HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

North Suburban Library District Local History Collection

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 298   | Next records -->

  1. Airplane Refueling at Standard Oil Station, Loves Park
    This plane ran out of fuel and landed in a field (an area which is now Riverside Blvd, east of North 2nd Street) across the street from the Standard Oil Station at 6104 North 2nd Street, the corner of Clifford and North 2nd St, where it was able to refuel. The manager of the station from 1930-35 was Zenor O. Jones, and the driver of the oil tank truck pictured was ""Cowboy"" Alden. Photograph size: 15 x 9 cm. Donated by MAry Ruby Jones.

  2. Assessor's book for 1869, for the town of Harlem in the County of Winnebago
    This handwritten ledger is a record of taxable real estate in the town of Harlem in the County of Winnebago. The ledger lists real estate owners, location of property, size of property, and its value for the year 1869. It includes a list of taxable personal property of the people of Harlem with values for items such as livestock, carriages, wagons, etc. Ledger size: 27 x 40.

  3. Barber Colman Co. picnickers, 1917
    Barber Colman Company employees and their families at the company picnic, 1917. The picnic took place at the Hononegah Forest Preserve near Roscoe, IL (see also photos titled ""Hononegah Forest Preserve.""). In 1917, the preserve was called ""Ho-no-ne-gah Park."" Photograph size: 10 x 25 cm. Donated by Beverly J. Taylor.

  4. Blueberry Hill
    This photo was taken just north of what is now the North Second Street clover leaf and Auburn Street Bridge (former site of the High Bridge). The two railroad tracks in the picture are the Interurban Rail and the Chicago and Northwestern Rail. Photograph size: 18 x 9 cm. Donated by Art Anderson.

  5. Blume's Garage
    This photograph shows a line up of 1920s vintage cars in front of the distinctive building of Blume's Garage, 5614 North Second Street. Blume's has been in business in Loves Park from the early 1920s until the present (2002). Photograph size: 11 x 13 cm. Donated by Marie Blume.

  6. Blume's Garage employees in the 1950's
    Blume's Garage employees of the 1950's line up for a group picture. Blume's Garage, still in operation, is located at 5614 N. 2nd St., Loves Park, Illinois. Photograph size: 15 x 10 cm. Donated by Marie Blume.

  7. Blume's Garage in Loves Park, 1922
    Blume's Garage, 5614 North Second Street, Loves Park, in 1922, before the city grew up around it, where it still exists today. Photograph size: 28 x 22 cm.

  8. Blume's Garage in the 1950's
    Blume's Garage, circa 1950, stands steadfast as the city grows up around it and the style of the cars serviced changes. Located at 5614 N. 2nd St., Loves Park, IL, the business still operates out of its original building. Photograph size: 13 x 10 cm. Donated by Marie Blume.

  9. Blume's Garage: Asa Rinhart and Bill Philips, 1926
    Asa Rinhart and Bill Philips inside Blume's Garage in 1926. This business still currently exists in the same building, under new ownership. Photograph size: 28 x 22 cm.

  10. Burkman Home
    The house pictured was built in 1840 by the Warner family and purchased by Amil Burkman in 1898. It remained in the Burkman family until it was sold in 1995 by William Burkman to Douglas and Marla Price. It was located at 9578 N. 2nd St. Photograph size: 20 x 25 cm. Donated by Art Anderson.

  11. Burrwood Avenue around 1952
    This photograph of the south side of Burrwood Avenue, looking east, was taken around 1952 from 222 Burrwood, Loves Park, IL. The homeowner was attracted by the rainbow, seen on the right side of the photo. Photograph size: 13 x 20 cm.

  12. Car on West Lane Road
    This car is stuck in the mud on West Lane Road which is now Illinios Highway 173. Photograph size: 11 x 15 cm. Donated by Wallace Ralston.

  13. Clifford Avenue in the Winter of 1942
    Teen Bell Larson views the deep snow of the winter of 1942. She is on Clifford Avenue facing Walker Avenue. Photograph size: 14 x 9 cm.

  14. Corn picking crew
    Grandfather (Fremont) Paulson is pictured picking corn on a farm 1 1/2 miles south of Argyle. Photograph size: 13 x 18 cm. Donated by Warren and Helen Paulson.

