HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Huntley Area Dairy and Agricultural History

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 95   | Next records -->

  1. Abstract of Title for Charles J. and Hazel Lazansky
    Abstract of Title for Lazansky Property in Huntley, Illinois from 1849 - 1944.

  2. Abstract of Title for Otto S. Kreutzer 1849 - 1940
    Abstract of Title for property in Grafton Township, Huntley, Illinois from 1849 - 1940.

  3. Alfred Swanson, 1935
    Alfred Swanson (1913 - 2009) corn harvesting.

  4. Ahrens Milk Can and Feed Sack
    Ahrens land and farm was originally purchased and built by Yochim and Sophie (Brandt) Ahrens in the late 1860's after emigrating from Germany. The seed bag was owned by their son Fred J. Ahrens (1868-1946). The two milk cans were owned by his son Fred H. Ahrens (1914-2007). The Ahrens farm was located on Freeman Road at the north intersection of Freeman and Sandwald Roads. Fred H. inherited the farm from his father and moved to the farm in the 1950's. The farm was primarily a dairy farm and also produced eggs, corn, hay and straw. Fred H. and his wife Florence Schmid retired and sold the farm in 1979 to the Del Webb Development.

  5. Alfred and Alve Swanson, East Field
    Harvesting corn.

  6. Alve Swanson Picking Corn
    Alve picking corn on the farm west of Huntley.

  7. Arthur Kahl, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Arthur "Hoppy" Kahl interview conducted on September 4, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the Cosman Cultural Center, 12015 Mill Street, Huntley, Illinois. Arthur Kahl was born in 1950.

  8. Barbara Ernesti and Mary Manning, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Barbara Ernesti and Mary Beth Manning interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Barbara Ernesti was born in 1927. Mary Manning was born in 1931.

  9. Borden's Condensed Milk Factory Circa 1900
    The Borden's condensed milk factory, known as the "Queen of the West" faced to the south along the Chicago and Northwestern railroad tracks in Huntley. The local factory was a success due to the surplus of milk produced by area farmers. The convenience of the railroad system made it easy for Borden's to ship their products to Chicago.

  10. Borden's Milk Factory Brick Chimney
    Borden's Milk Factory Plant Chimney located on Vine Street, Huntley, IL. Produced condensed milk.

  11. Borden's Milk Factory Circa 1907
    Borden's Milk Factory, facing west toward the railroad. Produced condensed milk.

  12. Borden's Milk Factory View B
    Borden's milk plant on Vine Street opened in 1906 or 1907. The convenience of the nearby railroad made shipping milk into Chicago very efficient.

  13. Borden's Milk Factory with Couple
    West facade of the elaborate Borden's Milk Factory circa 1907.

  14. Cattle Dealer Barn
    This barn was built on a four-acre plot on Mill Street in Huntley by George Hemmer Jr. (1853-1925). The barn was moved in 1946 to the Charles Edwards farm on Harmony Road, one-half mile west of Hemmer Road. George Hemmer was a cattle dealer who traveled to Iowa and Wisconsin to purchase livestock. His clientele was made up of dairy farmers in the Huntley area who needed to replace cows in their herds who were no longer capable of milk production. This barn was next to the Chicago and North Western railroad tracks where the cattle were unloaded and housed until sold. Mr. Hemmer died in 1925 and his business was closed. The barn stood vacant. In 1945 a farmer west of Hemmer Road lost his barn due to fire and purchased the Hemmer barn and arranged to have it moved to his farm. The photo shows the truck pulling the barn, which had just turned from Huntley onto Hemmer Road.

  15. Chuck Ernesti, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Chuck Ernesti interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Elaine Kadakia at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois.

  16. Clanyard Farm 1974
    Aerial photograph of farm located west of Huntley on what is now West Main Street intersected with Kreutzer Road. Currently (2015) a Village of Huntley water tower stands on this property. Farm operators were James Thurston Brian in the 1930's and Harold Kunde, tenants of William McCredie, owner.

