

  49. Des Plaines Street Livery Barn
    A very good picture of the old livery stable on Des Plaines St. and now (1934) is a part of the Glasgow Bros. Garage. This was built in an early day and has been operated by such men as John Funk, P.W. Spangler, George Horton, and others. Good single- and double-rig service, sleighing parties, and drayage was available at all times. Note the well-matched team of white horses. Those in the picture are: Pedro Alcomback, Fack McDonald, Eugene Barron.

  50. Dick Snyder Blacksmith Shop
    This is a sketch of the old Dick Snyder Blacksmith Shop. (It) stood at the turn of the road on the way to Joliet. It was NE of the old Dillman Foundry which was later known as the Webb Wagon Shop. There were a number of these old blacksmith shops in Plainfield. The first was started by John Shutliff in 1833 and was later bought and operated by Wm. Keen. The shop stood near the Bill's Wagon Shop, on or near Main St. Another was on the S side of Commercial St. and just E of the late George Stopp's home. It was operated by Jacob and Philipp Hoffer. Another was on the W side of the Public Square and on the lot where the old Wm. Keen home now stands. There was one on the N and one on the S sides of Lockport St. - now Lincoln Way - and just W of the Village property. The shop on the N was moved there and was the first Baptist Church building. Geo. Fry's wagon shop was E of this shop. The one on the S side was the first Congregational Church building, and the wagon shop to the E was that of Robert Wraith. There was also a blacksmith shop and wagon shop S of the Opera House where the bakery now is (1934). Shops similar to this were found in every village and hamlet in IL.

  Records 1 to 51 of 284   | Next records -->