Illinois Department of Employment Security – Emergency Handbook
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES FOR BANNING CLIENTS AND VISITORS
The following section outlines the steps that must be followed to expel and/or ban a person from an IDES facility:
1. If a person causes harm or an imminent risk of harm, notify law enforcement authorities to have the person
2. If the person is disruptive but not causing harm or an imminent risk of harm, notify the person that he or
she must leave the IDES facility, and that if he or she does not leave, he or she will be arrested for criminal
trespass to State supported land.
3. If a person who has been told to leave a facility refuses to leave, notify law enforcement authorities to have
the person arrested.
4. A person may be banned from an IDES facility if his or her conduct or presence in the facility disrupts the
ability of IDES clients to receive effective services and/or IDES staff to perform the duties of their jobs. All
decisions to ban a person shall be coordinated by the IDES Workplace Safety Coordinator. Any person to
be banned from a facility must be notified that he or she is banned and may not enter the facility. The
person should be notified orally, if possible, and by letter if the person’s address is known. If neither of
these forms of notice is feasible, the person may be notified by posting a notice forbidding his or her entry
at the main entrance to the facility. All letters and notices informing a person that he or she is banned from
an IDES facility or facilities shall be prepared by the IDES Workplace Safety Coordinator.
5. When a person’s behavior is sufficiently threatening, violent, or disruptive, he or she may be banned from
other, or all, IDES facilities. Depending on the circumstances of the person’s behavior, the duration of a
ban may be for a fixed period of time or until further notice from IDES. The scope and duration of the ban
shall be determined by the IDES Workplace Safety Coordinator in consultation with legal counsel and
IDES management. A person who has been banned from all IDES facilities shall receive necessary IDES
services as coordinated by the IDES Workplace Safety Manager.
6. If a person who has been banned from a facility attempts to enter the facility, notify law enforcement
authorities to have the person arrested.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.