Collection provided by: Thomas Ford Memorial Library and Western Springs Historical Society
Remembering the Houses of Western Springs is a collection of photographs of 19th century houses, with dates and some background information on each house. The Western Springs Historical Society took the photographs in 1977, and Thomas Ford Memorial Library in Western Springs digitized them in 2005.
Western Springs is a suburb of Chicago located on the western edge of Cook County. The community was first settled in 1870s, and the village was incorporated in 1886. Being located along the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad, the village became an affordable location for the homes of Chicago-bound commuters. The village was in many ways typical of Chicago suburbs that developed in the late 19th and early 20th century. Remarkably, many houses built in that era survive.
The photographs may also be found in the book Western Springs: 19th Century Houses and Their Owners, 1978.
For more information about this project visit this link at the Western Springs History site.