HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Arlington Heights People & Places

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 1694   | Next records -->

  1. 315 E Park Place
    This house, which is located in the Scarsdale subdivision, was built about 1951. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  2. Abe Blum Farm Implement Sale
    This photo was taken circa 1900 at Campbell Street and Dunton Avenue during a farm implement sale. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  3. Aerial view Arlington Heights
    Aerial View of Arlington Heights looking north. Photo taken in about 1925. Shows the town surrounded by farms. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  4. Aerial view north of railroad tracks
    This photo taken about 1930 shows Recreation Park with the baseball diamond. Upper center: Public Garden plots. Upper left: Cherry Orchards. The industrial area in foreground includes Heller Lumber and Arlington Seating Company. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  5. Aerial View of 8 Corners in Scarsdale
    During the Depression, they were many lots for sale in Scarsdale but no one could afford the cost of the lot or the taxes on the lots. Construction on these lots did not get going until after World War II. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  6. Aerial View of Arlington Heights
    Aerial View of Arlington Heights looking north. Photo taken in 1925. Shows the town surrounded by farms. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  7. Aerial View of Arlington Heights Looking West Before 1928
    This view shows Railroad Avenue in foreground. Railroad Park in front of the Train Depot and Mors Parkway. The Railroad Park was sold in 1945 for commuter and business parking. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  8. Aerial View of Downtown Arlington Heights
    Corner of North Dunton Avenue and Davis Street. Rodewald Building is on the left. The photo was taken in 1960. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  9. Aerial View of Downtown Arlington Heights
    Pictured is Arlington Heights Road in the foreground with Northwestern Railroad track cutting through the middle of photo and Northwest Highway to the right. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  10. Aerial View of Downtown Arlington Heights
    Corner of North Dunton Avenue and Davis Street. The wedge shaped building is 1st Arlington Bank. The Rodewald Building is on the right. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  11. Aerial View of Downtown Arlington Heights
    This aerial view looking south shows a colonial looking building in the left-hand corner this was originally Arlington Federal Savings & Loan and is now Citibank. The street immediately to the left is Evergreen Avenue and the next street with the curve over the tracks is Arlington Heights Road. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  12. Aerial View of Dunton Avenue and Davis Street
    Corner of North Dunton Avenue and Davis Street. 1st Arlington Bank is building on the left side of photo. Federal Savings Loan is further back east and the Rodewald Building is on the right. The photo was taken in 1960. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  13. Aerial View of Foundry and Kensington Roads
    Aerial view of Foundry and Kensington Roads. Upper left corner: Victory gardens and Heller Lumber Company. Upper middle: Village dump, now the location of Arlington Market (soon to be condos). Center: Arlington Seating Co. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org)

