HOME |   Help |    All collections |  ...by Institution | Contact Us |  About This Collection |    Rights |    From

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

 

Chicago Ridge Online History Collection

   
  Records 1 to 51 of 184   | Next records -->

  1. Abbie Short and Lettie Kennedy (Married name: Harnew) traveling by horse and buggy, 1910
    Abbie Short and Lettie Kennedy (Married name: Harnew) traveling by horse and buggy near 106th and Oxford Avenue. The horse, named Black Hawk, was owned by William Harnew of Oak Lawn, Ill.

  2. Abbie Short and Lettie Kennedy (Married name: Harnew), 1910
    Abbie Short and Lettie Kennedy (Married name: Harnew). Lettie Kennedy lived in a house near 106th and Oxford Avenue. Lettie's father Daniel and her brother James were active in the Chicago Ridge Fire Department. Anna, Lettie's mother was one of the first members of the Chicago Ridge Presbyterian Church.

  3. Alice and Louise M. Klee, circa 1920
    Alice and Louise M. Klee, daughters of Elizabeth and Ernest T. Klee, owners of the Klee general store in Chicago Ridge. Louise later married George Florian and became postmaster of Chicago Ridge in 1954.

  4. Anne Pote, 1973
    Anne Pote was the first administrative librarian of the Chicago Ridge Public Library. She held this postition from 1964-1981. Anne is standing in front of the Chicago Ridge village hall at 10655 South Oak Street. The library was located in the north part of the building from 1966-1979.

  5. Anne Pote, 1974
    Anne Pote, first administrative librarian of the Chicago Ridge Public Library from 1964-1981. She is standing inside the library at 10655 South Oak Street.

  6. Arthur Cooper, village president, circa 1957
    Arthur Cooper was elected village president in 1957 and served until 1964. He was born to Minnie Ehmckie Cooper and Anthony Cooper in 1912? and was raised at 10636 South Oxford Avenue. His maternal grandmother was Frederika Polchow Schroeder, sister of the village's first president, Charles Polchow. Arthur Cooper attended school in a one-room schoolhouse at 106th Street and South Ridgeland Avenue. His first job was with Ebert Industries, a printing firm in Broadview, Ill. He married Ida Bizzotto in 1939 and lived at 10640 South Oxford Avenue.

  7. Arthur W. Meyer, village president, circa 1925
    Arthur W. Meyer was village president of Chicago Ridge, Ill. from 1925-1926. His father was John Henry Meyer who operated the Chicago Ridge Inn and Hotel, that included a tavern, next to the railroad tracks at 103rd and South Ridgeland Avenue.

  8. Aulwurm home (former home of Aulwurm family), 1986
    Front porch of the restored Aulwurm house at 11014 South Moody Avenue. Aulwurm family lived here in the 1880s.

  9. Aulwurm home (former home of Aulwurm family), 1986
    Back of the restored Aulwurm house at 11014 South Moody Avenue. Aulwurm family lived here in the 1880s.

  10. Aulwurm home (former home of Aulwurm family), 1986
    Front of the restored Aulwurm house at 11014 South Moody Avenue. Aulwurm family lived here in the 1880s.

  11. Aulwurm home, circa 1880
    Aulwurm house in the 1880s. In the foreground left to right are Aulwurm family members: Arthur, Ernest, Henry (father), Herman, Jessie, and Louis. On the porch is Bertha, Lucy, Bertha (mother). Located at 11014 South Moody Avenue.

  12. Baseball team, circa 1930
    Baseball team at Polchow's Grove at 107th and South Ridgeland Avenue. In the rear row, from left: Herb Polchow, Art Cooper, Wally Polchow, Art Ruceis, Ed Walsh, L. Cridge, Elmer Braasch, Edwin Braasch (?), Eddie Cridge, John Bizzoto and Wally Cridge. The batboy is identified as a member of the Polchow family. Standing at right are John Walsh, Bill Duckwitz and Bruno Duckwitz.

  13. Bicentennial booklet, village of Chicago Ridge, 1976
    Booklet created by the Village of Chicago Ridge in 1979 commemorating the Bicentennial, 1776-1976. Contains the 1976 village officials, a Bicentennial memoir titled "In the Olden Days--An Outline History of Chicago Ridge, Ill." by Anne Pote, and a Bicentennial recipe.

  14. Bicentennial stickers, Chicago Ridge Bicentennial Committee, 1976
    Bicentennial stickers created by the Chicago Ridge Bicentennial Committee.

  15. Boy scouts lead fire prevention week parade, 1954
    Boy Scouts lead Chicago Ridge fire prevention week parade.

  16. Boy scouts, 1954
    Boy Scout Troop.

  17. Bruno Duckwitz, village president, circa 1942
    Bruno Duckwitz was village president of Chicago Ridge, Ill. from 1937-1942. He enlisted in the Armed Forces in 1942.

