Home | About | Help |  All collections | ...by Institution | Contact Us

A service of the Illinois State Library and the Office of the Illinois Secretary of StateILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

Institutional History

Blessing Health Professions -First 25 Years of History browse-->>

Blessing Health Professions Library at Blessing Health System in Quincy has a unique collection of 19th century primary records of the founding of the Adams County Medical Society, Blessing Hospital and Blessing Training School for Nurses, among other institutions. The dates chosen for this collection are primarily post Civil War to 1900. These dates cover the beginning of the hospital, the nursing school, the medical board, and the veteran’s home (then known as Illinois Soldier’s and Sailor’s Home) .

Digitization of this collection was developed pursuant to a grant awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State using state grant funds.

Elgin Community College History browse-->>

The institutional history of Elgin Community College.

Elisha Gray Reception and Banquet browse-->>

Elisha Gray was a resident of Highland Park, Illinois from 1871 until his death in 1901. An electrical engineer and inventor, Gray received more than 70 patents. He co-founded the Western Electric Company in 1872. Gray gave a public demonstration of the telephone at the Presbyterian Church in Highland Park in December 1874. On November 15, 1878, a banquet was held in Highland Park to honor Professor Gray, who many believed was the true inventor of the telephone. The Committee of Arrangements prepared a transcript of congratulatory remarks delivered at the event. The collection includes photographs of Professor Gray and his wife, and the Gray Electric Building, constructed in Highland Park in 1892.

Fenton High School browse-->>

The Fenton High School Collection features photographs of student life, faculty and facilities at Fenton High School District 100 dating from when the school opened in September 1955. For more information see www.fenton100.org.

Fountaindale Public Library Minutes browse-->>

Minutes of the Fountaindale Public Library, various dates, from the 1970s and 1980s.

Gail Borden Public Library History browse-->>

Collection of photographs of the Gail Borden Public Library from its location on Spring Street to its building at 270 N. Grove Avenue.

Gil Renner Collection: Insight into the Genesis of the Illinois Community College System browse-->>

Elgin Community College was founded in 1949 as part of Elgin Public Schools, sixteen years prior to legislation which created the Illinois Community College system. Gilbert I. Renner took leadership of ECC in 1950, serving as Dean and first President of the college. He was an early student of the community college movement and actively involved in creating the Illinois system. Renner maintained a personal collection of correspondence and other documents which reflect the deliberations and creativity that contributed to this formative period in the development of this highly-regarded system. His son, Richard Renner, a consultant to the grant, has agreed to provide access to this collection. Through digitizing, creating metadata, and uploading these documents, ECC archives staff will provide a valuable primary resource to those who are conducting research on higher education in Illinois. Also we are going to scan the old official minutes of district 509 that are not born digitally. Funding awarded by the Illinois State Library Digital Imaging Grant 2018.

Funding awarded by the Illinois State Library Digital Imaging Grant 2018.

Graham School of Nursing browse-->>

The celebration of the Graham Hospital School of Nursing’s 100th anniversary provided the impetus to begin a two-fold project documenting the history of the School through words and images. Images from the Past includes a digital collection of photographs and scanned documents found in the School Library’s historical collection. Voices from the Past includes the transcripts, cover sheets and audio clips resulting from more than eighty oral history interviews with graduates of the Graham three year diploma RN program located in Canton, IL. Both of these labors of love were made available through funding from the Illinois State Library and also the Greater Midwest Region of the National Library of Medicine. The results of these ongoing projects can be found here in the Illinois Digital Archive.

Illinois Libraries browse-->>

ILLINOIS LIBRARIES was the official journal of the Illinois State Library. The purpose of ILLINOIS LIBRARIES was to disseminate articles of general interest to library staff and library governing officials in Illinois who represent all types of libraries and library consortia. The publication began in 1919. The years 1995 to 2000 can be found at Illinois Periodicals Online - http://www.lib.niu.edu/illistyrs.html

Various years from 2001- to the end of publication in 2007 can be found at EDI http://iledi.org/ppa/meta/html/00/00/00/00/01/78.html

Joliet Public Library Firebombing browse-->>

On April 19, 1989, the Joliet Public Library was firebombed, destroying the non-fiction section of the children's area, closing the entire library for 9 days, and closing the children's section for several months.

These are images from the immediate aftermath.

Kewanee and Wethersfield Yearbooks browse-->>

Kewanee Public Library District was awarded an LSTA FY09 Digital Imaging grant. Thanks to this funding the library was able to digitize 162 volumes of both Kewanee and Wethersfield high schools entire collections of yearbooks dated from 1904 up to 2008. Due to grant restrictions each year after 2002 will be uploaded and added one at a time. The "PictureIt! Global Gallery" digital imaging grant has created worldwide access to a collection that was once available only to library visitors.

Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall Archives browse-->>

Lake Forest Academy (LFA) was established in 1857 as the boys’ preparatory department of Lind University (later renamed Lake Forest University). The girls’ preparatory department was added in 1869; it was called the “Young Ladies’ Seminary at Ferry Hall” until 1887 when it became known simply as Ferry Hall. In 1925 both LFA and Ferry Hall legally separated from Lake Forest College, becoming independent secondary educational institutions. In 1974, LFA and Ferry Hall merged into one coeducational independent school called Lake Forest Academy- Ferry Hall. In 1988, the school dropped the name “Ferry Hall” and continued as Lake Forest Academy.

LFA was originally located on the campus of Lake Forest College, but in 1946 a fire destroyed the main Academy building. The school purchased the former Lake Forest estate of J. Ogden Armour, and converted it into a school campus. The school continues to use this campus today.

The Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall Archives Collection consists of historical images dating back to the 19th century, documenting school life, academics, athletics, campus buildings, and significant persons and events in the school’s history. The images are digitized from a wide variety of materials: administrative records; school catalogs and publications; photographs; yearbooks; diaries; scrapbooks; and school newspapers. For further information about the collection, please contact the archivist at Lake Forest Academy.

Lake Forest Library Archives browse-->>

Selected Lake Forest places of architectural significance are represented in this collection of photos, postcards, articles, and reports.

Lombard College Collection  browse-->>

Founded in 1853 in Galesburg, Illinois, Lombard College was a progressive coeducational Universalist college and was one of three colleges in the state of Illinois to be granted an Illinois Charter. The Lombard College Collection consists primarily of institutional records and student ephemera from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

Mount Prospect Library History browse-->>

The Mount Prospect Public Library collection includes documents, photographs, and ephemera related to the history and development of the Mount Prospect Public Library from the 1930s to the present. Among these are photographs of each the building the Library has used and the contents of the cornerstone from the first permanent library home built in 1950. Most of the materials are from the archives and local history files of the Mount Prospect Public Library.

Niles Public Library Archives browse-->>

Images from the development of the Niles Public Library

Northbrook Area History browse-->>

The Northbrook Area History collection features photographs from Northbrook School District 28. The collection's photographs date back to the early 1930's and span the District's history of over 100 years. The photographs include students and faculty from the now-closed Crestwood and Oaklane Schools. Also featured are many photographs from the District's four current schools - Northbrook Junior High School, Greenbriar School, Meadowbrook School, and Westmoor School. The scenes show the District's evolution, including the adoption of new teaching styles, curriculum, and technology. For more information about Northbrook School District 28, please see: www.northbrook28.net

People’s Church Audio Recordings Collection browse-->>

Dr. Preston Bradley (1888-1983) was a radio personality and Unitarian minister. A major influence on Chicago’s cultural and political life, he was a member of the Chicago Public Library Board and served on both the Chicago Council against Racial Discrimination and the Mayor's Committee on Race Relations. The People’s Church Audio Recordings Collection consists of sermons and speeches given by Preston Bradley and other civic and religious leaders at People’s Church between 1939 and 1985.

Pumpkins, Parades and Pies- Eureka's Pumpkin Festival Past, 1939 - 1961 browse-->>

The Eureka Pumpkin Festival, which was held in Eureka between 1939 and 1961, was a community event to support local businesses, promote tourism, and honor Eureka's Libby, McNeil, and Libby canning factory. The festival was immensely popular and regularly averaged at least 50,000 attendees from all over Illinois and the Midwest. In 1947 film star and Eureka College alumnus Ronald Reagan and Illinois Governor Dwight Green attended, drawing national attention and record crowds. This digital collection features photographs, memorabilia and other items pertaining to the festival from various public and private collections.

Digitization of this collection was developed pursuant to a grant awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State using state grant funds.

Register of Illinois Prisons browse-->>

Registers of Prisoners for Alton, Joliet and Menard State Prisons 1833-1908

This database provides an index for the Registers of Prisoners received at the Illinois State Penitentiary at Alton Prison (1833-1841; 1847-1858), the Illinois State Penitentiary at Joliet (ca. 1858-1901) and Southern Illinois penitentiary at Chester (Menard) (ca. 1865-1908). A complete history of Illinois prisons is accessible here (http://archon.ilsos.net/?p=creators/creator&id=36). Registers provide information about the prisoner, including personal history and family history.

Digitization of this collection was developed pursuant to a grant awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State using state grant funds.

For more information, see Department of Corrections - RG 243 | Illinois State Archives.

Ridgewood High School browse-->>

The communities of Norridge and Harwood Heights are entirely landlocked by the City of Chicago, which annexed the surrounding land to build O'Hare Airport. Both communities were founded in 1948. In 1959, the two communities elected to build a high school to provide secondary education to their ever-increasing populations.

In bedroom communities like Norridge and Harwood Heights, still welcoming new immigrants to the U.S., there is no town square and not much of a shared history or experience with other residents; however, Ridgewood High School is the one experience that everyone shares. It is a life-long experience. Residents come there as young students; return as parents for their children; use the gym or auditorium facilities; and learn as adult learners in its extension classes. In this very real sense, Ridgewood High School is the community.

