HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Huntley Area Dairy and Agricultural History

   
<-- Prev records |   Records 51 to 97 of 97  

  1. Marge Drendel, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Marge Drendel interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Marge Drendel was born in 1925.

  2. Marsh Farm 1962
    Ron and Lee Marsh with George Borhart on the last day Borhart picked up milk at the Marsh Farm. The dairy was sold in July of 1962. The Marsh Farm is located on Church Road west of Huntley.

  3. Marsh Farm Circa 1957
    Cows on the Marsh Farm on Church Road west of Huntley.

  4. Marsh Farm Spring 1957
    Cows on the first day of spring 1957 at the Marsh Farm located on Church Road west of Huntley.

  5. Marsh Farm Windmill
    Windmill next to the milk house on the Marsh Farm. The farm was located on Church Road west of Huntley. This windmill was donated to the Huntley Park District and relocated to Sun Valley Farm on Main Street circa 2010.

  6. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley
    Located on the west side of the railroad tracks at Main Street. At one time the company owned four different buildings along the railraod tracks. 1970's - 1990's.

  7. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley Customer Service Desk
    Francis Leo (Duke) Manning and Gordon Diedrick at the customer service desk.

  8. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley Posts Crop Prices Daily
    Francis Leo (Duke) Manning, right, and secretary. Crop prices were posted every day.

  9. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley Sales Reports
    Charles Olson, left, and Francis Leo (Duke) Manning, right, look over the sales reports in the Huntley office in 1973.

  10. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley Unloading Feed Bags
    Don Riedl, left, helps Francis Leo (Duke) Manning unload a train car of feed bags at the Huntley Farm Service building. The view is looking towards Church Street.

  11. McHenry Farm Service of Huntley Warehouse with Forklift
    Inside the warehouse. Francis Leo (Duke) Manning operates the forklift. At far right, Don Kohley. Center, John Belom.

  12. Milk Bottling at Dean's Milk
    Robert Schachtner checks bottling operation.

  13. Milk Cans 1929
    Milk cans stacked on a Huntley farm. People unknown.

  14. Milk Cans at Train Station 1907
    The numerous milk cans waiting at the train depot platform show just how much excess milk Huntley area farmers produced each day. Farmers brought their milk to town each morning to meet the 8 a.m. train. The large building in the background is the Cornell Brothers Milk Plant. This photo, taken in March of 1907, shows the Cornell building before it burned to the ground on May 7, 1907.

  15. Milk Contract Day
    A large gathering of farm wagons surround the village town square for Contract Day. Chicago milk dealers visited Huntley early each spring to meet with farmers and bargain for a year's supply of milk. Farmers and dealers met on Contract Day to sign agreements for future delivery of milk. Prices were set per hundred pounds of milk. The photo shows the south side of Main Street, with the Cook Building at the left and the Sawyer-Kelley Mill to the right.

  16. Milk Intake at Dean's Milk
    Ernest Stading Junior takes a sample of milk from tank truck being unloaded at Dean Foods.

  17. Milking Demonstration at Dean's Milk
    Milking demonstration.

  18. New Cornell Factory, circa 1908
    Cornell moved to this location after the 1907 fire. The photograph is facing northwest from the corner of Mill and Church streets. The factory produced evaporated and condensed milk.

  19. Patricia Hemmer, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Patricia Hemmer interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Patricia Hemmer was born January 15, 1946.

  20. Percy Swanson
    Percy Swanson on a Farmall tractor chopping corn for silage with an Ensilage Harvester.

  21. Percy Swanson, 1935
    Percy Swanson, corn picking time.

  22. Philip Manning 1, 1939
    Philip Manning demonstrates electrified shaving equipment on his newly electrified farm on Manning Road south of Huntley in Rutland Township. Electricity was brought out to the farm in 1939. This was helpful not only to the farmer, but to his wife as well. Farm wives could then have an electric stove and washing machine.

  23. Philip Manning, Electric Pump, 1939
    Philip Manning adjusting an electric pump in the milk house on his farm on Manning Road south of Huntley in Rutland Township. Electricity reached rural farms in 1939. Clean milk cans are shown in the background, right, with lids stored above.

  24. Philip Manning, Electric Shaving, 1939
    Philip Manning demonstrates electrified shaving equipment on his newly electrified farm on Manning Road south of Huntley in Rutland Township. Electricity was brought out to the farm i 1939. This was helpful to the farmer and his wife. She now had an electric store and washing machine.

  25. Philip Manning, Electricity on the Farm, 1939
    Philip Manning demonstrates the many new uses for electricity on his recently electrified farm in 1939. The Manning Farm was located on Manning Road near Big Timber Road south of Huntley in Rutland Township.

  26. Rent Invoice Chicago North Western Railroad for Enos Conley
    Rent Invoice for Feed Warehouse and Coal Shed from Chicago North Western Railway Company for Enos Conley.