  15. Cross Family
    Pictured are Robert J. Cross 1803-1873, the first settler in Roscoe, William H. Cross 1807-1886, brother of Robert, and Margaret Cross Norton 1801-1850, sister of Robert. Robert Cross was the great, great grandfather of Wallace Ralston. Photograph size: 20 x 15 cm. Donated by Wallace Ralston.

  16. Cross family matriarch, Margaret Hanna, mother of Robert
    Margaret Hanna Cross (1763-1846) was the mother of Robert J. Cross, the first settler in Roscoe, IL. Photograph size: 13 x 9 cm. Donated by Wallace Ralston.

  17. Cross family: Hannah and her son, Lewis
    This photograph shows Hannah Cross (Mrs. Robert), 1812-1893, and her son, Lewis Cross, 1851-1931. Photograph size: 20 x 16 cm. Donated by Wallace Ralston.

  18. Cross house and barn, Roscoe, built by Robert Cross, 1845
    Robert Cross, Roscoe's first settler, came to this area in 1835. The house and barn were built in 1845. Photograph size: 9 x 7 cm.

  19. Fabrick Barn in July 1989
    This 1989 photograph shows the Hawley Fabrick's barn which was originally built in 1860. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  20. Fabrick Home in July of 1989
    This photograph shows the Fabrick home at 5144 Henry, Harlem Village in July of 1989. The home was built in 1860 and is currently (2002) owned by the grandson Hawley Fabrick. Photograph size: 9 x 13 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  21. Fabrick scale pit
    This photograph shows what is left of the Fabrick Scale pit (1854-1942) which was once used to weigh livestock, then used by Patterson Lumber. It now serves as a patio for homeowner Hawley Fabrick. Photograph size: 9 x 13 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  22. Fabrick Store
    This store, established in Harlem Village by L. A. Fabrick and run by Isaac Swartout, burned down in 1928 and was rebuilt in the same location. Photograph size: 5 x 7 in.

  23. Fabrick's Store
    This photograph shows Fabrick's Store in July of 1989. The store was originally built in 1860 in what was then Harlem Village, now Loves Park. A living descendant of the early resident of Harlem Village who owned Fabrick's store is Hawley Fabrick. Photograph size: 9 x 13 cm.Donated by Linda Maitland.

  24. Field of Honor, Loves Park, IL, Korean War statue
    The Field of Honor Veterans Memorial consists of five vertical limestone columns and eight bronze statues standing before a series of 40 American flags. The memorial was conceived by Art Anderson to honor veterans who served in the five wars of the 20th century. Pictured here is the Korean War statue. Photograph size: 13 x 9 cm.

  25. Field of Honor, Loves Park, Illinois, with Honor Guard
    The Field of Honor Veteran's Memorial stands just north of Loves Park City Hall. Statues representing the military from different eras memorialize the sacrifices made by local men and women. Photograph size: 13 x 9 cm.

  26. Fire House Pub Food & Spirits
    The Firehouse Pub Food & Spirits, a Roscoe, IL business, is housed in the former Harlem-Roscoe Fire Department building at 10670 Main Street. Photograph size: 9 x 13 cm.

  27. Firehouse Pub Food & Spirits entrance
    Pictured here is the entrance to the Firehouse Pub Food & Spirits located at 10670 Main Street, Roscoe, IL, in the former Harlem-Roscoe Fire Department building. Photograph size 9 x 13 cm.

  28. Flood of 1971 showing Martin Park
    An aerial photograph of the flood of 1971 looking west across Rock River just south of Riverside Blvd. Bridge. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm.

  29. Flood of 1971, Forest Hills Road
    Aerial photograph of flood of 1971, looking west from Harlem and Forest Hills Roads. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  30. Flood of 1971, Harlem Alpine Shopping Center
    This aerial photograph of the flood of 1971 looks north along the east side of Alpine Road. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm.

  31. Flood of 1971, Harlem Road
    An aerial photograph of the flood of 1971, looking north just east of North Second Street in the Harlem Road area. Visible in the upper right hand corner of the photo are the First Baptist Church and North Park Elementary School along Harlem Road. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by LInda Maitland.

