Devoted to a better understanding of living things and
the surroundings in which we live
The Illinois State Museum, founded on May 25, 1877, was first housed on
the third floor, west wing, of the State House (left). Now, after more than
ten moves, it is permanently located in its own building (right).
(Photo by Charles Hodge)
The ownership of the content and images presented here is retained by the Illinois State Museum. Permission is granted for the use of these materials in non-profit, educational presentations. Queries for commercial or other uses should be made to the ISM editorial office (EDITOR@MUSEUM.STATE.IL.US)