The Huntley Farmside
|Previous||1 of 8||Next|
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
Loading content ...
ja^J^^jf/uw^^js ^^HUNTLEY ^«*««8«rfe THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 19«4 VOLUME 5 — NUMBER 24 PHONE: S12-669-66'/Sl (any ttme) (U no answer) 816-459-0998 :'V'--':l iUN :.. -v 2 SECTIONS — MAILED AND DISTBIBITTED WEEKLT Ic PEK CUl't UNTED CHURCH OF CHRIST THEN &) NOW SchoolBoard There will be a double celebra¬ tion this week at Huntley's United Church of Christ. TM building was dedicated In 1864, we are celebrat¬ ing ItV 100 birthday. The Church was flrst organized pe 1852, and the congregation hel«L_^'celebration in 1952. la 1W7 an-WeHtl^fi con¬ sisting of iSuriday ^yhool class rooms, office, Pastor i dy. Kitchen and Social hall was built. This has now been payed for and the mort¬ gage will be burnt Saturday even¬ ing. Saturday evening service will be at 7:30 with Rev. Russel Kerr of the First Congregation Church of Elgin as guest speaker. The Elgin ohurch was instrumental in help¬ ing arganize the Huntley church. Rev. Kerr has prepared a very in¬ teresting history of the founding of the Huntley church. Immediately following the service in the 100 year old Church the con¬ gregation will retirt to the social hall. Here a gala celebration has been planned. The Sr. Ohoir, under the direction of Mrs. Nancy John¬ son and Mrs. Helen Marlowe or¬ ganist have arranged some appro- plate songs. it is rumored that the choir will bs in custume. The burning of the mortgage wHl be conducted by Hen¬ ry Oarlieb, chairman of the Board of Trustees, Harold Swanson, Treas¬ urer, and Elmer Urbach, chairman of tht Building Committee when the Social hoi I was built. A large birthday cake Is being made by Mrs. Irene Yurs. It's plan¬ ned to have the cake cut by the oldest member of the church pre¬ sent, assisted by other members of long standing. Mrs. Neva Van Ness and Lillian Hawley will be at the table to serve. The Celas under the direction of Mrs. Elmer Urbach are in charge of the refreshments for the Satur¬ day nighrt celebration. Their will be two services on Sunday the 20th. The regular wor¬ ehip service at 10:45 A.M., and a redidlcatlon and reoorksecrecration with Communion service Sunday evening at 7:30. Rev. Walter B4oe- •oh, moderator of the Northern Assiciation of the United Church of Christ, and Paatar of St. Pahls ohurch a*. Crystal Lake, wlll take part In the Sunday services. The Dr. William Reait, former pastor of iSt. Pauis Ohucr^h of ElgHn, and now Minister of the Illinois Con- ferenie of the United Chureh of OiNst wiil also be present. Dr. Qeorge Bulhal of Waterford Wiscon¬ sin will be guest soloist Sunday morning, and Mr. Leon Hicks will sina Sunday evening. This celebration has been under the direction of Herbert Eggers chairman. He has been assisted by Rev. Larry Perkins, Arthur Gar¬ lieb, Helm and Lucille Thurow, John Rugh, Harriet Urback, Wan- etU Kerrick, Bernice Bakley, Nevt Van Ness, Mr. and Mrs. Earl 8. Johnson, Lillian Hawley, and Hen; ry Marlowe. Invitations have been mailed to many of the former residents, mem¬ bers, and friends of the church. The business people in Huntley have received invitations. It is hop¬ ed that the entire community will Join in he joy of the church in celebrating its centational, and the burning of the mortgage on our new addition. UCC Church History Below is a Shirt history of the building of the United Church of Christ Congregational in Huntley Illinois which is celebrating its Church building centenial. 1853 — June 29th. A church Building Com¬ mittee appointed consisting of T. S. Huntley, Q. Smith, and James Winn«. Church voted to "build a meeting house thirty-six by fifty feet with a gallery across one end and a belfrey on it." Church cin- tinues to meet in the School (then at 39 N. Church St.) or the Baptits Church (then located at 22 N. Woodstock St.) 1863 — July. The second church building committee was appointed consist¬ ing of James Winne, H. B. Williams, W. Whittmore, and W. Wells. Con¬ tract for construction of church according to 1853 pians let to Geo. Dorby for $620.00. Local materials were to be used In moat of the str¬ ucture, iin<:ludlng hand-hewn 8" X 8" sills cut fr-om tht Senn property at the corner of Grove and Mill Sts. 1864 — April 7th. A loan was negotiated for $600 from the Congregational Church Building Society of Boston, Massachusets and a 'non-interest bewing land mortage was given on the church building. 1864 — August 22nd. First meeting ana Ded¬ ication of the new church was held. 40 puevirs-were sold or rented to pay off the debt and the building was insured for $2000 at that time. THIS EVE.NT WE ARE NOW CEL¬ EBRATING. 1886 — About 21 years later Mr. T. S. Hunt¬ ley gave the ohurch his houss loc¬ ated at 19 N. Church St. for a par¬ sonage. This was used as such un¬ til 1960 when It became the resi- w^eSm^w.f^'XiaimmmMmmi dence of the Church's Sexton, Mr. Gilbert Tracy. 