  32. Flood of 1971, looking east
    Aerial shot of the flood of 1971 in Loves Park, IL, showing the intersection of Windsor Road and Elm Avenue at the middle left, Blue Star Foods and Rockford Clutch on the left, Barber Coleman on the right, and Windsor Lake at the top of the photo. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  33. Flood of 1971, looking north
    This aerial photograph of the Loves Park, Illinois, flood of 1971 looks north around Harlem Road and Venus Street. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm.

  34. Flood of 1971, looking North on Alpine Road
    An aerial photograph of the flood of 1971, looking north along Alpine Road from Forest Hills Road. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  35. Flood of 1971, north of Harlem Road
    An aerial photograph of the flooding in 1971 north of Harlem Road. On the right side of the photo are the First Baptist Church and North Park Elementary School along Harlem Road, Loves Park. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  36. Flood of 1971, Parks Journal building
    An aerial photograph of the flood of 1971, the southwest quadrangle of land formed by Forest Hill and Harlem Roads. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  37. Flood of 1971, Riverside Blvd.
    An aerial photograph of the flood of 1971, looking west along Riverside Blvd. past the Rock River. Photograph size: 18 x 24 cm. Donated by Linda Maitland.

  38. Flooding at 5400 North Second Street
    This photograph shows flooding at 5400 North Second Street, Loves Park, IL, July, 1952. Photograph size: 11 x 17 cm.

  39. Flooding at 5400 North Second Street
    This photograph shows flooding at 5400 North Second Street in Loves Park in July of 1952. Photograph size: 12 x 16 cm. Donated by Ruth Greek

  40. Flooding in area of North Second Street and Riverside Blvd.
    This aerial photograph of the 1952 flood in Loves Park, IL, shows the area of North Second Street and Riverside Blvd. Photograph size: 20 x 25 cm. Donated by Kent Moberg.

  41. Fred E. and Mae Machesney
    This photograph is of local aviator and airport owner Fred E. Machesney and his wife Mae. Photograph size: 20 x 25 cm.

  42. Fred James with his airplane at Machesney Airport
    Fred James, photographer for the Chicago Tribune, poses next to his airplane at Machesney Airport. Note the photographer's decal on the side of the plane. Photograph size: 21 x 25 cm. Donated by Robert Miller.

  43. Fred Machesney, Bert Hassel, (and others) inspect Plane Motor
    A group of local aviators and business men view an airplane motor. Photograph size: 21 x 26 cm. Donated by Robert Miller.

  44. George Miller and the mail wagon
    George Miller and the mail wagon making deliveries in Roscoe in 1910 stop to visit with the Reverend Quincy Dow and his dog Roscoe. From ""Picture Story of Roscoe"" compiled by Dorothy Hunter, published by Roscoe Lions Club, 1989. Size: 13 x 18 cm.

  45. Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church of Loves Park
    The dedication of the new church at 343 Grand Avenue, Loves Park, was held on Christmas Day, December 25, 1924. Photograph size: 13 x 18 cm. Donated by Edith and Bill Cadwell.

  46. Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church of Loves Park
    The dedication of the new church at 343 Grand Avenue, Loves Park, was held on Christmas Day, December 25, 1924. Photograph size: 13 x 18 cm. Donated by Edith and Bill Cadwell.

  47. Grain elevator, Harlem Village
    This grain elevator located at Harlem Village was built by L. A. Fabrick and later owned by J. H. Patterson, Co. The Harlem train station is in the foreground. The home of Richard Hurlbert is also shown. Photograph size: 13 x 18 cm.

  48. Grandma Shumway
    Mrs. Shumway was William Holdridge's mother, and the grandmother of Ruby Holdridge (Layng)and Dwight Holdridge. William Holdridge was an early farm owner in Loves Park, IL. Photograph size: 26 x 19 cm. Donated by Grace Miller.

  49. Harlem Blacksmith Shop
    The Harlem Blacksmith Shop was operated by Robert McNielly, who, with his wife, lived on the second floor. The shop had the first telephone in Harlem Village. Part of the ground level area of the structure was used for building carts, wagons, sleights, etc. The shop was located across from the Harlem Town Hall on Henry St. Photograph size: 20 x 25 cm. Contributed by Midway Village and Museum Center.

  50. Harlem Consolidated High School 1947 football team, in formation
    The 1947 Harlem Consolidated High School football team poses in formation on the school football field. Team members are unidentified. Photograph size: 18 x 25 cm. Donated by Swanborg.

  Records 1 to 51 of 298   | Next records -->