Summary of the
TMDL Development Process for the Charleston
Side Channel Reservoir
· Collect and analyze all existing data
· Identify individuals and groups that are watershed
· Prepare a Data Inventory and Water Quality Analysis
· Plan and conduct public outreach meetings throughout
· Select appropriate computer models for estimating
current and maximum pollutant loadings
· Prepare Methodology for TMDL Development report
· Conduct water quality modeling
· Prepare report containing all data, modeling outputs,
recommended TMDL and implementation plan
· Prepare final TMDL package for submission to EPA
for review and approval
(U = Task completed)
Charleston Side Channel Reservoir TMDL
Progress Report #1
June 30, 2001
What pollutants do the TMDLs for the
Charleston Side Channel Reservoir address?
Illinois EPA (IEPA) will develop separate
TMDLs to address each cause of impairment in
the Charleston Side Channel Reservoir. At the
end of the process, the Charleston Side Channel
Reservoir will have TMDLs for phosphorus,
nitrogen, total suspended solids, and excessive
algal growth/chlorophyll a.
What activities has IEPA accomplished to
The TMDL development process involves a
number of steps (see text box on this progress
report). IEPA and its consultant, Tetra Tech,
Inc., are in the initial stages of this project.
Quarterly reports will update the public on the
progress of completing the TMDL. Provided
below is a detailed description of recent
· A Tetra Tech representative made a site visit
to the reservoir on June 4, 2001.
· Participated in a kick-off meeting in Springfield, IL, on June 5, 2001 to provide an overview of the
TMDL development process.
· Contacted individuals located in Coles and Cumberland Counties that have access to data, such as staff
at the City of Charleston Water Treatment Plant, researchers at Eastern Illinois University, and staff at
the Coles County Soil and Water Conservation District.
What are upcoming activities related to the Charleston Side Channel TMDL development
· Prepare the Data Inventory and Water Quality Analysis report. During the next few
months, Illinois EPA will work with Tetra Tech, Inc. to prepare the Data Inventory and Water
Quality Analysis report. Illinois EPA will make the final version of this report available on
the TMDL web site.
· Attend public meeting. IEPA will attend a public meeting on August 30, 2001 sponsored by
the Coles County Soil and Water Conservation District to discuss the TMDL.
How can I get involved in the Charleston Side Channel Reservoir TMDL development