1887 — Mr. Huntley flanced and the young men of the community built the first addition to the church 23 years later. This part, call the Social Hall, was built on the back of the church and had the first church kitchen in a shed-type room off on the side of the hall. 1939 — 75 years after the original const¬ ruction the first remodeling was done. Mr. Frank Rubash was the contractor. The Social Hall and kitchen were improved and enlarged and a furnace put in the Social Hall. 1945 — The original sanctuary and social hall were replastered and new light fixtures installed. A change from coal to oil heat was made then. 1951 — December 2nd. In preparation for the centennial of the organizing of the church and establishment of the village of Huntley the church build ing was completely renovated. A new hot-water heating system re¬ placed the two stoves at the rear of he sanctuary and the "hot-air" furnace in the social hall. Naw pews replaced the "opera seats" in the sanctuary, a new floor, new carpets, new chancel furniture, and a center aisle (instead of two side alles) made the sanctuary quite different In Its Interior. Tha axtar- ior rei-nains the same as 100 years ago. 1952 — The flrst $250.00 of the 1864 grant mortgage was paid off. 1954 — A Building Committee was appoint¬ ed to construct an educational wing for the Church. This committee was C. Dopke. G. Simmons, and H. Eg¬ gers. 1956 — A second Educational Wing Build¬ ing Committee was appointed be¬ ing Elmer Urbach, Ira R«»rt. v"->-' Plane, Mrs. Norman Kalsow and Mrs. Fred Mausak. CONTINUED ON PAGE TIIREE PTA Meeting The 1964-65 season of the Parent Teachers Association was opened at a meeting in the School cafeteria on Wednesday evening, September 9, 1964 at 8:00 P.M. with President Rita Hennig presiding. President Hennig called the ceet- ing to order and the roll noted ap¬ proximately 90 members in attend¬ ance. The newly appointed officers: President: Dr. Garry Grau, Vice President; Mrs. Wayne Donahue, Secretary; Mrs.- Oavid Ru'dy, Treas. urer; Mr. Richard Johnson, were installed by President Hennig, af¬ ter which the newly a|]tpolnted President assumed his duties. President Grau gave a short sum¬ mary of his intentions for the cur¬ rent year, and all members agreed to give him their assistance. The program for the next year was discussed. Program Chairman, Mrs. Arthur Hensel, announced that October 14 wlll be the next CONTINUED ON PAGE THREE The regular meeting of the Board of education Dist. No. 158 was held on September 9, 1964 with all mem¬ bera present. The minutes were read by the Sscretary md approved as read. Mr. Marvin Birchfleld, represent¬ ing the Bonding Company of Bald- man and Main of Chicago, was pre¬ sent to discuss the future Bond issue election. Mr. Wayne Miller and Mr. Dave Rudy were present, representing the Planning Commission for the Village of Huntley. It v^s pointed out that a great deal of vyork has been done in regard to drawing of maps and compiling figures in re¬ gard to the growth of the village. Mr. Bradley Sr. and Mr. Bradley Jr. of the architect firm of Bradley and Bradley from Rockford vi^re present. Mr. Bradley Sr. has work¬ ed on our Safety Survey Report, which is required and recommen:!- ed by the Sitate of lllln«4«. Mr. ''. Bradley Sr. pointed out In a written report several different recommen¬ dations that should be corrected and the estimated cost. 'iji Mr. Bradley Jr. discussed the fut- )', ure plans and needs for an addition ! and improvement to our school sys- ij tem. The annual Budget was adopted knd approved by the Board of Ed¬ ucation. I The Levies fund, Gener ' TWWli—^' "— the Educational Building Fund, "d'snd IttTnota ^Municipal R«1iP|Mnt Fund were ¦ set and appro^^il by the Board of education. The revolving Fund for the sch¬ oool year of 1964 A 65 was set up [acccording to law and regulations. A discussion on on our I B M [system followed and a motion be¬ ing made to purchase a new master IBM Clock, plus two clocks to be used In the halls. A motion was made and approv¬ ed to the payment of Antlpation Warrants to the SUte Bank of Huntley in the amount of $50,000. plus interest. The gasoline bid was awarded to Standard Oil Co. of Huntley accord¬ ing to bids and contracts submitted. Mr. Kelly presented each Board member with a copy of the Audit Report of the sohool year ending June 30, 1964. The Audit wM done by C. J. Sohloaser and Comosny, CONTINUED ON PAGE THREE NOTICE The Uttle League Banquet will be held this Saturday Nnigh, September 19, at 7:30 P.M. at the Huntley Fire Station. School Ne-ws The Little"8" Conference has rais¬ ed prices on all athletic contests (football and basketball) for the 1964-65 school year. In order to offer our athletic foll¬ owers THHE SAME PRIOE at last year for HOME games ONLY we are making available this year High School and Adult Season tick¬ ets. Season tickets for home games may be purchased at Collins Phar¬ macy, Huntley School Office and at the admission gate on game Ight. Student and adult attending out of town games will be subject to the Season Ticket prices and alngie admission pricefi are Indicated In theFarmside under separate cap¬ tion. ' Mr. Thomas E. Kelly Chief Nelson Reports Huntley Police Chief Richard Richard Nelson reporU that all Hun- tley resldsnta and buainess men should be especially careful about cashing chtcks and warns that un¬ der no circumstances should a check be cashed unless the person or per¬ sons are known to you peraonally. Recently a large number of blank bank drafts were stolen from Chi¬ cago, Northwestern Railvmy at Earlville and they are being filled out and cashed by unauthorized persons throughout the entire area. Four appeared In Marengo, one In Huntley, countless numbers In Chi¬ cago, others in Kenosha, Oakoah and the Sheboygan area, aooordlng to the report received by Chief 'Nelson. Again, he w«rns "do not cash any oheoks for anyone whom ysu do not peraonally know.
|Title||The Huntley Farmside|
|Creator||The Huntley Farmside|
|Coverage||Huntley, Illinois, United States|
|Description||Weekly Newspaper from the Huntley Area Public Library Collection|
|Rights||This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S. Code).|
|Publisher||This Collection was digitized and loaded into CONTENTdm by OCLC Preservation Service Center (Bethlehem, PA) for the Huntley Area Public Library|
|Source||Reproduction of library's print newspaper archives|