The first superintendent of Ridgewood, Eugene R. Howard, was a great proponent of the educational theories of Dr. J. Lloyd Trump. Dr. Trump's teaching methods of secondary school education were revolutionary for their time. Students attended classes ranging in length from 20 to 80 minutes. One third of the instruction was done in large lecture halls of 60-160 students, making extensive use of educational TV and films. One third was then done in small discussion seminar groups of 10-20 students, led by students and guided by teachers' aides. The final third of the students' time was intended to be devoted to individual study.

Ridgewood High School was designed with the Trump System in mind. The building was wired for cable television and initially laid out with the required lecture halls and seminar spaces. The school became famous for these educational innovations, with articles appearing in 1968 in Time Magazine and Ladies Home Journal proclaiming the school was one of "America’s Top Ten High Schools".

Rockford College browse-->>

Historical images from Rockford College.

Rockford College Collection browse-->>

Historical images from Rockford College.

Digitization of this collection was developed pursuant to a Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant awarded by the Illinois State Library, an Office of the Secretary of State using funds provided by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act .

Social Justice and Activism at Elmhurst College browse-->>

Since its founding in 1871, Elmhurst College has been a community where spiritual life, humane values, mutual respect, service to others, and responsible citizenship are practiced. Throughout its history, these values have led the College and its students to participate in the social activism of twentieth century America. Particularly since the 1920's, discussion and debate in the college newspaper, speakers brought to campus to discuss important current issues, and student activism both on and off campus have characterized the College's engagement in social issues. Events at Elmhurst College have reflected on a smaller scale the national scene, and thus provide an interesting context for studying the social movements of twentieth century America.

The collection includes photographs, excerpts from the college newspaper, and other supporting papers from the Elmhurst College archives. The largest part of the collection focuses on the social movements of the 1960's - civil rights, student activism, Vietnam War - but materials from other eras, including the 1920's and World War II are included.

Springfield Aviation Company Collection browse-->>

The Springfield Aviation Company Collection, 1927-1955, was donated to the Sangamon Valley Collection at Lincoln Library in May 1995 by Craig Isbell, former co-manager of the company. Isbell formed a partnership with Gelder Lockwood in the late 1920s and operated this company at Springfield's Southwest Airport. This airport was first called Commercial Airport and later Municipal Airport. It continued as a private airfield after the opening of Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport in 1947. The collection is comprised of several hundred photographs, publications and newspaper clippings related to the company and aviation in Springfield.

These digital images, made available by the Sangamon Valley Collection at the Lincoln Library (Springfield), are of photographs from this collection.

St. John's College Department of Nursing History browse-->>

This collection of images represents a portion of the rich history of St. John’s College in Springfield, Illinois. The images cover the time from the School’s inception in 1886 as St. John’s Hospital Training School to the demolition of the old School of Nursing building in 1990. Father Louis Hinssen and the Hospital Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis started the School on October 4, 1886 (Feast of St. Francis). It was the first Catholic hospital school of nursing, and in the beginning was a one-year program exclusively for the Hospital Sisters. In 1912, the first lay women were admitted. The first men were admitted in 1955. The School of Nursing officially became St. John’s College, Department of Nursing, in 1991.

Story of the Illinois State Museum browse-->>

Since its creation in 1877, the Illinois State Museum has been the steward of the Illinois Legacy Collection. What started as geological specimens stored in various nooks and crannies of the capitol building became a collection containing millions of objects documenting the natural, anthropological, and artistic history of Illinois and its people.

The Story of the Illinois State Museum collection contains photographs, publications, and ephemera that document the rich history of the Museum since 1877.

Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science browse-->>

Transactions, the referred scientific journal of the Illinois State Academy of Science, has been published continually since its inaugural 1908 issue.

Urban Landscapes from the Field Museum browse-->>

In October 2006, the Field Museum Library's Photo Archives began a project that was funded by the Library Services Technology Act through the Honorable Jesse White, Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian. The purpose of the project was to use digital technology to create replacement-quality, high-resolution replicas of a collection of approximately 800 original glass negatives.

The images produced for this project range from 1894 to 1925 and show Chicago and outlying areas' flora, fauna, parks, and neighborhoods. They also document architectural changes to the Field Columbian Museum in Jackson Park and The Field Museum in its present location in Grant Park.

Warbler Digitization Project -- Eastern Illinois University browse-->>

The Warbler, Eastern Illinois University's student yearbook, provides a fascinating insight over the years into Eastern's history, from the perspective of its students. Published yearly since 1919, the Warbler captures information and photographs of students and faculty, chronicles important cultural and sporting events, describes organizational activities, and depicts changes in the campus layout and physical plant. Taken together, the Warblers document in a very vivid way, the story of Eastern Illinois University as it evolved from a small normal school to the comprehensive university that it is today.