  17. Colleen's Cote 1950's
    Colleen's Cote, Holstein dairy cattle. Farm owned by Neil C. Hurley, Jr. The farm was south of Pleasant Valley Road, north of Hensel Road and west of Hamilton Road. Circa 1950's. Mr. Hurley invited the altar boys from St. Mary Church to swim in the lake. Around 1960 the farm was sold and became a subdivision.

  18. Cornell Brothers Condensing Factory
    Cornell Brothers Condensing Factory, Huntley, IL. Produced evaporated and condensed milk. This second factory was located on Church Street. The first factory was located on the west side of the railroad tracks in downtown Huntley. The loading dock is in the foreground of this photograph, along the railroad tracks.

  19. Cornell Brothers Creamery After Fire 1907
    Cornell Brothers Creamery Fire occured on Tuesday, May 7, 1907, 2 a.m. This was the first building of Cornell's and was located on the west side of the railroad tracks between Main and Mill Streets in downtown Huntley. The Cornell Brothers began as partners with John Weltzien in this first Cornell factory in 1883.

  20. Country Mailman, 1911
    Rural mail delivery, United States Mail, Union, Illinois. December 23, 1911.

  21. Custom Farm Services Office
    Francis Leo (Duke) Manning and Marlene Malone in the office.

  22. Daniel Donahue Farm 1896
    Daniel Donahue Junior and helpers are getting ready to store hay in the barn. The homestead was founded in 1850 by Daniel Donahue Senior and wife Johanna O'Neal Donahue who were Irish immigrants. The farm was located at what is now known as Kreutzer Road and State Route 47. The Donahues raised seven children on the farm.

  23. Dean's Milk Company Factory 1946
    Dean's Milk Company, built in 1946. West side of the building is in the foreground. The plant produced milk in cartons and jugs. There have been many additions to the building in the years since it was built. The business is still in use as Dean's Foods as of June, 2015.

  24. Dean's Milk Company Processing Milk
    An Employee monitors milk processing.

  25. Dean's Milk General Manager Bud Weber
    Bud Weber General Manager, circa 1955

  26. Dean's Milk Home Delivery
    Home delivery of Dean's Milk.

  27. Dean's Milk Ready to Ship
    The shipping department at Dean's Milk.

  28. Deicke Farm 1940
    Farm on Main Street just north of the current day Deicke Park.

  29. Deicke Farm August 1941
    Edwin Deicke owned this farm. This was one of many farms owned by Mr. Deicke in the Huntley area.

  30. Doris Marsh, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Doris Marsh interview May, 5 2012. Interviewed by Jim Donohue at American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Doris Marsh was born November 20, 1936.

  31. Drendel Farm
    The Drendel farm was located south of the town of Huntley. It was settled by George and Mary Drendel circa 1908. Their son Frank followed his parents on the farm. Frank and his wife, Henrietta's youngest son, Vernon, built the farm up to be a modern facility. The farm was operated for nearly ninety years by the Drendel family before it made way for the beginning of Sun City.

  32. Edwin Deicke Farm
    Swanson Family Farm, Deicke Farm west of Huntley. Tenant George Tinberg and his parents Mr. and Mrs. Gus Tinberg.

  33. Edwin Deicke Farm, West of Huntley
    Swanson Family Farm, George Tinberg, tenant, north side of Main Street, Huntley, Illinois.

  34. Enos Conley and Sons, Laboratory
    Francis Leo (Duke) Manning, general manager of the fertilizing department at Enos Conley and Sons, tests soil in the modern laboratory located in the first building Enos Conley built in 1905. Photo dated 1960-09-08.

  35. Former Creamery
    One of C. E. Wood and John Weltzien's creameries. This one was located at Harmony on Route 20 and Harmony Road. Other creameries were located at Hampshire, Coral, Coyne Station, and Huntley. This creamery operated circal 1880's.