  18. Charles Polchow, village president, circa 1914
    Charles Polchow served as the first president of Chicago Ridge when it organized as a village in 1914. He emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1897. Charles and his wife the former Luzina Zippel, arrived March 10, 1897 to Chicago Ridge, Ill. Their first home was a farmhouse at 107th near Oak Park Avenue, where their first four children were born. Later the family moved to another farmhouse at 105th and Central, where they had seven children. One of his sons, Herbert Polchow, became village president of Chicago Ridge in 1953. Farming was the Polchow family's first occupation, but in 1919 at 107th and South Ridgeland Avenue the family built Polchow's Grove and Tavern. Polchow's was one of three taverns, the others being John Henry Meyer's Chicago Ridge Hotel at 103rd and South Ridgeland Avenue and Liberty Hall. Charles Polchow died in 1951 at the age of 78.

  19. Chiappetti home, history, circa 1960
    History of the Chiappetti family's home at 10654 South Oxford Avenue. Chiappetti is misspelled as Chiapetti and Emelia is misspelled as Amelia.

  20. Chicago Ridge and Worth diamond jubilee parade certificate, 1989
    Certificate given to the Chicago Ridge Public Library for the library's participation in the Chicago Ridge and Worth Diamond Jubilee Parade on September 10, 1989.

  21. Chicago Ridge hotel and inn, circa 1910
    The Chicago Ridge Hotel and Inn, which included a tavern, was operated by John Henry Meyer at 103rd and South Ridgeland Avenue. It served as a headquarters for village policy-making and for small game hunting.

  22. Community club, history, circa 1975
    "All About the Community Club" noted rec'd from Mary Aldrich, December 29, 1975. The community club was formed in 1942. The club sent packages to boys in the service, held Easter egg hunts at 103rd and Ridgeland Avenue, started the Boy Scouts, and held picnics at Polchow's Grove to help the baseball team.

  23. Diploma, Common School, 1923
    Common School Diploma for Louise Marie Klee. Louise graduated from the one-room schoolhouse in Chicago Ridge, Ill. in June 1923.

  24. Ed Sprinkles bowling lanes, 1968
    Ed Sprinkles Bowling Lanes at 6312 West 111th Street. The bowling alley opened in 1953.

  25. Election flyer, Concerned Citizens Party, 1975
    Election flyer for Concerned Citizens Party.

  26. Elizabeth (nee Hankes) and Ernest T. Klee, wedding picture, 1907
    Wedding picture of Elizabeth Klee (nee Hankes) and Ernest T. Klee taken June 22, 1907. Elizabeth and Ernest opened a general store in Chicago Ridge, Ill. in 1907.

  27. Elizabeth Klee (nee Hankes) and Mary Maker (nee Hankes), circa 1950
    Sisters Elizabeth Klee (nee Hankes) and Mary Maker (nee Hankes). Elizabeth Klee and her husband Ernest T. Klee opened Klee General Store at 106th and South Ridgeland. Elizabeth became postmaster of Chicago Ridge in 1917. Mary Maker became the first woman trustee of Chicago Ridge in 1921.

  28. Ernest T. Klee and daughter Louise Klee outside of Piccadilly Gardens, 1931
    Ernest T. Klee and Louise Klee (daughter) outside of Piccadilly Gardens at 10537 South Ridgeland Avenue. Piccadilly Gardens was a dance hall operated by Ernest T. Klee and William N. Brandt. Ernest was born in Berlin, Germany in 1881 and came to the United States at the age of 22 and took residence in Chicago Ridge almost immediately. He was a Chicago Ridge police magistrate, village trustee, and owned the Klee General Store.

  29. Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex invitation, 2000
    Invitation for the Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex dedication on November 25, 2000. The municipal complex at 10455 S. Ridgeland Avenue houses the village administrative offices, police department, youth service bureau, senior citizen center and plays host to many community organizations. This 60,000 square foot facility was built at no cost to the taxpayers of Chicago Ridge. The village board named the new facility the Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex for Chicago Ridge village president, Eugene L. Siegel's quarter of a century (25 years) of dedication and leadership to the citizens of Chicago Ridge.

  30. Eugene L. Siegel, village president, circa 1975
    Eugene Siegel was elected as part-time village president of Chicago Ridge, Ill. in 1975 to fill an unexpired term. He was re-elected in 1977, 1981, 1985, and 1989. He was elected as a full-time Mayor in 1993 and was re-elected in 1997, 2001, and 2005. Eugene Siegel, the eldest of five children, was born to Stanley and Stella Szczygielski (Siegel). He attended St. Turibius grammar school, Gage Park High School, National College of Naprapathy, and numerous seminars through the Chicago Colleges and Loyola University. Eugene was appointed Deputy Coroner for Cook County Coroner’s Office (1963-1971), Assistant Chief - Cook County Sheriff’s Office (1971-1986) and Administrative Assistant - State Treasurer’s Office (1987-1993). The Chicago Ridge Village Board named the Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex at 10455 South Ridgeland Avenue for his quarter of a century (25 years) of service.

