Title 56 IDES RULES Part 2865
Example: The Director shall not approve classes designed solely to provide an individual with a high
school equivalency diploma since this would not enhance opportunities in a specific occupation.
However, the Director shall approve courses of study that include some purely academic courses if that
course work is secondary to the vocational aspects.
B) The course must be designed to facilitate the individual's reemployment in a reasonably expeditious
manner; however, the Director shall not approve courses of study of more than one year in duration unless
the course is approved under 56 Ill. Adm. Code 2620; and
C) The course must focus on providing the individual with the competency necessary for securing entry level
employment in the selected occupation; and
Example: The Director shall not approve training for the purpose of allowing an individual to improve
his marketability, i.e., a bookkeeper who wishes to become an accountant. If there exists a reasonable
job market for bookkeepers in the individual's locality, the Director will not approve training that
enhances the claimant's already marketable skills.
D) The course must consist of at least 12 hours per week of instruction from a competent and reliable training
agent. This minimum of 12 hours of instruction must include contact between the student and the
instructor. The contact could result from classroom training, laboratory instruction or tutoring.
2) The training course must be offered by a competent and reliable agency, educational institution or employing
3) Work opportunities for which the individual is qualified by training and experience are limited or do not exist in
the individual's locality.
Example: If the individual is a trained and certified nurse's aide, the Director shall not approve training to
become a registered nurse if reasonable openings exist in the individual's locality for nurse's aides, even if
the individual is dissatisfied with her present occupation.
4) The individual has the qualifications and aptitude to complete the course successfully.
5) The enrollee is not a recipient nor eligible for subsistence payments or similar assistance under any public or
private retraining program.
b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a training course is approved for an individual by the Director for the purposes of
Section 500(C) of the Act if:
1) both the training course and the individual's participation in the training course are approved under Title I of the
federal Workforce Investment Act (29 USC 2801-12945)by a One Stop Delivery System (see 20 CFR 662.100);
2) the course is part of a program authorized pursuant to the Workforce Investment Act or other federal legislation
establishing an employment and training program; and
3) the criteria on the basis of which a One Stop Delivery System approves the course under Title I of the
Workforce Investment Act include criteria consistent with Section 500(C)(5)(a)(2) and (3) of the Act; and
4) the criteria on the basis of which a One Stop Delivery System approves an individual's participation under Title
I of the Workforce Investment Act in the course include criteria consistent with Section 500(C)(5)(a)(1) and (2)
of the Act; and
5) the course is not disapproved by reason of Section 500(C)(5)(a)(5) of the Act.
(Source: Amended at 29 Ill. Reg. 1927, effective January 24, 2005)
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.