HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Des Plaines Area History

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 54   | Next records -->

  1. C54 "Skymaster"
    Douglas “Skymaster” Army C54 Combat Transport, built at Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., Chicago plant shown here over Chicago.

  2. C54 "Skymaster"
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. built the “Skymaster” Army C54 Combat Transport at their Chicago plant, located south of Des Plaines. Now part of O’Hare airport.

  3. C54 Combat Transport
    View of Douglas “Skymaster” Army C54 Combat Transport, built at Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., Chicago plant, located south of Des Plaines. Now part of O’Hare airport.

  4. C54 Combat Transport
    View of Douglas “Skymaster” Army C54 Combat Transport, built at Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., Chicago plant, located south of Des Plaines. Now part of O’Hare airport.

  5. C54-D Aircraft
    United States Air Force aircraft C54-D manufactured by Douglas Aircraft.

  6. C54-D Aircraft
    United States Air Force aircraft C54-D manufactured by Douglas Aircraft.

  7. Des Plaines City Hall
    Stereoscopic card depicting the Des Plaines City Hall, corner of Lee and Ellinwood Streets, circa 1937. The Des Plaines Public Library was housed in the west wing before construction of a new library building in 1958.

  8. Des Plaines school, 1868
    This wood-frame building, which stood on Pearson Street north of Miner Street, served as Des Plaines’ only public school from the late 1850s until the construction of a new brick school building just to the north of this one in 1874.

  9. Des Plaines school, 1868
    Reverse of photograph Des Plaines school, 1868 with list of hand written names (some illegible)

  10. Des Plaines, Illinois, circa September 1937
    Stereoscopic photograph view of Des Plaines, Illinois train depot and water tower

  11. Douglas Aircraft Company
    Douglas Aircraft factory building on the location of the future O’Hare Airport.

  12. Douglas Aircraft Company
    Douglas Aircraft Assembly Department building on the location of the future O’Hare Airport.

  13. Douglas Aircraft Company
    The Douglas Aircraft Company provided child care services for their employees during World War II. The plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport. Pictured: Ruth Schallawitz, Nee Wagner (with flashlight).

  14. Douglas Aircraft Company
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., circa 1944. This Chicago plant, located south of Des Plaines, is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  15. Douglas Aircraft Company
    The Douglas Aircraft Company provided child care services for their employees during World War II. The plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport. Pictured: Ruth Schallawitz, Nee Wagner (front) and Loretta McLean (rear).

  16. Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., circa 1944. This Chicago plant, located south of Des Plaines, is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  17. Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc.
    Military aircraft being assembled inside the Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. Chicago plant, circa 1944. This plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  18. Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc.
    View of the Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc., Chicago plant, circa 1944 as seen from underneath a military aircraft. The plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  19. Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc.
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. Chicago plant, circa 1944. The plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  20. Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc.
    View outside the Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. The plant was located south of Des Plaines and is now part of O’Hare Airport.

  21. Douglas Aircraft Copyright Stamp
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. photo copyright stamp with “Wings for Victory” logo. It is on the back of a photograph.

  22. Douglas Aircraft Copyright Stamp
    Douglas Aircraft Company, Inc. photo copyright stamp with “First Around the World” logo. It is on the back of a photograph.

  23. Fire at Douglas Aircraft Company
    Photograph of a fire at the Douglas Aircraft Company taken on July 7, 1944 by an unnamed employee. The fire was in the administration building; just 100 yards from the assembly building T-6.

  24. George Boeckenhauer farmhouse and barn
    The Boeckenhauer farmhouse, barn and chicken coop located on Thacker Street, Des Plaines, IL. The house and barn were relocated to this location from what is now a part of O’Hare Airport, circa 1942.

  25. German POWs at Green Valley Farms, circa 1945-1946
    Unidentified German POWs from Camp Pine taking a break with farmers at Green Valley Farms, Des Plaines, Illinois. Camp Pine was a World War II POW camp located east of the Des Plaines River in what is now the Cook County Forest Preserve in Des Plaines, Illinois. Pictured left to right: two prisoners (background), Russell Mahler (kneeling in foreground), Fred Mahler (farm owner), prisoner (background), August Sell (arm raised), three prisoners (background), prisoner (foreground).

  26. German POWs from Camp Pine, circa 1945-1946
    Two POWs from Camp Pine posing with Mount Prospect farmer Eugene Carl. Pictured left to right: Prisoner of War Rudolf Velte,Mount Prospect farmer Eugene Carl (center, kneeling with Rex, the dog) and unidentified POW. Mr. Carl operated a sugar beet farm where Camp Pine inmates worked. Rudolf Velte was a German POW at Camp Pine in Des Plaines from 1945-1946.

  27. House in Des Plaines, 1923
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  28. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  29. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  30. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  31. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  32. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  33. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  34. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  35. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  36. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  37. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  38. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  39. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  40. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  41. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  42. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  43. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  44. House in Des Plaines, circa 1920s
    W. L. Plew & Company established an office in Des Plaines, Illinois on Lee Street in 1922. The company built and remodeled houses, managed properties, handled mortgages, and sold insurance. Many of the houses built by the company were in an area of Des Plaines known as Des Plaines Gardens. One house was built in Maywood.

  45. Immanuel Lutheran School, circa 1920
    Immanuel Lutheran School began in a former church building on Lee Street. In 1901, a new school building was constructed for the students, but it was destroyed by fire on February 4, 1918, which led to the construction of this building. A gymnasium addition was constructed in 1930.

  46. Maine Township High School, circa 1920
    In 1902, the first Maine Township High School building opened its doors to students on Thacker Street in Des Plaines. However, the populations of Des Plaines and Park Ridge grew, so a new high school was built at Dempster Avenue and Potter Road in Park Ridge and opened in 1931. The vacated building became the home of Des Plaines Junior High School and later, by 1954, Thacker Junior High School. The Junior High closed in 1967 as newer, more modern school buildings were built. The old high school building was demolished in 1961 and is now the site of a park

  47. North Division School, circa 1875-1894
    North Division School, Des Plaines' first brick school building, was constructed in 1874. The school was located on River Road (Des Plaines Avenue) north of the Pearson Street intersection. An addition was built in 1894, doubling the size of the school. The building closed in 1952 when the new North School opened. The old building was demolished in 1957.

  48. Postcard of Jefferson Township High School, circa 1910
    Jefferson High School was the first township high school in Illinois. The building was constructed in 1883 in Jefferson Park, near Wilson and Knox (Chicago). Before the construction of Maine Township High School in 1902, students from Des Plaines who wanted to continue their education past the eighth grade attended Jefferson High School and reached the school by train.

  49. Riverview School, circa 1915
    Riverview School opened in a two-room frame building in the Village of Riverview in 1893, during a time when the Village was under development as an industrial town. Several factories began operating there before succumbing to a series of fires and closures. Over time, Riverview lost most of its industry, and in 1925 Des Plaines annexed Riverview, providing access to municipal services. This building was replaced by a new brick school in 1938. In 1945, the old Riverview School became the new South School.

  50. Rudolf Velte, German POW, circa 1945-1946
    Portrait of Rudolf Velte, a German POW at Camp Pine from 1945-1946. Camp Pine was a World War II POW camp located east of the Des Plaines River in what is now the Cook County Forest Preserve in Des Plaines, Illinois. Over 200 German soldiers captured in North Africa and Italy were interned at Camp Pine during the war until the camp was closed closed in 1946. Many inmates worked as farmhands on nearby farms and earned approximately 80 cents a day.

  Records 1 to 51 of 54   | Next records -->