Materials in this collection are made available by the Peoria Public Library. To request reproductions or inquire about permissions, contact Peoria Public Library. Please cite the item title and collection name.
Peoria Public Library Link -->Collections from this institution:
1. John C. Proctor Recreation Center Bldg., Peoria, Ill. 309 S. DuSable Street. Constructed in 1913.
13503 McKinley Bridge, Peoria, Ill. A Bascule bridge built in 1907 over the Illinois River on Illinois Terminal Railroad. It was closed to traffic in 1951.
13505 Squirrel House, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. Built in 1905 and originally named The Squirrel House, it is commonly known as The Monkey House. It is located across from the Pavilion.
13506 Grape Vine Walk, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. Grape Vine walking path in Glen Oak Park.
13508 Elk, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. The elk family in Glen Oak Park was an attraction before 1910.
13509 Fountain, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. One of the fountains in Glen Oak Park
13510 Lower Picnic Ground, Bradley Park, Peoria, Ill. A favorite spot for picnics in Laura Bradley Park.
13512 Band Stand, Bradley Park, Peoria, Ill. Built in Laura Bradley Park in 1904, it is no longer standing.
13513 Elk Family, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. The elk family in Glen Oak Park was an attraction before 1910.
13514 Lake, South Park, Peoria, Ill. This park is located at the corner of West Montana St & South Idaho St. It was founded in1894 and had a small lake. In 1907 the lake was converted to a concrete basin. In 1937 the park was renamed Trewyn Park.
1693 St. Francis Hospital, Peoria, Ill. Originally established in 1876 by a group of Franciscan Sisters, St Francis Hospital was located at 530 NE Glen Oak Avenue. St Francis Healthcare now covers the area of 530-616 North Glen Oak Ave.
The red brick wing to the left was added in 1890. The third addition (white building) was built in 1901. None of these buildings remain as part of OSF today.
2. John C. Proctor Recreation Center Bldg.Peoria, Ill. 309 S. DuSable Street. Constructed in 1913.
2682 Cottage Hospital, Peoria, Ill. (Handwritten on card: Second and Fisher St.) In 1883 the Peoria Hospital Association acquired this residence at the corner of Second & Fisher. Two additions were added in 1902 bringing it to 110 beds. The principal benefactor John C. Proctor died in 1907 so the name was changed to Proctor Hospital. In 1959 the hospital moved to its present location on Knoxville Ave.
2684 Proctor Endowment Home, Peoria, Ill. This facility located at 1301 NW Glendale Ave, began use in 1906, as a life-care retirement center. It was founded by Peoria philanthropist John C. Proctor. In 1976 they moved to a new facility on Reservoir St. This building is still in use as the St Augustine Home an Independent living retirement community.
2685 Draw of McKinley Bridge, Peoria, Ill. A Bascule bridge built in 1907 over the Illinois River on Illinois Terminal Railroad. The electric railway constructed by the Illinois Traction System was completed in 1907. It became part of the longest electric railway system in the U.S. The bridge was closed in 1951.
323 Randolph Ave. Peoria, Ill. Manufactured by Curt Teich & Co., Chicago, Ill. A view of Randolph Street in the early 20th century.
4668 Bird's-Eye View of Peoria, Ill. View looking NE on Adams Street toward downtown Peoria and the Illinois River. The County courthouse is on the left at 101 NE Adams Street, built in 1876. On the next corner north is the Hotel Mayer at 200 Hamilton. The large brick building to the far left is the Old National Hotel at 202 Jefferson, which burned in 1911. The red brick building on front left is the Central National Bank at 301 NE Main St.
4669 Shopping District, Peoria, Ill. John F. Schipper and Henry C. Block founded Schipper & Block around 1879. It was located at 122-126 South Adams St. near Fulton St. Name was changed to Block & Kuhl in 1914. Currently this location is the Chase Bank building. The large red brick building on the right is Bergner's.