  27. Swanson Cows 1951
    Deicke Farm, 1951. Percy Swanson's cows. Farm was located on North Church Street, Huntley.

  28. Swanson Farm
    Alfred and Anna Swanson Farm, Marengo Road, four miles west of Huntley.

  29. Swanson Farm 1936
    Swanson Family farm. Left to right - Mr. Petty, Harry Petty, Alve and Percy Swanson, Henry Hartman, and Mr. Warnecke and Bill Warnecke.

  30. Swanson Farm July 21, 1941
    Alfred and Anna Swanson Farm, Marengo Road, four miles west of Huntley.

  31. Swanson Farm September 3, 1929
    First tuberculosis tested cows in the Huntley area on Alfred Swanson Farm, Marengo Road, four miles west of Huntley.

  32. Swanson Farm, Corn Picking Time
    Picking corn on the Swanson Farm on the south side of Marengo Road.

  33. Swanson Farm, Harvest Time circa 1914
    Mabel Swanson watching her dad, Alfred, pulverize on the farm west of Huntley circa 1914.

  34. Swanson Farm, July 18, 1937
    Percy Swanson with horses. Pigeon house on the right. Marengo Road farm.

  35. Swanson Farm, Ready for Corn Picking, October 1944
    Morris and Charles Hemingsen and Alfred Swanson ready for corn picking time on the Deicke Farm in Huntley, October 1944.

  36. Swanson Farm, Ready for Field Work, 1931
    Ready for field work. Swanson Farm, Marengo Road.

  37. Swanson Farm, Stover Engine
    Alfred Swanson with a Stover gasoline engine. An engine that could be moved to accommodate various tasks on the farm.

  38. Swanson Farm, Threshing Crew, 1942
    Threshing crew. Edwin Deicke Farm, John Bauer tenant. Left to right: Ed Stading, John Bauer, Pat Bauer, Alfred Swanson, Louie (worked for Paul Swanson), Tootsie, Harold Harting, Sig Beaggers, Sig Beaggers' hired man, Arthur Garlieb's hired man, Tessmer child, John Bauer's grandson, Ray Potter, Lawrence Fettes' hired man John, and John Tobler.

  39. Thelma Brunschon Akerberg, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Thelma Brunschon Akerberg interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Elaine Kadakia at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Thelma Akerberg: October 19, 1923 - July 29, 2015.

  40. Town Square after 1893, before 1920
    Horses and milk wagons, after 1893. The Cook building can be seen on the south side of Main Street. Farmers brought milk to town every morning to one of the milk factories or to the train that would take the milk to Chicago.

  41. Victor Mey Plant 1910
    Victor Mey employees on Mill Street looking west. John Bauer, second from the right. There are milk cans on the porch and the railroad tracks are along the west side of building. John Bauer and his wife Anna farmed west of Huntley on the first farm west of town on the north side of Main Street.

  42. Victor Mey Plant 1913
    Victor Mey Milk Plant on Mill Street, east of railroad tracks, south side of street. Victor Mey plant produced its own electricity and provided power for Huntley in 1913, until 9:00 p.m. Mey was doing business with Huntley dairymen in the late 1800's. In 1907, Mey enlarged the facility to begin bottling milk, and erected an ice house at the rear of the building for the preservation of milk before shipping it to Chicago.

  43. Victor Mey Plant East Side
    East side of the Victor Mey building addition at rear of building. It seems likely that this is the ice house where milk was stored in bottles before it was shipped.

  44. Weltzien & Cornell Receipt 1893
    Weltzien and Cornell receipt, manufacturers of butter and cheese. Reciept for milk delivered from Hammer and Brewick, December 13, 1893 for 11,032 pounds of milk. Weltzien and Cornell, located on the west side of the railroad tracks in Huntley, was the largest milk factory of any in existance. The avrage receipts of the creamery were not less than 10 tons of milk every day of the year.

  45. Wilcox Farm
    Photograph from Combination Atlas Map of McHenry County, Illinois. Published 1872, reprinted by McHenry County Illinois Genealogical Society, 1011, North Green Street, McHenry, Illinois, 60050, 1985. 480 acres, Section 21, Grafton Township, McHenry County, Illinois. 9309 South Union Road. W. B. Wilcox farm owner. Wilcox resided in Chicago, Illinois. Theodore Roosevelt came to hunt on this farm in August of 1880 with his brother Elliot Roosevelt. Note milk can in cart, sheep, hunters. The house still stands as of July 2015. The farm was mentioned in the book, The Wilderness Warrior by Douglas Brinkley.

  46. Williams Farm
    The farm was located on Harmony Road across from the current Huntley High School campus. It was at one time owned by the James Williams family. It was purchased in the 1840s for $75 and later sold to Williams, who arrived in 1850. Most of the farms along Harmony Road were built or owned by members of the Williams family.

  47. Winne Barn and Livestock
    James Winne was one of the earliest settlers of the Huntley area. This farm was along the Huntley-Dundee Road east of town which was later owned and operated by his son and daughter-in-law, Platt and Elizabeth Winne. This farm was considered one of the showplaces of Huntley.

<-- Prev records |   Records 51 to 97 of 97