Southern Illinois Record
|Previous||1 of 8||Next|
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
Loading content ...
fl 77?^ Most Satisfactorv Newspaper With the Largest Circulation in Clag Countg The Southern Illinois Record A Good Newapaper is a Power in the Home. School. State and Nation \ VOLUME V. FLORA, ILLINOIS. THURSDAY, JULY 19, 1917 NUMBER 43 FLORA GETS IT Ite Horticultural SodetT to Meet in This City.—Auguat i^,; and Sth the Datea Owing to the united and active ef¬ fort of the Clay County Fruit Growers' Assoclalloii llie annual sum¬ mer meeling of the Stale Horti¬ cultural Society has been secured for Clay County this year. The meetings will lie held al Flora on Tuestiay and Wednesday, August 7 and H. F. H. Simpson, secretary of the county association, informs the Record that at least one hundred prominent horticulturists from Illi¬ nois und otlier stales will attend this meeting. A complete program will be announced soon. Tills meeting will be of much inter¬ est and Importance to the fruit growers of tills and adjoinlngcounlles, and no doubt will be largely attended by local growers. The County Association Is already preparing to enlist the co-operation of our Commercial club. Woman's club, and the citizens of the entire county In welcoming the visitors and extending aid to the end that the meeting may be made a great success. A Near Drownint One of Flora's best known citizens narrowly escaped drowning In Rose Lake, near luka, a few days ago. A young lady bravely swam to his rescue, tho, and in tlie nick of time pulled him to safety. Names are omitted by request, but tiie young lady should have a Carnegie medal, anyhow. Union Sunday School Picnic The Christian, Methodist, Baptist, I'resbyterian and United Brethren Churches of Fiora, wili hold a joint Sunday School picoic, Wednesday, August 1st. Committees have been named from the various cliurches to make all ar¬ rangements for a glorious day. Memliers of all committees are re¬ quested to meet at the Presbyterian Churcii, Friday night, July 20th, of this week. A Visit to Lincoln's Grave A. C. Porter and wife altended the funeral of a relative in Oskaloosa, Thursday. Men have made pilgrimages to lial- lowed spots in all ages but'none are more wortliy of sucli homage tlian Lincoln's tomb. Old Sol wa.s breaking through the misty cloud rack when the trolley oar deposited its cargo of liuman freight at the entrance lo beautiful Oak Ridge. The time was seven o'clock in tiie morning. Ancl who sliall describe the lieauty of Oak Ridge or convey an Idea of ils magnificence to the mind of he who has never seen it in the summer llraeV Lofty slopes covered with liv¬ ing green, a soft, rich carpel of grass, above which tower giant forest trees, oaks, maples and ash; wooded delis and open spaces tlirough whicii the sun pours down liis fiery beams; plasliy rills fed by gurgling springs; and splendid mausoleums In which repose the asiies of Springfield's dead alongside humble graves, alike sheltered by tlie friendly forest bouglis. Througli the Iron gate we pass and after a few minute.swalk sland before the tomb of "Honest Abe." Tbe toilsome ascent is made and we aoon stand with bowed hearts before the grating and peer In at the sarcophagus under which rests the body of the Emancipator. The body of Abraham Lincoln was deposited In the receiving vault st Oak Ridge Cemetery May 4, 18i)5. Upon tlie eleventh of May the National Lincoln Monument Asso¬ ciation was formed, Its object b^ing to construct a monument to the memory of Abraham Lincoln in the city of Sprlngfleld, Illinois. Tlie names of the gentlemen comprising the Lincoln Monument Association (now deceased.) were as follows: Gov, Richard J. Oglesby, Sharon Tyndale, (Jrlln H. Miner, Tliomas J. Dennis, John T. Stuart, Newton Hateman, Jesse K. DuBois, S. H. Treat, John C. Conkiing, O. M. Hatch, John Wil¬ liams, S. H. Melvin, Jacob Bunn, James U. Bevetldge, David L. Phil¬ lips. The temporary vault was built and the body of President Lincoln re¬ moved from the receiving vault of the cemetery on Dec. 21, 1865. The body was placed In the crypt of the monument, Sept. 19, 1871, and placed in the sarcophagus In the center of tlie catacomb Ocl. 1>, 1874. TOOI^ THAT "HANDLE" EASY $ ^ h You want tools that give the best aervice and longest wear. Finish is all right—but first, last, and all tbe time you want strength, endurance and proper balance far easiest and most effective use. There is just oue way to get such tools—see that every Land implement you buy bears tlie uame msHKumn tke sign of QUALITY. Tak J for example a KfCH KUTfift forit. Test it any way you choose it's the best, tines and tang are drawn and forged from solid crudlie steel, spring tempered in oil and in¬ dividually tested. ^t. carry a complete lim of the famous Kumamtn QUAwr tu*. Bowman's Hardware Store Good Service. Flora, Illinois BOTH PHONES FREE DELIVERY Owing to the instability of liie earth under Its foundation and the unequal settling of liie masonry the monument had liegun to show signs of dislnlegralion necessitating taking it down and rebuilding it from foundation. Tiie work was begun by Col. John C. Culver in November. 