  14. Aerial View of Greenbriar Neighborhood
    Aerial view Greenbrier neighborhood. Photo taken March 15, 1964. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  15. Aerial View of the Railroad Tracks
    Looking east along the railroad track from Highland Avenue. Photo was taken about 1929 and was in the Albert Volz album. Four block east of Vail Avenue is open prairie. The Vail-Davis building can be seen in the upper right section of this photo. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  16. Aerial View of the Stonegate Subdivsion
    Aerial View of the Stonegate Subdivision in 1946. Photo taken in 1946. Stonegate was first developed in the 1920s and 1930s by Laudermilk Realty Association. Stonegate is located east of Dryden Place between Kensington Road and Northwest Highway. It has a wide park like area separating the two sides of Windsor Drive. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  17. Aerial view of the Vail-Davis Building
    Vail-Davis Building built in the 1920's, located at the corner of Davis and Vail in downtown Arlington Heights. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  18. Aerial view of the Weber Grill factory
    Aerial view of the Weber Grill factory located on Hickory Street. In 1952, Stephen Weber invented a dome-shaped grill. Between 1962 and 1983, his factory in Arlington Heights supplied grills to people all over the United States. In 1983, they transferred their operations to Palatine, IL. In the background of photo is Recreation Park. Victory Gardens in the foreground. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  19. Aftermath of Diamond Sewing Machine Fire in 1895
    In 1875, John Sigwalt relocated his foundry business from Chicago to Arlington Heights. The two-story building was located on Kensington. In 1883, the company was sold to Diamond Sewing Machine Company. Fire destroyed the foundry in 1895. After the fire James Harris purchased the ruins and rebuilt it for the manufacturing gray iron castings and sewing machine standards. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  20. Allen, Berbecker, and Bray
    While traveling in California after World War I, the Berbeckers, Allens and Brays visited an orange grove. The four residents from Arlington Heights from left to right are: Mr. Richard Bray, Mrs. Elizabeth Bray, Marjorie Berbecker (Allen), and Mr. E. N. Berbecker. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  21. Allen, Berbecker, and Bray
    Pictured in a garden in 1923 are left to right: Luella Day (Mrs. Rex) Volz; Sophie (Mrs. Henry) Blume; and Anna Beckman. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  22. Allen, Elija Amasa
    Elijah Amasa Allen was a settler from Vermont who traveled to the Wheeling township area in 1847. He was born about 1818 and died October 24, 1888. He lived on a farm southwest of Dunton (Arlington Heights) for 12 years before he bought three acres of land running north from Euclid Avenue to what is now Hawthorne Street. In 1859, he built a farmhouse in Dunton on what is now on the corner of Highland and Euclid Avenues . It is one of the oldest houses in town. He raised vegetables and fruit trees and other farm crops. A friend of Elijah Allen, Julius Berbecker originally from New Orleans, came to Chicago to open a sales office for imported surgical instruments with a branch office in Arlington Heights. When Berbecker's wife died in 1864 leaving him with 3 small children, he brought them to live with Elijah's family. Son Eugene was about 18 months old at the time. The two older children left after a few years, but Eugene spent his life at 116 West Euclid Avenue. After Elija's death, Eugene N. Berbecker inherited the house and Berbecker's daughter, Marjorie, married John Allen, a local building contractor who was not a relative of Elijah. Eugene constructed a full second story over the house and a front porch was made to cover the entire Euclid Avenue side of the house. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  23. Allen, Lillian T.
    Lillian (or Lydia as her name was given in the 1870 and 1880 censuses) T. Allen was the wife of Elija Amasa Allen, early settler of Arlington Heights. Elija Allen was one of the founders of the First Presbyterian Church in Arlington Heights. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  24. Allen, Marjorie Berbecker
    This photo shows Marjorie Berbecker Allen volunteering in the Arlington Heights Historical Society's Museum Country Store in November 1980 when she was 85 years young. She was an active member and worker of the organization she helped found in 1957. Marjorie also volunteered at Northwest Community Hospital where she devoted one 8 hour day per week for over 15 years. In addition, she spent extra hours making monthly reports in order to help the hospital receive state funds based upon volunteer hours. Marjorie lived a long, productive life and died July 11, 1989 at age 93. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  25. Allen, Marjorie Berbecker
    Mrs. Marjorie Berbecker Allen was devoted to many causes in Arlington Heights. She was in charge of the fund drives for the Tuberculosis Association at a time when they were in great need of help to conquer this dread disease. She also began the Christmas Seal sales in Arlington Heights about 1925 and continued to run the campaigns for 20 years. She soon realized that the fund would be improved if carried out by mail rather than door to door. She then organized the first mailings for the Tuberculosis Association in Arlington Heights. In 1957, she became a founding member of the Historical Society of Arlington Heights and remained active throughout her life. She died in 1989 at age 93. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  26. Allen, Marjorie Berbecker
    Marjorie Berbecker Allen was born in 1895, in a home at 116 West Euclid. She was the daughter of Eugene and Lillian. Eugene N. Berbecker, her father, was president of the Arlington Heights State Bank, the first bank in town. Marjorie graduated from Wells College in New York, where she majored in mathematics and German. She married John Allen, March 7, 1924. He was a house carpenter who was born in England and no relation to Elijah Allen. Marjorie and John Allen had two children, Ann K. born in 1913, and John G. born about 1920. In 1930, she was elected chairwoman of the new Arlington Heights Public Health Committee. In 1957, she and nine others formed the Arlington Heights Historical Society and Marjorie was the first corresponding secretary of its board. Later she served as chairman of that board and then as curator. She died July 11, 1989, at the age of 93, in the same home in which she was born. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  27. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added in 1903, bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The Altenheim Gesellschaft building was demolished in 1954. The current Lutheran Home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  28. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    This photo of the Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association - was taken from Fremont Street before 1917 after the first addition was put on. Altenheim Gesellschaft, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added on in 1903 bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The Altenheim Gesellschaft building was demolished in 1954. The current Lutheran Home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  29. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    Altenheim Gesellschaft, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added on in 1903, bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  30. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added in 1903, bringing it's capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The Altenheim Gesellschaft building was demolished in 1954. The current Lutheran home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  31. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added on in 1903, bringing it's capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building on the present location of 800 West Oakton Street was started. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  32. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    This photo of the Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association - was taken in the snow, after the first addition was put on. Altenheim Gesellschaft, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added in 1903, bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The Altenheim Gesellschaft building was demolished in 1954. The current Lutheran Home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  33. Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association
    This photo of the Altenheim Gesellschaft - Old Folks Home Association - was taken in 1954 just before its demolition. Altenheim Gesellschaft, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was built in 1903, bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The current Lutheran Home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  34. Altenheim Gesellschaft, Old Folks Home Association
    This photo of the Altenheim Gesellschaft, Old Folks Home Association, was taken before 1917, after the first addition was put on. Altenheim Gesellschaft, a Lutheran home for the aged, was completed in August 1893. It was located on Walnut Avenue between Northwest Highway and Euclid Avenue. An addition was added in 1903 bringing its capacity to 77 residents. In 1922, another wing was added for an additional 40 beds. After World War II there was a need for more space and services and, in 1952, the first building of the present Lutheran Home was begun at 800 West Oakton Street. The Lutheran Home is a residential and health care facility with eight levels of care. The Altenheim Gesellschaft building was demolished in 1954. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  35. American House Tavern
    American House Tavern was erected in 1899 at 33 W. Campbell. It was know as the Vail Tavern from 1917-1932. The Tavern was owned by the following: Peter Busch, 1899-1910; Charles Shane, 1910-1912; W. G. Meyer; 1912-1917; Louis Sadecky, 1917-1932; Vincent Sadecky, 1932-1954; Tony Frigo, 1954-1966; William Andreis, 1966-

