• Diversity in society, in the workplace, and hence in the classroom is increasingly important.
paration for college success and higher
ducation institutions need a sharper focus on student success, rather than access. Moreover,
college prep core curriculum, financial aid programs should better support working adults,
and diversity should be recognized as an educational value beneficial to all students, to
stitutions, to business and industry, and to the civic and economic well-being of the state.
• tudents to take a rigorous college-prep
curriculum. That legislation, introduced in the spring session of the General
• Funding for “Last Year/First Year” programs to make the senior year of high
ore successful to reduce attrition rates.
and universities, programs, degrees, and services.
s at all levels.
disadvantaged elementary and high school students to prepare for college.
• Traditional approaches to access to college and diversity on campus are outdated. The report concluded that in a world in which most students go to college, high school graduates need an academically stronger pre
tive college students need information about programs, services, and institutions that is accurate, comprehensive, useful, and convenient. Also, in a world in which jobs require increasingly complex skills and knowledge and the workforce is increasingly diverse, the report noted that all students should complete
report recommended: Legislation requiring all high school s
Assembly, did not come before legislators for a vote in a year when most attention was focused on budget issues.
school more productive in preparing students for college and the freshman year of college m
• An annual Readiness Report detailing the readiness of high school graduates for college.
• A Consumer Information Report on the web to supply up-to-date, trustworthy information on colleges
• Promoting community colleges as the focal point for information about degree program
• Using the Illinois Century Network and community colleges to close the digital divide.
• Creating a grant program to build partnerships with private sponsors to en
Expanding financial aid for working adults and needy freshman students.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.