1899. and finished June 1, 1901. A cemented vault was made beneath theltoorof the catacomb directly be¬ neatli the sarcophagus, and in this vault llie liody of Lincoln was placed Sept. '20, 1901, wiiere it will probably remain forever, Tiie remains were recognizable at that time although the features were iiollow and shrunk¬ en, showing much decay. Tiie motiument is built of brick and (juincy granite, the latter material only appearing in view. II consists of a siiu'ire base 79^.^ feet on eacli side and 15 feel, 10 inches high. At tlie norlh side of tiie base is a semi-cir¬ cular projection, the interiorof wliich has a radius of 12 feel. II is tlie vestibule of the catacomb and gives access lo view the crypts in which are placed tlie txxlies of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln: the sons of President Lin¬ coln, and llis grandson, Abraiiam Lincoln, son of Hon, Robert T, Lincoln, On the south side, of the base is another seml-clrcular pro¬ jection of tlie same size but this Is continued into tiie base so as to pro¬ duce a room of ellii^tical shape whicii is called Memorial hall. Thus the base measures, including these two projections, 119>^ feet from north to south, and 79)^ feet from east to )Yest. In the angles formed by these two projections are liandsome fiiglits of stone steps, two on each end. The steps are projected by granite balus- srades, which extend completely around the tup of the base, which forms a terrace. From tlie plane of this- terrace, rises the obelisk or die which Is 28 feet 4 iriciies high from the ground and tapered to 11 feet S(|uare at the top. At the angles of the die are four pedestalsof 11 feet diameter, rising 123.^ feet above tiie plane of the terrace. This obelisk, including llie area ix-cupled by the oLiellsk is 41 feet square, wlille from the oliellsh rises the shaft tapering lu 8 feel square at the suuimll. I'p- on the four pedestals stand tlie four bronze groups, cast from con¬ demned cannon, weighing in tiie aggregate 80,000 pounds donated by the War Department, representing the four arms of the service,—In¬ fantry, Cavalry, Artillery and-Navy. Passing around the oliellsk and pedestal Is a band of shields c;ich re¬ presenting a .slate, the name of which Is carved upon ll. At the south side of the obelisk is a square pedestal, 7 feel high, supporting tiie statue of Lincoln, tiic pedestal being orna¬ mented by the coat of arms of tlie Ignited Stales. The coat of arms In the position in whicii it is placed Is supposed to represer;l llie con¬ stitution of the United States. Mr. Lincoln's statue aliove it makes liie whole an illustration of tiie posi¬ tion of Lincoln al the outbreak of the Civil War. He took Ids stand on the Oinstitution as his authority for using the four arms of the war power of the I'nlled States to hold together the states represented still lower on the monuiiienl by a cordon of tablets linking them together in a perpetual bond of Union. Tiie money used in llie original con¬ struction of this handsome mauso¬ leum came from the people by vol¬ untary contribution. The tirst entry made liy tlie treasurer of the asso¬ ciation was May 8, 18().5, and was from Isaac Reed of New Vork, $100. Then came contributions frora Sun¬ day scliools, lodges, army associations, individuals and states. Tiie 73rd Regiment, United Stales colored troops, at New Orleans, gave *l,437,— more than was received from any in¬ dividual or stale except Illinois. Many pages of the record are filled Willi contributions from Sunday schools, and of the 5,145 entries 1,(197 are from Sunday school.s. The largest partof the money was given in 18ii.», but il conllnued to come to 11.e treasurer frum all parts of thecountry uiilll 1871. About *8,ii00 was contrl buted by colored soldiers of tlie United Slates. Only three stales made appropriations for tills fund- Illinois, $5(J,t.i00i Missouri, KHXI; Ne¬ vada, »500. Tiie monument was dedicated (Jet. 15, 1874, the occasion bringing many notable people to Springfield. Gov. Richard J. Oglesby was the orator of the day. President Grant spoke brief¬ ly and a poem was read by James Lord. Tiie monument was Ijuilt after the accepted design of Larkin G. Mead of Florence. Italy, and stands on an eminence in Oak Ridge cemetery, oc¬ cupying iilwut nine acres of ground. Ground w;is iiroken on the site Sept. 10. l«l!9 in the presetioe of .".ooo people. The capstone was laid May 22, l'
|Title||Southern Illinois Record|
|Masthead||The Southern Illinois Record|
|Geographic Coverage||United States, Illinois, Clay County, Flora|
|Description||An Archive of the Southern Illinois Record Newspaper in Flora, Illinois. Flora Digitial Newspapers Collection.|
|Subject||Flora (Ill.) - Newspapers, Clay County (Ill.) - Newspapers|
|Rights||Digitized with permission from current newspaper publisher.|
|Contributing Institution||Flora Public Library|