4670 Stock Yards and Distilling District, Peoria, Ill. This is a picture of the stockyards and distilling districts about 1914. This included four major packing houses: Wilson's, Gdel & Sons, C.F. Hill and McElwee.
4680 Central Christian Church, Peoria, Ill. This is the third location of First Christian Church, also known as Christian Chapel and Central Christian Church. It is located at 205-207 North Monroe on the corner with Fulton St. This building was built in 1894 and burned in 1913.
4681 Baptist Church, Peoria, Ill This view is of the First Baptist Church at 1000 Hamilton Blvd., which was built in 1892. It was at the corner of Hamilton & Glen Oak St. This building was razed in 1959 after the congregation relocated to Lake Street in 1957.
4683 G. A. R. Memorial Hall, Peoria. Ill The Grand Army of the Republic's hall was completed in 1909 due to the generous contributions of Joseph P. Greenhut. It is located at 416 Hamilton and was named Greenhut Memorial. It is cared for by the Central Illinois Landmark Foundation.
4690 Horological Building, Bradley Polytechnical Institute, Peoria, Ill. Founded in 1896 by Lydia Moss Bradley. Ground was broken in 1897 on 17.5 acres. Horology Hall (later renamed Westlake) was one of the two original buildings still in use. Bradley Polytechnical Institute was renamed Bradley University in 1946.
4703 Union Depot, Peoria, Ill. In 1882, Union Station opened at the foot of State Street. It was a brick, two-story building, measuring 404 feet by 55 feet. The rail hub was the fourth largest in the U.S. In 1963, the building was destroyed by fire.
4706 Mayer Hotel, Peoria, Ill. This 5 story brick hotel was built by David Mayer in 1907 at 200 NE Adams St. at the corner with Hamilton St. It was sold to two Chicago owners in 1955. On February 14, 1963 it burned to the ground with four people dying as a result of the fire. It was demolished in April of 1963 and replaced by the Security Savings and Loan Association. The block is now owned by Caterpillar, Inc.
4708 Niagara Hotel, Peoria, Ill. This hotel was built in early 1890's and was located at 108-110 SW Jefferson Avenue. It began as a three-story building in 1875, then in 1893 four more stories were added by William F. Becker. The building was demolished in 1968.
4720 Scene in South Park, Peoria, Ill. This park is one of the four original parks in the Peoria Park District system in 1894. It was designed by W.W. Maloney, who also did much of the work turning it from a pasture to a park. The pavilion was build in 1913. It is located on Idaho St and Montana. In 1937 the park was renamed for William T. Trewyn, a physician who practiced on the south side of Peoria for 20 years.
4723 A Winter Night in Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. View across the lagoon in winter in Glen Oak Park.
4726 Bridge on Park Driveway, Peoria, Ill. View of a bridge on Grand View Drive with ca.1896 two seat motor car.
4728. Sulphur Spring, Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. Sulphur Spring Bridge and pond are located in Glen Oak Park. The bridge was constructed of brick and stone, built before 1898. The spring was from the Sulphur Creek. The flow stopped in 1932.
4731 Scene in Al Fresco Park, Peoria, Ill. This park was open between 1905-1929 from May-September of each year. It was located at 4602 North Galena Road in Peoria Heights off Galena Road. The St Louis World's Fair of 1904 contributed some statues, benches, lights and the Ferris Wheel which was 65' high.
745 Illinois River Valley from Grand View Drive, Peoira, Ill. View of the Illinois River Valley near Peoria.
[Allied Agencies Center] This is now a medical office building for doctors at OSF St Francis Medical Center.
"Home of Amberlin Beer," Peoria, Illinois Gipps Brewery, later called Terre Haute Brewing Co. was located at 101-103 Hancock (corner of Hancock & Water St). It was founded by John M. Gipps in 1881 and destroyed in the 1990's when the Bob Michael Bridge was built.