  36. Andrew G. Horcher Blacksmith Shop
    Andrew G. Horcher's Blacksmith Shop was located at 22 South Evergreen Avenue. It was discontinued in 1922 at which time it was changed to auto sales. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  37. Arlington 5 - 10 & 25 Store
    Arlington 5 & 10 Store located on Campbell Street. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  38. Arlington Cab 1930
    William Metz in front of one of his taxi #263J. He ran a taxi service from 1924-1930. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  39. Arlington Club Beverages Delivery Truck
    Started by Frederick Muller in the late 1870s, the F. W. Muller Carbonated Beverages Company changed its name in 1923 to Arlington Club Beverages when sons William and Henry took over. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  40. Arlington Club Beverages delivery truck after 1936 blizzard
    One lane was open so the trucks of Arlington Club Beverages were on their rounds. F. W. Muller Carbonated Beverages Co. which started in the late 1870s became Arlington Club Beverages when the Muller sons took over. A little snow would not keep the Pop Factory from filling orders. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  41. Arlington Club Beverages delivery truck after 1936 blizzard
    The picture was taken after the roads have been cleared. Note the height of the snowbank to the left. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  42. Arlington Club Beverages delivery truck after 1936 blizzard
    Note the second story window in the background behind the snow banks after snow was cleared so vehicles could get through. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  43. Arlington Club Beverages delivery truck during 1936 blizzard
    Delivery truck during the blizzard of 1936. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  44. Arlington Club Beverages truck after blizzard of 1936
    The plow got through the road after the blizzard of 1936, but the only vehicle on the road is the pop truck. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  45. Arlington Club Delivery Truck Colorized Postcard
    Truck outside of the Pop Factory located at 110/112 West Fremont Street around 1908. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  46. Arlington Club Pop Factory Plant on Fremont
    In 1882, Frederick W. Muller built a home at 500 N. Vail Ave. with a pop factory in the basement. In 1906, he built a larger factory at 110/112 West Fremont Street. The plant occupied the first floor and two sons, William and Henry, had apartments for their families on the second floor. Muller Carbonated Beverages (later Arlington Club) supplied people as far away as Bensenville and Half Day with beverages such as Klondike Fizz, Buffalo Mead, and Cream Soda. The factory now houses the Arlington Heights Historical Society and Museum. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  47. Arlington Club Trucks in the 1940s
    Manufacture of carbonated beverages was deemed non-essential to the war effort. Few people were available to hire. So in December of 1944, Joyce's 7-UP Beverages bought out the 73 year old Arlington Club Beverages and the operation eventually relocated to Central Road where it was still known as Arlington Club Beverages for several decades. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  48. Arlington Elevator and Coal Company
    Between 1920 and 1928 six silos were added to the three existing silos. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  49. Arlington Elevator and Coal Company
    The elevator discontinued the coal business in 1953. Pictured are among the first motorized vehicles in Arlington Heights. Today this site is a commuter parking lot. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  50. Arlington Elevator and Coal Company
    This shows part of the buildings of Arlington Elevator Company. They built a total of nine silos between 1920 and 1928. Eight were used to hold coal and gravel, the ninth was for sand. The elevator discontinued the coal business in 1953. Today this site is a commuter parking lot. This item is part of the collection of the Arlington Heights Historical Society (http://www.ahmuseum.org).

  Records 1 to 51 of 1694   | Next records -->