  36. Frank Lawson
    Local butcher, Frank Lawson, poses in front of his home on Grove Street. Lawson purchased the home in 1906, about one year after he opened his Main Street meat market.

  37. From Talking Machines to Milking Machines
    Booklet produced by the Babson Bros. Co. that explains the history of the dairy industry. Dedicated "to all dairy people - dairymen, processors, equipment manufactures, sanitarians, veterinarians and dairy researchers - all of whom have contributed to make the industry prosper."

  38. Hemmer Barn
    George Hemmer Junior built this barn in the late 1880's to house cattle he bought in Iowa and other states then sold to Huntley dairy farmers. This was a five acre farm with a house on the north side of Mill Street. The railroad track in the middle of the photograph is the Chicago and North Western Railroad track. The track which runs to the right of the barn was the track for the street car that connected Elgin and Belvidere. The buildings at the center of the photograph were the farm of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Martin, son Patrick and daughter Hannah Martin. The square white building at the right center was the second rectory of St. Mary Church and was built in the early 1920's.

  39. Huntley Custom Farm Service Employees
    Left, Keith Melahn. Center, Gordon Diedrick. Right, Francis Leo (Duke) Manning. Custom Farm Services became McHenry Farm Services of Huntley around 1972.

  40. Jack Tures, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Jack Tures interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Pamela Fender in the parking lot at 10911 North Woodstock Street, Huntley, IL 60142.

  41. Jelke 1914 with Train Cars
    John F. Jelke Company produced evaporated and condensed milk at its Huntley plant along the C & NW Railroad Tracks. The train cars were loaded each day with Jelke products. Jelke also made 'Good Luck' margarine, "The Finest Spread for Bread". Good Luck later became Imperial Margarine.

  42. Jelke Basketball Team 1926-1927
    The John F. Jelke Company sponsored this basketball team in 1926-1927. Only Leo Dwyer, at top right, is identified.

  43. Jerry Nepermann, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Jerry Nepermann interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Jerry Nepermann was born in 1959.

  44. John F. Jelke Plant
    The John F. Jelke Company produced evaporated and condensed milk in a plant situationed along the Chicago and North Western Railroad tracks in Huntley. The plant was on the corner of Church and Mill Streets. Jelke Company operated at this location from 1912 until about 1920. They also produced Good Luck margarine.

  45. John F. Jelke Plant 1914
    John F. Jelke Company Milk Plant located on the east side of the railroad tracks and faced South Church Street. The Chicago and North Western Railroad cars were loaded daily with Jelke Company's evaporated and condensed milk. The building had formally been occupied by Cornell Brothers Milk Factory. Jelke added a second smokestack to the building in 1918.

  46. Keating Stock Barns
    Edward E. Keating, 1871 - 1937. Photograph shows a typical scene of Huntley's agricultural past. The Keatings were wealthy cattle dealers who owned land around Huntley. Edward was the son of Patrick and Margaret nee Harmon, Keating.

  47. Lee R. Hennig, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Lee R. Hennig interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Elaine Kadakia at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Lee Hennig: February 13, 1929 - March 25, 2014.

  48. Lois Parisek and Betty Zirk, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Lois "Boots" Boncosky Parisek and Betty Boncosky Zirk interview conducted on March 3, 2014, by Jake Marino at the Cosman Cultural Center, 12015 Mill Street, Huntley, Illinois. Lois Parisek was 84 at the time of the interview. Betty Zirk was 88 at the time of the interview.

  49. Marge Drendel, Oral History Interview
    Audio recording of Marge Drendel interview conducted on May 5, 2012, by Jim Donohue at the American Legion Post 673, 11712 West Coral Street, Huntley, Illinois. Marge Drendel was born in 1925.

  50. Marsh Farm 1962
    Ron and Lee Marsh with George Borhart on the last day Borhart picked up milk at the Marsh Farm. The dairy was sold in July of 1962. The Marsh Farm is located on Church Road west of Huntley.

  Records 1 to 51 of 95   | Next records -->