Academy of Our Lady, Peoria, Ill. This all girl Catholic High School was established in 1863 on the corner of Bryan & Madison at 412 NE Madison. It merged with Spalding Institute and Bergen High School to become Peoria Notre Dame in 1988. It was razed in 1957.
Al Fresco Park, Peoria, Ill. This park was open between 1905-1929 from May-September of each year. It was located at 4602 North Galena Road in Peoria Heights off Galena Road. The St Louis World's Fair of 1904 contributed some statues, benches, lights and the Ferris Wheel which was 65' high.
Along the River Front, Peoria, Ill. Dedicated on June 12, 1915, Levee Park was a steamboat landing. It was later renamed Eckwood Park in honor of Sherman Eckley and Edward N. Woodruff. The steamboat pictured is the Columbia. The Columbia sank Jul 5 ,1918 after a submerged tree in the Illinois River ripped through the hull during a return voyage from Kingston Mines. 87 people died in the tragedy.
Anshai Emeth Temple, Peoria, Ill. A Jewish congregation officially organized as a congregation in 1859. Name means ""People of Truth."" This is the second temple in Peoria, dedicated in 1898 and built of Lake Superior sandstone. It is located on the northwest corner of Monroe & Hancock. Currently occupied by the Christian Assembly Church.
Bird's Eye View of Peoria from High Street, Peoria, Ill. View SE from High Street toward downtown Peoria and the Illinois River
Block & Kuhl Co., Formerly Schipper & Block. The Greater Big White Store, Peoria, ILL. Corner of 124 South West Adams and Fulton. This building was formerly for Schipper and Block from 1905 to 1914. Block and Kuhl openned on March 17, 1914. Crrently this loction is for Chase Bank building.
Bradley Park from ""The Uplands"", Peoria, Ill. Laura Bradley Park in located at 1314 Park Road (Farmington Road and Main St). It was donated to the Peoria Park District in 1881 by Lydia Moss Bradley in memory of her daughter. The Pavilion was completed in 1905.
Bradley Polytechnic Institute. Peoria, Ill. Founded in 1896 by Lydia Moss Bradley. Ground was broken in 1897 on 17.5 acres and two halls were built: Horology Hall on the left (later renamed Westlake), and Bradley Hall on the right. Both buildings are currently in use. Bradley Polytechnic Institute was renamed Bradley University in 1946.
Bridge at Glen Oak Park, Peoria, Ill. Pub. by C. R. Gibson, Peoria, Ill. Sulphur Spring Bridge and pond located in Glen Oak Park. The bridge was constructed of brick and stone, which was built before 1898.
C. R. I. & P. Depot, Peoria, Ill. Chicago and Rock Island Depot . Water Street . Built in 1891, Freight house added in 1899. The clock tower was removed in 1939.
Central Christian Church, Peoria, Ill. View of 209 NE Madison. Later named First Christian Church. Razed in 1973.
Central National Bank Building. Peoria, Ill. 101 South Adams (corner of Main & Adams). Designed by the architectural firm of D.W. Burnham in 1913-14. In 1978 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Children's Play Ground, Bradley Park, Peoria, Ill. Work on Bradley Park was begun in 1897, but took many years to complete. Tennis court was added around 1909, which dates this post card to earlier than 1909.
China Store, Seventh Floor, Schipper & Block's, Peoria, Ill. John F. Schipper and Henry C. Block, founded Schipper & Block around 1879. It was located at 122-126 South Adams St. near Fulton St. Name was changed to Block & Kuhl in 1914. Currently this location is the Chase Bank building.
Christian Science Church, Peoria, Ill. Location of original First Church of Christ, Scientists. The current building in in the same location.
Coliseum, Peoria, Ill. Located at 515-531 NW Adams St. (Corner of Adams and Hancock St). It had a seating capacity of 7,000. It was erected in 1901 by the Peoria Railway Company and upon completion turned the title over to the city. It was burned in May 1920.