SOP Sample Handling,
Packing and Shipping
Revision Date: October 1, 2002
8. Place the chain-of-custody forms (see attachment) in a large Ziploc® type bag and tape the
forms to the inside of the cooler lid.
9. Close the cooler lid and fasten with packaging tape.
10. Wrap strapping or packaging tape around both ends of the cooler at least twice.
11. Mark the cooler on the outside with the following information: return address, "Fragile"
labels (see attachment) on the top and on one side, and arrows indicating "This Side Up" (see
attachment) on two adjacent sides.
12. Place custody seal evidence tape (see attachment) over front right and back left of the cooler
lid and cover with clear plastic tape.
1. Environmental samples will be shipped according to 40 CFR 761.65 (i)(3) and in accordance
with current and applicable D.O.T. standards.
2. All samples will be delivered by an express carrier, allowing for sufficient time for analysis to
be performed within the applicable holding time periods.
3. The following chain-of-custody procedures will apply to sample shipping:
♦ Relinquish the sample containers to the laboratory via express carrier. The signed and
dated forms should be taped inside the top of the cooler. The express carrier will not be
required to sign the chain-of-custody forms.
♦ When the samples are received by the laboratory, the laboratory personnel shall complete
the chain-of-custody forms by signing and dating to acknowledge receipt of samples.
The internal temperature of the shipping container is measured and recorded. The sample
identification numbers on the containers are then checked to ensure that they are
consistent with the chain of custody forms
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.