  31. Fire deparment employees in front of emergency shelter, 1958
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department employees in front of emergency shelter.

  32. Fire deparment rescue squad truck, 1958
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department Rescue Squad truck. Wording on the door reads "Chicago Ridge Rescue Squad Fire Prot. Dist."

  33. Fire department Chief Joseph Tarqueno, 1960
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment Chief Joseph Tarqueno, center.

  34. Fire department Chief Les Doty and boy scouts, 1954
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment Chief Les Doty and scouts.

  35. Fire department pancake festival, 1959
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department Pancake Festival.

  36. Fire department putting out a fire, 1959
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department putting out a fire.

  37. Fire department station no. 2, watercolor, circa 1996
    Watercolor of the Chicago Ridge Fire Department Station, No. 2, 10258 Southwest Highway, from a series of paintings by Chicago Ridge artist Evelyn Dekker depicting local historic buildings. The following description is from a pamphlet titled Chicago Ridge Public Library 1966-1996 Celebrating 30 Years of Service: "Pictured is Station No. 2, located on Southwest Highway, just past the bridge over the Belt Line railroad tracks. The original station, on 107th Street east of the Village Hall, is inadequate to house the equipment needed to fight fires in the higher-rise buildings now allowed in the Village. Fire Lt. Becker provided a walk-through, describing the fire and paramedic vehicles. Startling to learn was the extraordinary cost of replacing any of these vehicles, all of which have already given many years of service. The Fire Department participates in a coalition of departments of other nearby suburbs in assisting each other as needs arise." The watercolor was commissioned by the Chicago Ridge Public Library for its 30th anniversary celebration in 1996. Evelyn Dekker moved to Chicago Ridge in 1958. She graduated from the Chicago school system as an art major and had training at the Art Institute of Chicago and Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hills, Ill. The watercolor is located in the Chicago Ridge Public Library Local History Room in the lower level of the Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex at 10455 South Ridgeland Avenue.

  38. Fire department, 1960
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment employees.

  39. Fire department, 1962
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department in front of fire truck.

  40. Fire department, cornerstone ceremony, station no. 1, 1953
    Laying of the cornerstone ceremony at Chicago Ridge Fire District Building at 107th and Lombard Avenue.

  41. Fire department, station no. 1, 1954
    Chicago Ridge Fire Station No. 1 at 10658 South Lombard Avenue.

  42. Fire department, station no. 2, 1992
    Chicago Ridge Fire Station No. 2 at 10258 Southwest Highway.

  43. Fire department, station no. 2, 1992
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment Station No. 2 at 10258 Southwest Highway.

  44. Fire engine no. 94, 1992
    Chicago Ridge Fire Department Fire Engine No. 94 in front of Chicago Ridge Fire Station No. 2 at 10258 Southwest Highway.

  45. Fire engines and fire department vehicles in front of fire department, station no. 1, 1960
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment engines and department vehicles in front of Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment Building at 10658 South Lombard Avenue.

  46. Fire engines in front of fire department, station no. 1, 1959
    Chicago Ridge Fire Deparment engines in front of Chicago Ridge Fire Station No. 1 at 10568 South Lombard Avenue.

  47. Fire prevention week parade, 1954
    Chicago Ridge fire prevention week parade.

  48. Fire prevention week parade, 1954
    Chicago Ridge fire prevention week parade.

  49. Fire prevention week scrapbook page, fire district history, 1954
    Page from a 1954 Fire Prevention Week scrapbook created by the Chicago Ridge Fire District. Details the early history of the Fire District.

  50. First Presbyterian Church, watercolor, circa 1996
    Watercolor of the First Presbyterian Church, 105th and Oxford Avenue, built in 1927, from a series of paintings by Chicago Ridge artist Evelyn Dekker depicting local historic buildings. The following description is from a pamphlet titled Chicago Ridge Public Library 1966-1996 Celebrating 30 Years of Service: "Following abandonment as a church, the building was once considered as a location for the growing Chicago Ridge Public Library but it was determined not to be a dependable structure. The library then moved from its small quarters in the Village Hall to a cleverly redesigned industrial building at its current location on Birmingham Avenue. The vacant church building was--finally destroyed in a controlled-burn exercise for the then-volunteer fire department." The watercolor was commissioned by the Chicago Ridge Public Library for its 30th anniversary celebration in 1996. Evelyn Dekker moved to Chicago Ridge in 1958. She graduated from the Chicago school system as an art major and had training at the Art Institute of Chicago and Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hills, Ill. The watercolor is located in the Chicago Ridge Public Library Local History Room in the lower level of the Eugene L. Siegel Municipal Complex at 10455 South Ridgeland Avenue.

  Records 1 to 51 of 184   | Next records -->