Collection provided by: Lake Forest Academy
Lake Forest Academy (LFA) was established in 1857 as the boys’ preparatory department of Lind University (later renamed Lake Forest University). The girls’ preparatory department was added in 1869; it was called the “Young Ladies’ Seminary at Ferry Hall” until 1887 when it became known simply as Ferry Hall. In 1925 both LFA and Ferry Hall legally separated from Lake Forest College, becoming independent secondary educational institutions. In 1974, LFA and Ferry Hall merged into one coeducational independent school called Lake Forest Academy- Ferry Hall. In 1988, the school dropped the name “Ferry Hall” and continued as Lake Forest Academy.
LFA was originally located on the campus of Lake Forest College, but in 1946 a fire destroyed the main Academy building. The school purchased the former Lake Forest estate of J. Ogden Armour, and converted it into a school campus. The school continues to use this campus today.
The Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall Archives Collection consists of historical images dating back to the 19th century, documenting school life, academics, athletics, campus buildings, and significant persons and events in the school’s history. The images are digitized from a wide variety of materials: administrative records; school catalogs and publications; photographs; yearbooks; diaries; scrapbooks; and school newspapers. For further information about the collection, please contact the archivist at Lake Forest Academy.